OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, interesting. Perhaps we should just always map the first POV hat to axis 0/1? Or maybe that would be a silly limitation.
SDL 2 comes with a large database of configuration for different controllers. I'm not sure what it actually contains, but it probably means gfx_sdl2 will have much better gamepad support.
VapourSword wrote:In the map editor, when placing NPCs, how about making the current selected NPC more visible on the map? Such as a highlight, flash or icon?
You mean the cursor? I agree, it can be hard to see the cursor and the NPCs in NPC placement mode and it could do with improvements.

[/quote]When there's a lot of NPCs, and you're looking for a specific one that's been placed, it can be difficult.
I know you can change the walkabout to something more visible, so, it's not a big deal. Just an idea for finding specific NPCs in the map editor.[/quote]
Already implemented... hey, why isn't this in whatsnew.txt? Oh, turns out that I never pushed that feature. Whoops. I'll go search for it tomorrow, I must have left it on a git branch somewhere.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

One more joystick thing: The d-pad and stick don't seem to work on menus at all (including battle) but the Use and Cancel buttons work correctly everywhere. This is on a Nightly I downloaded 12/29/17. I tested a game running off of an older version of game.exe and they worked correctly there.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah yes. I have a long list of places where joystick controls don't work. I guess that list got longer as we rewrote controls in some of the menus. (I'm not sure which menus exactly you're referring to.) Did they still work in those menus in Etheldreme? Feel free to argue that joystick support should be a blocker for Fufluns. I assume that nobody uses the joystick support, since it hasn't worked correctly since the DOS days.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:Ah yes. I have a long list of places where joystick controls don't work. I guess that list got longer as we rewrote controls in some of the menus. (I'm not sure which menus exactly you're referring to.) Did they still work in those menus in Dwimmercrafty?
Default menu, choice boxes, battles, load and save screens are the menus that I noticed it not working. I'm not sure which version the older games I'm testing were made in, but it was some version from 2016 where everything works as it should (except for load and save). Does not work in Etheldreme stable release.
Feel free to argue that joystick support should be a blocker for Fufluns. I assume that nobody uses the joystick support, since it hasn't worked correctly since the DOS days.
It was one of the most common bits of feedback I got from people playing the Steam release of C. Kane. Joysticks work fine in that game with Ctrl + J but it's an extra step to have to explain to people.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I was thinking of this thread from May 2017, you and Fnrrf listed a bunch of stuff that didn't work. I did discover that joystick cursor movement in many menus has been broken since Zenzizenzic in 2011. That's clear from the code. Specifically, save/load, textbox choices, shops, inn, equip, toplevel spell lists menu, and the battle top-level menu.

On the other hand, C. Kane was released in 2013. And I found this thread where Meatballsub was complaining that he couldn't run from battle using a USB gamepad. (Which is a problem that Fyrewulff has been complaining about for at least a decade). Obviously if all that other stuff was also broken, he wouldn't be complaining just about running from battles.

So my theory is that certain gamepads, maybe in conjunction with Windows version and OHR graphics backend, pressing the dpad buttons also sends keyboad arrow key events, which is why it kept working even after the code was broken starting in Zenzizenzic.

Anyway, I can certainly fix it for Fufluns. I can scale back the rewrite I was doing.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:I was thinking of this thread from May 2017, you and Fnrrf listed a bunch of stuff that didn't work. I did discover that joystick cursor movement in many menus has been broken since Zenzizenzic in 2011. That's clear from the code. Specifically, save/load, textbox choices, shops, inn, equip, toplevel spell lists menu, and the battle top-level menu.

On the other hand, C. Kane was released in 2013. And I found this thread where Meatballsub was complaining that he couldn't run from battle using a USB gamepad. (Which is a problem that Fyrewulff has been complaining about for at least a decade). Obviously if all that other stuff was also broken, he wouldn't be complaining just about running from battles.

So my theory is that certain gamepads, maybe in conjunction with Windows version and OHR graphics backend, pressing the dpad buttons also sends keyboad arrow key events, which is why it kept working even after the code was broken starting in Zenzizenzic.

Anyway, I can certainly fix it for Fufluns. I can scale back the rewrite I was doing.
Thank you! It's totally weird the way this all works.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

So we can set a "cursor offset" for enemies & heroes. Could we have a similar anchor for attack animations, so we can set their relative position per enemy/hero?
vvight.wordpress.com
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

...that is an awesome suggestion. Attack animation offset, kinda like the weapon hand offsets.

Another thought along those lines, what about bitsets for "show animation at top/bottom/center of target" that override these settings? We have general bitsets for centered vs. bottom, but it'd be kinda neat to make that a per-attack thing. Could be used to make (for example) an attack that's rising from the ground, a speech-bubble sort of animation that shows over the enemy's head, and other stuff along those lines.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I'm liking these ideas alot. I've found that with the smaller sprite sizes I use many of the animations can look awkward no matter what I do with them.
vvight.wordpress.com
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I have another suggestion regarding animations:

Chained attacks: an option that the "attacker" remains in the same position as during the previous attack in the chain.
Eg: Bob uses the "cast" animation when casting a spell, which is chained to a second effect. Have Bob remain in the "step forward" position for the duration of the chained attack, rather than stepping back and then having the animation happen.
I think having this option as a bitset would be the best way to do it, as you could then have (eg) Bob stays standing in place after stepping forward, and then uses his cast animation again, or, Bob dashes in, attacks, and then uses his attack animation again for a follow up attack without returning to his position between. It would also make sense to do it this way so that "null" attacker animations can be used for attacks that chain to status effects, without waiting for the hero to step back into place before playing the animation.
Last edited by guo on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I'm on a roll today.

We can already set which "stats" are hidden, can we take it a step further and hide experience & levels on the status screen? It would go a long way for games that have custom levelling systems.
Last edited by guo on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

guo wrote:I have another suggestion regarding animations:

Chained attacks: an option that the "attacker" remains in the same position as during the previous attack in the chain.
This is a great suggestion
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

My HeartBugs pledge is going to get me out of so many feature requests made in this thread!
Of course, feel free to continue requesting stuff. I'm going to prioritise requests officially made through the contest, but since there's a contest on I'd like to help out with features people want for their games anyway.

The animation positioning, I am actually planning in relatively near future as part of other animation work. My idea currently is to let you give enemy and hero sprites "handle" points which you can use to align attack sprites, attacker-target alignment, foot position, and eventually even weapons.

Maybe I need to post a list of stuff I want to do soon anyway, to avoid confusion.
guo wrote:I have another suggestion regarding animations:

I think this should be handled as a per-attack option "After attack attacker: returns to formation position/returns to previous position/doesn't move". Not applicable to to Jump/Land. And nothing to do with chaining.

Hiding level/experience should just be put in the Stat Visibility menu I guess.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

When we create a new sprite, and we are setting its dimensions, can we use direction keys + SHIFT and CTRL to jump in units of (e.g;)5, 10 etc., ?
Or maybe it could have some other behaviour, like doubling/halving, or using multiples of a digit to jump to numbers?
or holding down SHIFT and typing numbers to add them up etc.,
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well, there's nothing special about that prompt, so I guess really you're asking for faster scrolling of number entry fields throughout Custom. Not something I've ever thought of before! Except for changing number fields with the mouse wheel, where faster scrolling is needed.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.