Official MEGA-THREAD for "Finish Your Damn Game" Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Thanks for the hasty reply. I think I get it now. When you call "add craft recipe", you specify ($x="y" , @z) as inputs for the extra parameters (ie "name" & "which script") . I wasn't sure what the $ and @ were for but I looked it up in the dictionary.

Regards.
vvight.wordpress.com
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

What's everyone doing? Christmas shopping? Forum-Lurking?
It's about a month that I joined the contest! :)

Here's my newest progress:
I'm a bit frustrated because Calc is quite efficient at hindering the game making process... It craches way to often. >:(

I got the cafting script working, with a menu bug. See: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7147
Some tilesets were improved and images were drawn. I've been working and cursing a lot at speadsheets lately.
The drawing is really fun, the latter it's not that much fun... and lots of work got lost on programm crashes. :(

I set up the crafting system based on areas. Different areas will be accessible by progressing the game. You get access to new ressources there.
So it can be limit what items the player can produce by there the player can go. If the recipce requiring an item that the player has not yet access to, it can't be produced (and won't show up in the carfting menu dialogue). It also should not be sold by a NPC trader, of course.
This mechanism is the reason why I need to pay a lot of attention to the items the enemies give as reward.

I also came up with a bit more dialogue. Overall the storyboard is making very little progress.
Writing seems to be the most difficult task at the moment, because it's not my mother tounge.
I am not sure what words/expressions suit the characters best. It's these nuances that trouble me.
Anyone here who would like to do beta-reading + give advice and help me? (^^)
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

Umm...hi. I'm very new to the community. I mean...I've been lurking for nearly a year...but this is my first attempt at actual contact. @.@

My dad introduced me to OHR when I mentioned an interest in telling a certain story by making a game. It's a story that's been a huge part of me for over 10 years. I started out trying to make THAT game. I quickly decided that it shouldn't be my first project...especially with absolutely no experience at that time. I am still a beginner...especially when it comes to pixel art. I have a long way to go...but I'm happy(ish) with what I've been able to do so far. I do see where I can improve...and I will...eventually. :) I've done a lot of research online (about pixel art), and I've re-played a few retro games...but I'm taking my time. Rushing almost never helps...especially when it comes to art.

Anyway...long story made not as long: I've made a lot of in-between projects that are nowhere near being finished. Some were just experiments. Others will eventually become actual games. My current project was started in June. To get myself to actually FINISH something...I told my sister and cousin that I would make a game for them. I expected it to take 2 weeks. Then 2 months...and it just kept growing and growing from there. Work on it has been kind of on and off...but I do tend to obsess. I don't expect it to be perfect, of course...but it's a starting point. I'm not entirely sure that it will be finished by January 31st...but it does seem to be nearing completion. :)

Some screenshots:
Title screen (still a work-in-progress...) :

Character selection screen:
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Not exactly a new game, but I updated Festivus.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Xer0.the.Dark wrote:Umm...hi. I'm very new to the community. I mean...I've been lurking for nearly a year...but this is my first attempt at actual contact. @.@
Welcome! Feel free to ask questions or advice. Sorry for the slow reply.
Pixel art definitely isn't easy, since it's so different from other media that you start with no relative experience. But with a simple style that lets you draw quickly it doesn't have to be hard either.
I shouldn't be too surprised that someone is introduced to the OHR by a parent, since the OHR was first released nearly 19 years ago!

Nice, I wasn't expecting a Festivus update
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

The game is still not finished, but I have posted an updated version of Puckamon for the first time in six years. (Hard to believe it's been six years since I started working on that game... but yep, the last version was uploaded in mid-2010.)

Here's some of what's new since the last update:

Image Image
New palette. Old version (left screenshot) was just the green row of the OHR default palette; new version is based on one of the Game Boy Color palettes if I'm remembering right.

The Puckadex now has a "Seen/Caught" counter just like the ones in actual Pokémon games.

Image Image
There's two more Gyms to challenge, bringing the total up to six. You can also go back and have a rematch with one of the earlier Gym Leaders after getting five badges, so technically there's seven Gym battles in the game now.

Image Image
Several new dungeon-type areas, where you can find some of the dozen-ish new Puckamon that weren't catchable in the previous version.

Team Sputnik's hideout.

