CAMPAIGN: Queen Arkwyn's Crown (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The crown in its box is still safe and secure in Hyne's pack.

The man grabs ahold of the axe, and lets Hyne pull him up, dripping and sputtering.

His boots are gone, apparently he kicked them off the moment he fell in the water. His hat, somehow, has remained on his head. salt water drips from the corners.

"Ptu! Ptooey!" he spits and clears the brine out of his nose. "Thank you, young man!" he exclaims. Then glances back at the king's bonfire ship, before excusing himself "I really must run!"

He leaves Hyne behind, and hurries directly towards the Yanorin and the Flying Eye Goddess.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne decides to let the man go on ahead, preferring to want to talk to the captain in his own ship and not out here. He continues to head down the path he found to avoid the funeral to get to his destination.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

When Hyne reaches his destination, he sees the man he just rescued from the water standing at the top of the gangplank talking to Mr Skoth, the big blue-skinned quartermaster who Hyne spoke with earlier in the day.

"...be damned twice if I don't get to the bottom of what is happening!" rages the dripping man. "The Lockeans and the Umbarlees were almost at each others throats the whole party, like they were just barely containing the urge to pull out swords and have at each other, right there in front of the Queen-- who was wearing an illusion on her head, by the way!"

"A what?" asks Skoth, seeming caught flat-footed by this tirade

"An illusion! On her head! Instead of the real crown! It might have fooled most people, but I saw through it. And the whole time, Old High Priest Marglov is baiting the High Priests of Umbarlee and Lockean, like he wanted them to start fighting, like he though it was funny!"

"I don't..." protests Skoth.

"And then The Queen won't come to see her own father's funeral boat off, and then just as the funeral boat is ready to go, one of the Pelorian Paladins strips off his armor, and jumps into the boat, and takes an oar next to the Umbarlee Suicide crew, and Marglov acts like he didn't even see it, and Tancred and Cray are standing on either side staring daggers at each other. I don't like any of it. I don't understand it, and I don't like it. How soon can we set sail?"

"Set sail, Captain?" asks Skoth, in dismay, glancing up at the storm clouds, which have now gone past the point of simply looming, and are cresting like a god-sized nebulous wave over the harbor.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

While walking up the plank, Hyne starts to overhear the talk feud from what seems like the ship Captain of the pirate factions setting fire to their prior smoldering. It seems a lot had happened while he was stalked at every corner of the city and was trying to remain low key.

He gives a slight wave and a smile to the both of them, "Quite a bit of news today, huh? I heard there was a fellow that fell in the water and needed to be pulled out." He scratches his cheek with a shrug, "I figured that was worth mentioning."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Wizard Crawford glances back at Hyne and grins, water still dripping from his beard.

"I can round up the crew..." offers Mr Skoth, "...but some of them might not come."

"Fetch all who are ready to sail," replies Captain Crawford, "And hire some new hands if we need to."

And then to Hyne, "You did me a good turn young man. What's your name? And do you know any cantrips?"

Skoth salutes, looking frustrated. He grabs the curly-bearded halfling, and they rush down the plank past Hyne and back towards town to round up the crew.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Thulsa Stormeel, sir. I know some basic divine spells, if that's as good as a cantrip. I've been meaning to speak to you, the Captain."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Well Stormeel, I like a man who knows a spell or two. I was about to offer you a job, but first, what did you want to speak to me about?"
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"It was about that," he answers, "I was hoping to see about arranging passage to head to the continent on the eastern seas, and I'm willing to pay or work for it."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Perfect, Lad! We'll be able to put you to work immediately! The Eastern seas, you say? Perchance do you have a chart to your destination? I am more of a Western Seas man myself, by dint of long experience."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Well, I was having a map made for the inlands, but the shop did have a map of the sea leading there. The cartographer prefers making sea charts from what he told me."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Right then, Lad! You're hired! Skoth will work out the details later. Now, your first job is to run and fetch us the best map you can."

Then Captain Crawford turns to skinny half-elf who is the only other person still on the deck of the ship. "Tip! I don't want to be too short-handed. Go and see if any of your cousins wants work"

"Aye-Aye, Capt'n!" she chirps, snapping off a salute, and jumping head-first into ocean.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

ooc wrote:Can we say that Hyne went and bought the map he needed and came back since there isn't as much danger of him being seen at this point?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

dm wrote:We'll fast forward through half of that :)
Hyne returns to the tent of Meleander the Cartographer without incident. Nobody notices him.

The warforged mapmaker is hunched over his drafting desk. He has a quill pen in each hand, and they are both moving at blinding speed over the large canvas he has spread out and pinned down over most of the table. The spidery outline of the same map Meleander showed Hyne earlier is already visible over the whole canvas, and now Meleander is adding beautiful lacelike details to the coastline near Srappa. Hyne can see crosshatching that indicates reefs and shoals, and patterns of arrows indicating ocean currents.

"Thursa Stormeel!" Meleander says by way of greeting, but he does not look up from his work. His eyes seem to be moving as fast as his hands, and his head occasionally jerks to the side as he consults one of four different leather-bound reference books arrayed open on a set of wire-frame lecterns next to his table.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne nods as he glances at the inhumanly made design. It's not like magic which is artsy and glowy.. It's.. calculated and perfect, and the cartographer is capable of drawing details in a time that would take months for anyone else. Once he realizes how incredible this is, he points down and asks, "How come not every captain buys a map from your shop? You create such valuable work but it's as if nobody knows about your work." After a moment he adds, "I know you're still working on the specially made map I asked, but perhaps you have a sea chart to navigate to the eastern seas already made? The captain of the Flying Eye Goddess needs a copy."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Oh, most of them do buy my charts eventually, if they have any respect for craft or love for art... but I'll tell you truthfully, the price I quoted you is considerably lower than what I usually charge for this service, because this is a map that I have been wanting to make."

When Hyne mentions the Captain of the Flying Eye Goddess, Meleander glances up. Both hands pause for a moment. Then he looks down again and his hands resume. "So you are an associate of the Illustrious Captain Wizard Crawford, are you? Is he going here?" one of his hands stops drawing and points to the eastern edge of the map. That portion of the map is the most unfinished part of the canvas.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.