OHR Multicart Compilation

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I want to start making an instruction readme for the multi-cart. Please write the following things for me. If you take the time to write something nice and cohesive, I'll include it in the readme as is. If you just want to send a bare outline, of the questions below, I can fill it and format it.

1) Credits for your game.

2) A short 1-3 sentence description of your game.

3) Controls for your game.

4) Other instructions for your game.

Optional 5) Hints and tips for your game.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I want to do a boxart more than a new title screen; in the interest of getting it done more easily (so I can get back to working on my game as well), I think I will do my own thing for it. Think 90's extreme ads but with a bit of a wacky flavor.

I might start later into the morning or the next day.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Newbie Newtype wrote:I want to do a boxart more than a new title screen; in the interest of getting it done more easily (so I can get back to working on my game as well), I think I will do my own thing for it. Think 90's extreme ads but with a bit of a wacky flavor.
Sounds perfect. Go crazy!

Backstory Version 2.0.

1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart

Megallennium Software was founded in 1988 as a subsidiary of Megallennium Race Track Services Limited, an American manufacturer of analog scoreboards for horse and dog racetrack venues.

In an attempt to diversify, Megallennium hired Charlotte “Civil” Milton to develop coin-operated gambling video games for racetracks. Civil was a computer science graduate student at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Uninterested in developing gambling games, she spent the development budget to create a game for the Nintendo Entertainment System.

The NES game was a consumer-friendly multi-cart featuring six games for the price of one. During development it was called 1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart – The New Millennium of Video Entertainment. This was later shortened to 1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart.

To help with the project, Civil Milton hired seven fellow MIT students whom she met while playing Dungeons & Dragons. Civil and her team shared a three bedroom apartment during four months of intensive development. Under Civil’s influence, work on 1999 was constant. Two of the students failed out of MIT as a result.

In 1989, 1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart was finished. Civil Milton demonstrated the completed multi-cart to Megallennium’s owner Todd Bonzalez. Bonzalez believed Civil had been working on a coin-operated gambling video game. Civil was promptly fired and the multi-cart was never released.

One member of the 1999 team was Bruce Kazantazakis. He retained a prototype of the multi-cart. In 1990, he hosted an NES competition in New York City called “Video Apocalypse”. He used 1999 as the final round challenge. Word about 1999’s radically strange games spread among the city’s gamers. Following this, Kazantazakis tried to release 1999, but was unsuccessful in purchasing the rights from Megallennium. A year later, he moved to Haiti to work as a missionary. 1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart disappeared with him.

1999: Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart was lost until 2017 when the a prototype cartridge was found and uploaded to the internet by Civil Milton’s mother, Rosie Mecherle.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Was anyone still thinking about tackling the credit screen? If not, I'll start on it.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Er...well, crud. I hope Newbie Newtype doesn't mind the competition. Although something tells me his effort is going to be slightly better.

@Willy: Which idea are you going with?
Attachments
hamster-multicart-wip.png
hamster-multicart-wip.png (713.69 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

MorpheusKitami wrote:Er...well, crud. I hope Newbie Newtype doesn't mind the competition. Although something tells me his effort is going to be slightly better.

@Willy: Which idea are you going with?
Not sure yet. Some kind of game probably. Unless someone has a better idea, I might just keep it simple with a maze game. The post-apocalypse idea that you had is good. Perhaps the player can find wrecked game cartridges or papers with the credits on them.

I can use your artwork somewhere in the game's manual. By the way, Newbie and I have written our instruction manual entries. Write yours when you can. Here is sort of how the manual looks (it's missing some formatting that will be added later):

Title Page

Code: Select all

1999&#58; Megellennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart v1.0

1999 was created with OHRRPGCE, which was developed by James Page, TMC, and others.

Credits

1999&#58; Megallennium 6-in-1 Mega Cart
Producer – A. Hagen
Game Select Menu – Gizmog
Game Select Music – "Fernando de Noronha" by Videogame Orchestra
Engine – OHRRPGCE
Technical Support – TMC, James Page
Testing – Foxley, kylekrack, Virtuous Sword