A couple of things that were previously unavailable in the first few towns become possible later on in this version -- like trading Puckamon with someone in Ballpeen City's Puckamon Center.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

TMC wrote:
Welcome! Feel free to ask questions or advice. Sorry for the slow reply.
Pixel art definitely isn't easy, since it's so different from other media that you start with no relative experience. But with a simple style that lets you draw quickly it doesn't have to be hard either.
I shouldn't be too surprised that someone is introduced to the OHR by a parent, since the OHR was first released nearly 19 years ago!
Thanks! :) I've been trying not to ask for help so far, because I want to try to figure things out. It takes me a few tries sometimes...and it's all probably a bit jumbled...but it's working at least. As for the art...it doesn't help that most of my experience with digital art comes from MS Paint and photoshop. xD My main problem is simplifying the artwork. I do like minimalist pixel art, though. I'm just now starting to work on shading...

My dad has been working on games for much longer than I have...but I've always had a good imagination and nowhere to really use it. My only regret with my current project is that it started out being rushed. I'm already planning for a sequel/prequel, though...and it will be much more planned out/structured.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I've been working on the battle system lately.
It still needs some bug finding and fixing, (= hunting down wrong settings in the attack menu).
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

ohmigawsh! this is so exciting!
I seriously considered entering this contest, but that would have given me one week~ to design and create a fully fledged game. I sincerely hope there will be more contests in the future cuz I would love to join in (4 realz)!
How are y'all doing? coming along nicely?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

My housing situation just became even worse. About three weeks ago they looked over my application, accepted it, and told me I was approved. Today I checked my email and it said that I didn't have enough money to move in after all.

I haven't really been working on my game(s) in about two months because of the impending doom hanging over my head all this time. And, as a perfect summary of my life as a whole, there is no plan B.

EDIT: And somehow this message posted to the wrong thread, which serves me right for tabbed browsing all the time.
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sorry to hear that Nathan; I've seen people completely lose months of their lives for similar reasons. The first step to a Plan B may be just making a difficult decision you're putting off.

Gosh, I had forgotten that Jan 31st was the deadline. I wasn't planning on entering, since I've been running my own parallel dev thread, but suddenly I see an opportunity to take part by reviving an old game...

It's too bad the dev updates haven't really caught on; will there be a finally push? I was really looking forward to Galya!
I sincerely hope there will be more contests in the future cuz I would love to join in (one day)!
Contests are our favourite past-time.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

It's too bad the dev updates haven't really caught on; will there be a finally push? I was really looking forward to Galya!
Maybe everyone is busy working on games and therefore not posting?
There are still some hours left ... Don't give up! :D

(I am posting so you can tell I am not working... :angel: )
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I have not made any further progress on Wandering Hamster since the last time I posted a screenshot.

I am really happy that this contest motivated me to make some progress on it--

Unfortunately I have been side-tracked with a lot of non-ohrrpgce-related programming recently

I have to learn Unity3D and C# for a thing, which while mandatory, has still been pretty fun
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

The contest is over!
Time for discussion and feedback?
Any ideas what KFHarlock is doing?

Well, according to the rules I failed. I "only" finished a demo, I learned new things about the game engine and plot scripting.
It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun and therefor I don't feel like I failed.

I liked that there were some posts on what other people were planning and doing. :)
TMC's informative thread "Official MICRO-blog THREAD for Finish Your Damn Game Engine" would not be there without the contest.
I would have enjoyed the contest even more if there had been more constant talk, feedback and discussion.
It might have been a bit unlucky that the contest collided with the OHR Multicart Complilation,
so there where two things going on at the same time.
I hope there will be another contest like this some time in the future. :)

Just my thoughts. How do you think about the contest?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It wasn't a bad thing that the Multicart project overlapped: anyone who finished a game for that would automatically also have finished a game for this contest.

I realised a few days ago that I had an excellent opportunity to enter a game for this contest by finishing Carcere Vicis, which actually already had pretty much all the content of a complete game and an ending, but was so buggy and unbalanced that that it became unplayable at some point. Also, it needs more polish, like attack animations. But I was sitting on an unreleased new version (which I've now released) so half the work is already done. Feels like cheating. It's definitely still not "finished" however. I will continue it at some point.
Attachments
It looks something like this
It looks something like this
cv_iteminfo.png (15.06 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
Last edited by TMC on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.