CAMPAIGN: Queen Arkwyn's Crown (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"I knew I should have protested the first opportunity. I had thought the red wheels were normal for the wealthy lot, but now I can't help but feel that I'm live bait," he explains. After continuing to look over the vehicle and its horrid decor and condition, he adds, "and I was never told about.. everything else I see here."

He turns to the mixed Dwarf, calling him out based on his attire, "Holy man, do you know what the High Priestess looks like?" Though he knows little about Pelor or other gods or their religions, he assumes enough to make a connection for the practical matters at hand.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

"High Priestess?" the dwarf asks, as he fetches a comb out of his pack and begins to groom his wild hair. "We don't have one-- at least, not in the Srappan branch of the Church of Pelor. Our High Priest is old Marglov The Bright"

The man under the wagon begins whistling in tune with the trumpets.

The gentle breeze carries the smell of the frying meat... and something with eggs too, it smells like.

"You have a thing for Holy Women?" asks the dwarf with a wry grin. "Because if you'll settle for a Paladin, there are more than a few fine looking women in my order."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne fails to stifle a snicker once he's teased, "No, sir. I'm not much of a settling type. I was just- ah, forget about it." He'll have to figure out who to meet on site on his own, it seems.

He turns his attention back to the wagon, "But I'll take your suggestions for a new rental."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Eh? Rental? I don't follow." says the dwarf.

The man under the wagon scoots out and stands up, dusting dirt off his knees, and in the process adding streaks of oil from his hands onto his pants legs.

He has yellow eyes, and large horns on his temples. There are smile lines around his mouth and crows feet around his eyes. His hair is disheveled. He is still whistling. He fetches a tall stovepipe hat off the buckboard of the wagon, and shoves it on his head. The combination of the hat and his patch-riddled jacked makes him look like the sort of man who would be selling patent snake oil at a carnival.

He makes eye contact with Hyne and smiles.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne decides to begin disregarding the Paladin at this point, understanding the responses as being unaware of Hyne's given mission. He smiles and nods to the wagon worker, but not wanting to bring up his concerns with somebody that had little to do with the decision and would only be offended, he soon trots off back to the camp. He decides to look for the Duke from last night with an air of urgency in his step.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Hyne returns to the Duke's tent. The bodyguard seems to notice this, and leaves off his whittling to follow Hyne in at a respectful distance

"Hyne! I see you have the box already, good!" Duke Borgan seems to have just finished a plate of eggs. "The procession leaves soon, have you found Erato Borodubur yet?"

The Duke leaves his fork, and starts lacing up his riding boots.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Before Hyne can even bypass the slight draping of the tent opening over his head, he explains, "It would be better if I rode in a different wagon. The one you are offering draws too much attention."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Huh." Duke Borgan sighs.

"Well, the box needs to arrive inside that cart with the red wheels, but I don't really care where exactly you and the box are located for the 3-day journey to the capital, just as long as it is safely inside the cart when it rolls into the city."

The Duke picks up an impractical decorative winged helmet, similar to the ones worn by the honor-guard out by the King's death-wagon.

"Your worries about the conspicuousness of the cart are misplaced. This whole funeral procession is going to be absurdly conspicuous. I only care that you and the box are inconspicuous. Don't think of 'hiding in the dark', rather think, 'hiding in plain sight'"
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne pauses and nods for a moment, but his concern doesn't fully wane, "You'll have to pardon me if I still find my role in this dubious. I understand there must be a reason for the wagon being what it is, even as some kind of marked delivery, but even hiding in plain sight must have its limits?" His mind recalls what should've been an otherwise neglected spot at the shoreline.

He continues to let the tent curtain drape over a raised arm. He glances sideways for a second, "Besides, as I understand it I am supposed to be a common noble of some sort, but I'm sure somebody would assume I'm more than that if I am a passenger in a Duke of note's wagon."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Oh, I won't be in any wagon." explains the Duke. "I'll be riding at the head of the procession until noon, Then I have to ride back and stay here. The honor of attending the funeral and coronation does not outweigh my duty to stay here and lead the border defenses."

"And none of the wagons following the procession are official in any capacity. Some will carry minor nobles, some will carry simple tourists who want to see the coronation."

The Duke fits the helmet on his head. He frowns at the way it blocks his peripheral vision.

"By the way, if you decide to ride in a different wagon, make sure you pay Erato for a seat on the red-wheeled wagon. Don't want to get to the capital and find he has already sold the seat to somebody else."

The Duke tosses Hyne an extra gold coin.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne lets the coin lay over his palm for a second before pocketing it in one of his belt satchels. He presses one more question for the Duke, "And one more thing.. how will I know when I find the High Priestess?"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"She's hard to miss." says the Duke. "Very beautiful. Long curly hair, dark skin, human."

He goes back to his desk, grabs up a pen and paper and sketches a holy symbol and hands it to Hyne.

"This is the holy symbol of Lockean." She will have one of these on her vestiments.

"But it is better if you don't speak to her. She is only there for the box, she isn't there for you."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

A moment passes that justifies finally entering the tent and setting his belongings down; he lightly holds the sheet and examines the design for a brief second. "Not so subtle about being a heart breaker, is she?" he comments, sarcasm apparent in his remark about the design that seems to feature a spear about to be driven through said heart.

He sets the scribble aside, "Not that I was expecting a beauty. I will take my leave now and resume preparation." He busies his arms once again to pick back up his equipment and the box.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Borgan chuckles. "She's far from being the only beautiful heartbreaker in the Capital."

Outside, the bodyguard seems satisfied that he is not needed, and is sitting down and whittling again. The stick he is holding now rather looks like a duck swimming underwater with neck outstretched.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Hyne returns to resume preparations he had interrupted. He first returns to the Duke's wagon, where he'll attempt to engage in an exchange to purchase the seat to prevent it from being occupied. He will then ask where he can purchase a seat of another wagon.

Once that is done, he will look for any place he can find attire appropriate for his given role.