Dr. Moonlight's Happyworld
Developer – MorpheusKitami

Owlbears
Developer – Newbie Newtype

PicOHRoss
Developer – Newbie Newtype

Star Dartle 2000
Developer – MorpheusKitami, James Paige

Ultra Frontier QQYYZZ
Developer – A. Hagen
Music – Will Brehm

Xoo&#58; Xeno Xafari
Developer – A. Hagen
Music – Blipkid

Legal Stuff

Dr. Moonlight's Happyworld Copyright 2017 MorpheusKitami
Owlbears Copyright 2017 Newbie Newtype
PicOHRoss Copyright 2017 NewbieNewtype
Star Dartle 2000 Copyright 2017 MorpheusKitami and James Paige
Ultra Frontier QQYYZZ Copyright 2017 A. Hagen
Ultra Frontier QQYYZZ music Copyright 2017 Will Brehm
Xoo&#58; Xeno Xafari Copyright 2017 A. Hagen
Xoo&#58; Xeno Xafari music Copyright 2016 Blipkid

See "license-binary.txt" OHRRPGCE license information.
Owlbears

Owlbears v17.3.30

by Newbie Newtype

Story

Dr. Wartor, with fires of conquest flaring in the reflection of his lens, releases an army of scientific owl and bear hyrbrid magic monsters to invade the village! A good kobold, named Pibi, decides to brandish his magical staff and see how many fiendish baddies he can ward off before he becomes too fatigued to fight any longer.

Controls

The arrow keys change the direction Pibi is facing. Pressing the same direction while Pibi is facing that way will fire a magic shot in that direction. The Z key will also fire a magic shot. You may customize the controls in the options menu.

Scoring

Each Owlbear and their friends give a set amount of points by default.

Owlbear	100 points
Oozer		200 points
Gremlin	300 points

But that's not all they give! If Pibi blasts multiple enemies in a row in a single lane then a score multiplier will increase, multiplying these score values by that number &#40;maximum multiplier is 8x&#41;.

If Pibi has a multiplier then he has a short amount of time to keep the multiplier refreshed by defeating more enemies in the same row. If a multiplier is present, Pibi can still defeat enemies in other lanes
before the multiplier disappears.

Once Pibi has exhausted his extra lives the game is over and the total amount of points accumulated that game will display. If this score is high enough to display on the high score table, it will be written to disk.

Pibi can earn an extra life starting at 15,000 points, and then every score value multiplied by 3 after that.

As monsters are defeated, they will gradually become faster. Try to score many points as early as possible!

Enemies

Owlbears – Owlbears are big, they are fast, but most importantly they are mean, hungry, and there are a lot of them! They make up the bulk of Dr. Wartor's monster army and constantly come at every direction.

Owlbears begin moving slowly, but they gain more speed than other monsters if left unchecked. Blast them quickly!

Oozer – Oozer is an ooze that wears a mask to give itself a cute face. They move slowly, but they are made of gelatin and can bounce high to avoid your shots.

Be careful when you defeat Oozers, they have a last trick up their sleeve when you've thought you've destroyed them!

Gremlin – Gremlins are Dr. Wartor's air force. They will circle around the battle field until slowly descending on Pibi when he least expects it. Don't let other enemies distract you! Time a good shot before it is too late!

General Options

You may revert to default controls as described in these instructions in the options menu.

It is also possible to reset the high score table. A warning will appear prompting whether you are sure you want to proceed with the action.

Use the left and right arrow keys to adjust the volume of sound and music. The sound is set to low by default for the protection of players with loud sound systems or loud headsets, adjust accordingly before playing.

You may quit at any time during the game by pressing Esc or Alt, then selecting Quit Game. A prompt will display with a quickly moving Pibi. Move Pibi to the 'yes' side to quit the game.

Additional Credits

Uses the 3rd Party HSI, rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Scripts&#58;3rd_Par
ty_HSI

Contains bitmap graphics based on the Fenwick Woodtype font

Uses an approximation of the NES palette

Tools Used&#58; BFXR for Sound Effects &#40;except when a sound effect bundled with OHRRPGCE is used&#41;, TIATracker for music, Graphics Gale and OHRRPGCE for bitmap art
Xoo

Xoo&#58; Xeno Xafari v1.0

by A. Hagen
music by Will Brehm

Story

You are on safari on XOO ISLAND. Located in the Bermuda Triangle, the island is home to alien XENOS from across the universe. You can camp on XOO ISLAND all summer. Enjoy its natural beauty and find all the XENOS.

Objective

The goal is Xoo&#58; Xeno Xafari is to have fun and chill out.The secondary goal is to fill your XENO CATALOG by spotting all 95 XENOS.

