OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Urgent, seriously

Post by Mammothstuds »

I've always wanted to make an SMT clone, but in order to make one without the slimiest 'dex ever, I'd need at least 150 possible party members. So far the cap is at 50. Any way you could make it higher, o lord and savior Bob?
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

Bob the Hamster wrote:We will eventually have mouse controls for walking around a map and using NPCs. I have a plan for it.
amusingly enough in the now-dead Jade windows game maker port this was the first thing I implemented. The way I did it was right mouse click moved Dogero towards the cursor, and objects/NPCs within a certain radius could be activated/talked to with the same right mouse click.

... it also no longer had tile based movement, so that also made things drastically easier. He just walked right towards the cursor. Requires a bit more work in a tile-based movement system. Definitely suggest the "activation radius" thing, maybe make it a developer-controllable variable like

next to: requires hero to be within a tile of the npc, the existing functionality in other words. Doesn't do weird things with older games.

nearby: NPCs can be activated within a nearby pixel radius of the hero, maybe done as a percentage of the screen instead of tiles/pixels to make it easy for the code to work in any resolution.

line of sight: any npc on the screen can be activated as long as there's no collision walls between the hero and the npc.

anywhere: any npc on the screen can be activated no matter what. people that want to make mouse-centric games would use this one.
Last edited by FyreWulff on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Not sure if it already exists, but how about being able to clear a text data field by pressing Ctrl+Del? (or something like that)

oops.. .ctrl+del already does something :p learn something new every day!
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I think "Text Box Appearance/Disappearance" effects would be cool!
ATM textboxes just appear?
Suggested options:

- slide from right/left (textbox enters the screen from a direction)
- unfurl (a side of the textbox appears, and it unfolds/unfurls)
- blink/fade/strobe
- digital (something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MH6JZdGZcI)

I'd also like to see more textbox types that don't fill the screen horizontally, or text that appears above an NPC
However, slices are probably better for that.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

- slice collection exported as a backdrop graphic, which in turn could be used in tileset
- display slice collection via textbox

EDIT:
Currently, we can make a slice dissolve over ticks.
I'd like to see select slices cycle children over ticks too!

EDIT:
shortcuts for quick align and flip for slices

EDIT:
In lieu of brush sizes for the draw tool, I'd like the ability to drag a cloned selection like a brush instead, possibly while holding another key.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Virtuous Sword wrote:I would like to see a "backdrop editor" (difficult) or the ability to export a slice collection from visible to graphic (easier).
One could then, in turn, use such graphics to create tilesets.
In effect, one could use slices to create backdrops and map tilesets!
You can do this by taking a screenshot of a slice collection and importing it as a tileset or backdrop. There is a hotkey (I think F8 or something) for making the HUD in the slice editor go away so you can take a screenshot of just the slices.

EDIT: What external graphical editor do you use? If you need one, I'd recommend using GIMP to create/edit backdrops. It's pretty easy to create sprites that import properly in GIMP, given you do it right. If you need a description of what exactly to do to make GIMP export working bitmaps, it's been documented somewhere, I think on the wiki. Alternatively, you could ask here.
Last edited by kylekrack on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

how about being able to edit a text slice from the slice tree by highlighting it and pressing a key combination (something+spacebar?)?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Re: Urgent, seriously

Post by Gizmog »

Mammothstuds wrote:I've always wanted to make an SMT clone, but in order to make one without the slimiest 'dex ever, I'd need at least 150 possible party members. So far the cap is at 50. Any way you could make it higher, o lord and savior Bob?
With this plotscripting command and the GetHeroStat ones, you could pretty reasonably fake that already. The end result would probably feel a lot like the Bill's PC system from Red/Blue.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I haven't run into the limit before but I might on Kaiju: Do shops still have a 50 item limit?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Unless things have changed since the 20160404 version, a quick check in the editor suggests that a 50 item limit is still the case and the wiki says that it's a file format limitation.
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

Gizmog wrote:
Mammothstuds wrote:I've always wanted to make an SMT clone, but in order to make one without the slimiest 'dex ever, I'd need at least 150 possible party members. So far the cap is at 50. Any way you could make it higher, o lord and savior Bob?
With this plotscripting command and the GetHeroStat ones, you could pretty reasonably fake that already. The end result would probably feel a lot like the Bill's PC system from Red/Blue.
That's a godsend, thanks. I've never really done any plotscripting in my games before, though...is there a way you could PM me and run me through how to do that to the intended effect?
Wendigo
Red Slime

Post by Wendigo »

By searching for Freebasic + Emscripten I found this Mail in the Mailinglist:
https://www.mail-archive.com/ohrrpgce@l ... 14585.html

Having Ohr games running in the browser sounds really cool.
What exactly would have to be done with the mentioned "wait-loops"?
How difficult would it be to convert these?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Mammothstuds wrote:
Gizmog wrote:
That's a godsend, thanks. I've never really done any plotscripting in my games before, though...is there a way you could PM me and run me through how to do that to the intended effect?
I'll try to post something about it in the next few days. PM me and remind me if I don't. It's going to boil down to whether or not you're more comfortable with using slices or global variables.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I haven't been keep on top of this...
The Wobbler wrote:One more request up in here! Would it be reasonable to add animations for spawned enemies, instead of them just popping in? Basically the existing death animations, played in reverse.
This has been requested before, and is a great idea.

