OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Previewing animations as you draw. Would be nice. Requested plenty of times (including by you!)
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

sorry, I guess you are sick of me pestering you guys and repeating myself (and parroting others) I'll tone it down from now on
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Tone it down? But you've hardly posted in the last month! It's been quiet here! I'd rather know that people care rather than hear nothing, even if I don't have time at the moment.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I just started a new job a month ago, having been unemployed before that.
I am sure everyone is busy with grown-up stuff, like babies and jobs, or just enjoying the fine sunshine.

Hopefully we will be here for many years to come! Maybe our children will be tinkering with RPGs too :p
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Virtuous Sword wrote:Hopefully we will be here for many years to come! Maybe our children will be tinkering with RPGs too :p
Last weekend my 4-year old came up to me while I was working, said "Daddy! I want to play the slime game!"

I didn't understand what she was asking for until she clarified that it had a princess, and the slimes were red.

She wanted to play the A* pathfinding test-game I have been using.

I bundled it as and android apk, installed it on my ouya, and she played it for about 20 minutes :)
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Now you have to make it into a complete game, James. You are OBLIGATED.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It's already great as it is! There's something magical in the emergent behaviour of slimes clamouring over each other to reach you or dancing around a ring of stones. You can set your own goals, like hide and seek!

(I don't think James has released/linked to it? You would want to play it too, if you knew what you were missing out on)
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Whether this would be possible or not: What do people think of equipment that raises a stat by a percentage, in addition to raising it by set numbers? Would anyone but me want something like that? I don't want to make a request that no one else needs.

Thinking something like a special item that raises HP by 50%, regardless of what your HP is. I could script something like that easy enough, but its impact wouldn't show up on the default Equip menu.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

The Wobbler wrote:Whether this would be possible or not: What do people think of equipment that raises a stat by a percentage, in addition to raising it by set numbers? Would anyone but me want something like that? I don't want to make a request that no one else needs.
I'd use it! Seconding this request!
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I think anything that adds more possibilities for equipment builds is a good thing, and that would be a particularly cool feature.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well that's settled then.

I suppose first all fixed bonuses should be added, before all percentile ones.
And that this has nothing to do with the future buff system (although in future there could be an equipment bit to make it provide an automatic buff rather than permanent stat increases).

Luckily, heroes already have separate max stats and base stats (equal to the max stat without equipment bonuses added). So you could say that much of the work is already done.

However, there is a problem: if you modify a hero's max stat with setherostat, then the base stat changes by the same amount to remain consistent. But since stats are integers, not floating point numbers, there will be an inconsistency due to rounding error.
E.g.:
Base DEF = 10
Equipped armour with DEF +70%:
Max DEF = 10 * 170% = 17

Suppose you use an item which runs a script to give to +1 DEF:
set hero stat(who, stat:def, 18, max stat)
new Max DEF = 18
Base DEF = 18 / 170% = 10.588 rounded to 11
But next time the max stat is recomputed (e.g. you unequip the armour and reequip it):
Max DEF = 11 * 170% = 18.7 rounded to 19

So you just managed to cheat and gain a free +1 DEF.

Trying to make this consistent by internally storing base stats in floating point but dropping the fractional part when getherostat is called isn't going to work either, because then incrementing the base stat by script will cause fractional parts to be lost, so will still cause you to gain a free +1 DEF. Still, you're unlikely to use setherostat to set both base and max stats, so that's a harder edge case to hit, and would be a better solution.
I don't see a way to solve this that doesn't break the setherostat command in some way. It's probably impossible.

Also, using an OOB healing attack to increase stats works by translating any change to the stat back into a change to the current stat, and has the same problem.
But you know, OOB healing attacks to buff stats are broken in far worse ways than this anyway. It's something where we preserve ancient bugs to preserve back-compatibility.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

We could just add documentation to setherostat letting people know that modifying maxstat is incompatible with percentage equipment buffs, and that they should setherostat with basestat instead

I always imagined percentage buffs going first, with additive buffs being added at the end... But I don't think I thought it out well. Add first, then percent last does seem more like what people might expect... Right?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Bob the Hamster wrote:I always imagined percentage buffs going first, with additive buffs being added at the end... But I don't think I thought it out well. Add first, then percent last does seem more like what people might expect... Right?
Yeah, the latter is how I'd expect it to work as a player.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

So what people are mostly interested in is stuff like:

Belt of Strength - Increase STR stat 100% which would double your base strength and also double the bonus that you get from your weapon or the bonus you get from your +1 Boots of Kicking.

What people are probably not so much interested in is Suit Of Armor 10% which raises your base defense 10% higher than it would normally be at this level, but does not stack by multiplying the +4 def from your chainmail pantaloons or multiplying the +6 def from your holy shield.

Originally that suit of armor is all I had been thinking about anytime I thought of percentage bonuses-- but that type of bonus would only be a relatively small subtle difference from a suit of armor that just gives a +def. It would be armor that scales as you level-up, which doesn't make much sense.

(just talking this out to make sure I have it clear in my head, don't mind me!)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I don't know it it's a bug or requestable-feature or already implemented in the new release:
How about that passability is reloaded for the map after it was changed in the tile editor?
If you set the passability after making the map, you need to replace a tiles with a new version of the same tile to get the new passability.