Wander XOO ISLAND. When you spot a XENO, touch it. New XENOS will be added to your XENO CATALOG. When you run out of ENERGY, rest at your campsite to recover.

You can also find and sell EGGS for MONEY. Use your laptop to cool camping gear.

Controls

Navigate with ARROW KEYS. Open/close menus with ESC. Select things with ENTER, SPACE, or CTRL.

Gear

Xeno Pop&#58; Lures a special special XENO. Keep drinking until you see it!
Map&#58; It's great. It's a map, GPS, and XENO radar. Just buy it!
Telescope&#58; Spot AVIAN XENOS.
Periscope&#58; Spot AQUATIC XENOS.
Microscope&#58; Spot INSECT XENOS.
Fishing Pole&#58; Go fishing for a special XENO.
Birdbath&#58; Lures a special XENO.
Furry Outfit&#58; Lures a special XENO and is fun to wear.
Fresh Outfit&#58; Looks cool but is otherwise useless.
Funky Outfit&#58; Looks radical but is otherwise usless.
Trail Mix&#58; Increases max ENERGY.
Boots&#58; Hike really fast.
Zipline&#58; Return to campsite.
Lure&#58; All XENOS appear more. Awesome!
Souvenir&#58; Remember this sweet trip forever. 
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Post-apocalyptic game it is then. I'll work on it straightaway. I'll also get to work on those manual entries too.
Two things that I kinda want to mention quickly:
1)That image is actually a smaller version of the finished product, lemme know if you want the large version.
2)Could you put James' name first on Star Dartle? What he did was a bit more important than me finishing it, since I'd never think or even know how to start a shooter in the engine to begin with.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Thank you, but don't underestimate how important all the stuff you did was. You turned my tiny tech demo into a full, fun, challenging game! I would be happy with second billing :)
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Let's get this thing done!

I'm assembling the first "non-beta" release of the game. Morpheus and Newbie, make any last changes and then send me your most updated versions of the game files.

*Please make sure the game starts in full screen mode.

*Also, delete the option to change between full screen and windowed mode from your game's menu. Due to some display inconsistencies in the "run game" command, the compilation will run in full screen all the time.

*Make "quit game" menu option use the "run game" script to open the menu. If you leave your files unlocked, I will do this for you.

Newbie:
*How is the box art coming along?

Morpheus:
*How is the credit game coming?
*Have you started writing your section of the game manual yet?
*Send me the high resolution version of your artwork. I'm going to include it in the manual.

Here Is What Is On My List:
*Assemble the game package.
*Record a video trailer. I haven't been able to do this because I need to borrow a hard drive recorder from where I work, but one has not been available. It will be done ASAP next week.
*Take some screen shots and write some advertising copy.
*Upload the product to Slime Salad, GameJolt, and Itch.io.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

The boxart is about halfway done. These things take time.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

The credits game should be done by Sunday, and I'll send you everything else you asked for then too.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

You won't have to remove the fullscreen/windowed options, because I figured out the fullscreening bug.

At least, I think I have; I couldn't quite reproduce the problem you had, but I had something else similar happen instead.

I haven't committed the fix to svn yet; needs a little more testing.

Also, I wonder whether the engine should use just one shared fullscreen/windowed setting for all games spawned from "run game", meaning never switching between fullscreen/windowed when "run game" is called. Hmm, probably not a good idea in general, but if there was a setting to turn on that behaviour, would it be useful?
Last edited by TMC on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

TMC wrote: Also, I wonder whether the engine should use just one shared fullscreen/windowed setting for all games spawned from "run game", meaning never switching between fullscreen/windowed when "run game" is called. Hmm, probably not a good idea in general, but if there was a setting to turn on that behaviour, would it be useful?
I would definitely use that for the multi-cart if you could implement it!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK. I just have to decide whether to make it an option in the initial/menu game, the subgame, or an argument to rungame. Hmm, since rungame is (currently) used to chain back, I guess it makes most sense to make this an option in the initial game, which remains in effect regardless of all rungame calls.

Oh, that's right. I totally forgot that I wanted to add an option to rungame to make the sub-game just return to the original game when it quits normally.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Two potential complaints:

A) If you open the thing in Game.exe, the Megallenium file lists Gomie as the author, and that oughta be Megallenium Group or something.

B) It's still using a font from a Shin Megami Tensei game. That may or may not be a legal issue? But if you're going to sell this thing (which makes me paranoid as hell) it's worth knowing about. Any imported font should instantly fix the issue.