However, I don't know how the existing enemy death (and spawn) animations are going to interact with the new animation system. The problem is that the death dissolves are in the enemy data, while under the new system, the death animation will be part of the spriteset. What happens if both are defined? I guess the enemy setting should override, unless it's set to default.

But Spawn 'undissolve' animations would have exactly the same problem as the death animations already have, so I guess there's no real reason not to add them.
Wendigo wrote:It is currently quite hard to create different versions of map tiles by copy/pasting parts of a tile using the mark tool since it only allows to do rectangular selections.
So my proposal is to add a polygon based selection mode to the mark tool so that one can also copy non square parts to a new tile.
I agree, that would be great. Every time I use the mark tool I get frustrated that it's restricted to rectangles.
Mammothstuds wrote:I'd need at least 150 possible party members. So far the cap is at 50. Any way you could make it higher, o lord and savior Bob?
This has been requested several times recently!
The actual limits are: "You can have 41 heroes in your party at once, including both active and reserve heroes. You can have 60 heroes defined in your whole game. "
These are two separate things. Raising the limit on heroes in your party is probably easier (just need to find every bit of code that makes that assumption... and then test). Raising the definition limit actually requires changing the item file format. We like to make things hard on ourselves, so decided to totally replace the item file format for various reasons.
But really, we could just make a small easy extension to the existing file format as a temporary fix.
Fyre­Wulff wrote:nearby: NPCs can be activated within a nearby pixel radius of the hero, maybe done as a percentage of the screen instead of tiles/pixels to make it easy for the code to work in any resolution.

line of sight: any npc on the screen can be activated as long as there's no collision walls between the hero and the npc.
That's an interesting idea; never occurred to me. It would mean that the game potentially could only be played with the mouse, or at least plays a a bit differently with it. That's not a reason not to implement it, though.
(Regardless of activation radius, I imagine clicking an NPC would walk up to it.)
Virtuous Sword wrote:Not sure if it already exists, but how about being able to clear a text data field by pressing Ctrl+Del? (or something like that)

oops.. .ctrl+del already does something :p learn something new every day!
You mean ctrl+backspace.
Actually, this is a good idea, I wish there was a way to delete a text field.

Well, I decided instead to add ctrl+backspace to delete the previous word (or option-delete on Mac), since that's the shortcut everyone would already know, and it makes it fast to delete lots of text.
Unfortunately, as you said, ctrl-backspace is already taken, to delete all records after the current. I think we should change it to something else so that we can use the standard ctrl-backspace.

I just added ctrl-backspace to delete a word to the textbox, help page, and multiline editors, because it wasn't already used there.
Virtuous Sword wrote:I think "Text Box Appearance/Disappearance" effects would be cool!
Something I think we really need. Makes sense to do it at the same time as the textbox overhaul.
Virtuous Sword wrote:shortcuts for quick align and flip for slices.
how about being able to edit a text slice from the slice tree by highlighting it and pressing a key combination (something+spacebar?)?
Yes, I'd love to allow resizing and placing a slice directly with the mouse (dragging on the slice or its edge), without going into the "slice detail editor". Text could be edited that way too, and probably alignment.
The Wobbler wrote:I haven't run into the limit before but I might on Kaiju: Do shops still have a 50 item limit?
Yes. I don't think it's a huge problem to raise it... which interestingly would be half the work required to allow sharing stock between multiple shops. (The lack of which is probably the reason why you need more than 50 items in the first place)
Wendigo wrote:By searching for Freebasic + Emscripten I found this Mail in the Mailinglist:
https://www.mail-archive.com/ohrrpgce@l ... 14585.html

Having Ohr games running in the browser sounds really cool.
What exactly would have to be done with the mentioned "wait-loops"?
How difficult would it be to convert these?
You can't use loops containing waits in JS. Splitting them up would mean using emscripten_set_main_loop() or similar. There are around 30 such setwait-dowait loops in Game (e.g. one for every builtin menu), and far more in Custom. Some (such as for error messages and debug menus) could probably be removed when compiling with emscripten, as a simple fix.

Honestly, this sounds like heaps of work: each of those functions that would be split up would need to be turned into classes, with state, init, each-frame and destructor code.

Luckily, there's a vastly easier solution! Just use the Emterpreter instead! This compiles parts of the program to bytecode instead of JS and interprets it, side-stepping the problem. Only functions which call dowait, or call some other function that calls dowait, needs to be handled this way.

I would guess it would be pretty straightforward to get a quick and dirty prototype running without much work. From experience with the Android port, probably that will only be a tiny part of the total work of a proper JS port.
Last edited by TMC on Wed May 03, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Lots of good answers, thanks! I'm getting around the 50 shop item limit for now with a custom shop I set up with menus and strings, it was more work but it turned out pretty well.