A review of Nathan's Halloween

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

A review of Nathan's Halloween

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

So this was one of four entries admitted to the 2016 Halloween Contest, and it's astonishingly short. The author claims it only took ~50 minutes to throw it together for the contest deadline, and to the game's credit IT IS COMPLETE. In fact, all the games this year were completed - which is a trend I'd love to see continue!

There's not much here to talk about though. The game takes place on a completely black screen with one ghost NPC and your main character on opposite corners. Talking to the ghost initiates a battle on a down-sampled version of the classic sandsea.bmp. And then you get a single piece of candy, and are trapped alone in the dark with only the silly in-jokes in your status menu to comfort you once the crippling depression sets in.

I wish I could say more about the game, but there really is that little to talk about. So maybe this is a metaphor for something, or I might be reading too much into it, but there's nothing particularly spooky here - and really, none of the recent Halloween entries classify as that. I think I would have preferred Nathan's other game, which was started around Halloween last year. But then, not all of the contest games would've been complete, would they?