OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Couple ideas I've had in the last few days...

New Attack Type: Boomerang, could utilize Projectile and Reverse Projectile? It seems easy enough in theory?

What about the ability to level up weaknesses and resistances through natural level ups like other stats? What if a certain icy pirate penguin *cough* James *cough* was weak to fire and electricity but over time they gradually could overcome it through perseverance? I mean you can level up HP to change your situation and endurance, why not elements?
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

RedMaverickZero wrote:Couple ideas I've had in the last few days...

New Attack Type: Boomerang, could utilize Projectile and Reverse Projectile? It seems easy enough in theory?

What about the ability to level up weaknesses and resistances through natural level ups like other stats? What if a certain icy pirate penguin *cough* James *cough* was weak to fire and electricity but over time they gradually could overcome it through perseverance? I mean you can level up HP to change your situation and endurance, why not elements?
Can't this boomerang idea be faked in some simple way? I'm not experienced with making attacks in the engine but it seems like it's possible.

As for the elemental level up I think that would be awesome! I particularly like the idea of being able to level up weakness. I think it could be interesting to create a character who continues to become weaker to a specific element but grows other stats to compensate.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

It's funny that this is brought up today, as I have just been playing around with an elemental resistance level up system. I'd also like to be able to display them, though I know it could be done with slices rather easily.
Last edited by guo on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
Bird
Slime Knight

Boomerang

Post by Bird »

A boomerang attack is used in the game Teekee by Frnnfgmsch. Probably it is a chain of two attacks: One that has "Projectile" as attack animation and a second one that has "Reverse Projectile" as attack animation. The same bitmap is used, so it looks like the thrown object comes back after hitting the enemy.
Last edited by Bird on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Re: Boomerang

Post by RMZ »

Bird wrote:A boomerang attack is used in the game Teekee by Frnnfgmsch. Probably it is a chain of two attacks: One that has "Projectile" as attack animation and a second one that has "Reverse Projectile" as attack animation. The same bitmap is used, so it looks like the thrown object comes back after hitting the enemy.
Yeah I know, it's how I've done it in the past, but it seems that it could maybe be done a little easier and with less attack chaining maybe. It'd definitely look cleaner.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

You know the new sprite browser? Is there a way to jump to the end of row or column using e.g. CTRL/Shift + Direction keys?
Alternately, how about wrapping the columns/rows?
edit: For small sprites browsing, perhaps skipping a few at a time would be more appropriate?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

RedMaverickZero wrote:New Attack Type: Boomerang, could utilize Projectile and Reverse Projectile? It seems easy enough in theory?
Definitely possible and not too hard. Since I'm working on attack animations anyway, I'll probably give it a go soon.
Virtuous Sword wrote:You know the new sprite browser? Is there a way to jump to the end of row or column using e.g. CTRL/Shift + Direction keys?
Alternately, how about wrapping the columns/rows?
Hmm, the cursor should wrap around, but it's not actually obvious to me how to accomplish that; see, the menu code used for that supports arbitrary placements of menu items, so they aren't necessarily arranged in rows. Will think about it. Maybe just needs to be special cased.
edit: For small sprites browsing, perhaps skipping a few at a time would be more appropriate?
What do you mean by that?
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I'll bet we could do the cursor wrapping automatically whenever the current plank is a child of a grid.

I have been hungry to make improvements to the thingbrowser lately, but I have been too busy this week to actually get much done.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Funny you should say that, because I just changed the Grid to a Layout slice.
Same thing though, except that Layouts might not be arranged left-to-right-top-to-bottom.
We could allow that sort of thing, including slices which have been placed manually without using a grid/layout, by doing something like:

Code: Select all

if Right key:
  select slice to right
  if no such slice:
     y += menu item height
     x = parent left edge
     search again

Wrapping the cursor could be an optional plankmenu/menu slice feature.

Related: making the home key return to Attack/Item/Thing 0 instead of jumping to the Back button. Page up/down are already special-cased like that, and it's annoying that they don't behave the same as home/end.

Also, I remember saying I was going to do some kind of improvement to the ThingBrowser, but I can't even remember what it was, so you can safely assume that you can do whatever it was.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

as a feature of mouse support. How about right-clicking to exit a screen? Such as the help (F1) screen?
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, that's glaringly unfinished.

Normally in GUI programs with popup or dropdown menus, left or right clicking away from the popup menu closes it.
However, that's usually not the case with modal windows which prompt the user for something, like a file picker. They will have Close buttons. Still, I think we should make clicking away close floating menus/prompts.

And in full-screen menus, found throughout Custom, it seems inappropriate to close them by clicking on empty space.

We couldn't really totally agree about what to do, but I think the plan is to give Custom something like a tab/menu bar area where we could put a close/back button to fix all menus at once.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

A breadcrumbs bar could also work.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Interesting idea!
Though I was thinking of making use of the extra space on the bar for tabs :)
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

I think it would be a great addition to make "pathfind NPC to (who, x, y, stuck ticks)" have extra variables that allows you to specify whether the pathfinding type is "direct" or "smart." It is automatically smart and the NPC will walk around anything in it's way but I think there are many uses for having a direct pathfind to a specific (x,y) coordinate.

Also it would be good if passing a value of -1 to picture number altered the NPC picture to it's default state when using "Alter NPC (who,NPCstat:picture,picture number)." Kind of in the same way that passing -1 to palette number alters the NPC to it's default palette.
Last edited by sheamkennedy on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Here's a small one that would go a long way:

Let us set the direction the player is facing after using a door.

Perhaps when setting doorlinks?
vvight.wordpress.com