OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Re: OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Post by RMZ »

TMC wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:26 pm
Hedera wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:43 am would it be possible for things that require certain tags to be on/off, to have an arbitrary number of conditionals
That's exactly why I suggested chained tags, which I was discussing with Lenny up-thread. Changing all the file-formats and editors to allow more tag conditions would be arduous, but if we had chained tags then it wouldn't be needed.
RMZ wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:31 pmTMC/James, can you please make the steam_api.dll and steam_api.lib files part of the future downloads or list them on Hamster Republic for people like me who might forget them?
steam_api.lib shouldn't be included.
I think RMZ's problems have been solved after further discussion. The real problem is that there's no proper documentation for how to package a game for Steam. I'd also like to add Steam options to the Distribute Game menu which include the steam_api library to simplify it. But I don't actually know myself exactly what's needed, I've never released a game on Steam.
DWRL wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:08 pm A blendmode wich does not dither, but just uses the next similiar color from the master palette. This would make animated blending or day/night/weather effects look less jarring.
Are you aware that in the slice editor Settings menu there's a "Blend Algorithm" setting which you can set to "No dither" (or to "Less dither")? Seems to be what you're asking for. But it's a global setting affecting all slices; do you need to override it for a particular slice? Alternatively, setting your game to 32-bit colour mode also disables dithering and makes transparency look much better.
Feenicks wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:01 am I'm thinking about attack animations again, in particular the lack of an attack animation that hits each target in sequence, similar to the existing sequential projectile but without the projectile part. How much of an issue would that be to implement?
Good idea, because it's so easy to add. A matter of simply copy-pasting Sequential Projectile and deleting the projectile bits. I bet someone will implement it this weekend ; )
All new players will get the achievements but as I mentioned on Discord they don't get them if they've already triggered the response to get the achievement. You had offered some suggestions but it's still very unclear how to resolve the issue. Hopefully something gets sorted because I distinctly remember when Axe Cop went out I got a flurry of achievements as the game caught up with the triggers. I hope when you work on the distribution stuff this can be handled as I'm sure other people with OHR games on Steam who might want to use achievements would have the same issues I am facing right now.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

TMC wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:26 pm Good idea, because it's so easy to add. A matter of simply copy-pasting Sequential Projectile and deleting the projectile bits. I bet someone will implement it this weekend ; )
Sounds good. Gonna come back in here with a cool gif when that happens.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

RMZ wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:31 pm Hopefully something gets sorted because I distinctly remember when Axe Cop went out I got a flurry of achievements as the game caught up with the triggers. I hope when you work on the distribution stuff this can be handled as I'm sure other people with OHR games on Steam who might want to use achievements would have the same issues I am facing right now.
in a pinch, allow the achievements to be activated with debug commands.
a lot of games nowadays allow this, or allow the use of mods(!) in achievements.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
DWRL
Red Slime

Post by DWRL »

TMC wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:26 pm
RMZ wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:08 pm A blendmode wich does not dither, but just uses the next similiar color from the master palette. This would make animated blending or day/night/weather effects look less jarring.
Are you aware that in the slice editor Settings menu there's a "Blend Algorithm" setting which you can set to "No dither" (or to "Less dither")? Seems to be what you're asking for. But it's a global setting affecting all slices; do you need to override it for a particular slice? Alternatively, setting your game to 32-bit colour mode also disables dithering and makes transparency look much better.
Haven't seen this, but oh my gosh does it now look beautiful 😍
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Just want to publicly thank TMC, he does a lot for us as we all know, he got achievements working so that old achievements now load on Steam if they haven't been registered before. Dude is a champion.
Abelhawk
Slime

Post by Abelhawk »

I have one single feature request that I think would make the OHRRPGCE complete: buffs. If there was a simple graphic of a looping animation to show things like poison damage, mute, stun, or even attribute decreases and any type of status condition, I think the game engine would be perfect. Since it's impossible to see that on enemies, it's discouraging to make abilities that do that. You need visual cues to appreciate stuff like that. Is there any chance this could be implemented?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yes, I have a plan for that. In the first iteration it would just be a floating icon over the hero or enemy, but it could be extended to animations also.

That and optional enemy hp bars.

I hope to work on both of those after the next stable release
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

is there anyway we can get support for importing/playback for .VGM music files? It's just a thought, as it could make my .rpg files considerably smaller.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I see .vgm files are supported by SDL Mixer X (via the game-music-emu library). I've been considering for years whether to switch from SDL_mixer to SDL Mixer X. It adds lots of features and libraries and I think is pretty large, so I would want to disable parts of it.
So maybe someday but don't wait around.
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

TMC wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:15 pm I see .vgm files are supported by SDL Mixer X (via the game-music-emu library). I've been considering for years whether to switch from SDL_mixer to SDL Mixer X. It adds lots of features and libraries and I think is pretty large, so I would want to disable parts of it.
So maybe someday but don't wait around.
for sure. what's a few megs in this day and age? ohr games are already super small compared to anything from unity.
Abelhawk
Slime

Post by Abelhawk »

Bob the Hamster wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:32 am Yes, I have a plan for that. In the first iteration it would just be a floating icon over the hero or enemy, but it could be extended to animations also.

That and optional enemy hp bars.

I hope to work on both of those after the next stable release
Thank you! Another option for a simple indicator of status could be changing the enemy/hero's palette (green skin for poisoned, black and white for turned to stone, etc.). Just anything at all to make it a little clearer than an icon what's going on, especially for enemies.
Abelhawk
Slime

Post by Abelhawk »

I'd like to use a shop like a crafting table, where recipes are available to "sell" with combinations of ingredients. Would it be difficult to make the "sell item sound effect" unique to each shop instead of global, so that I could have a crafting sound effect for those stations and a "ka-ching" / coins jingling effect when you actually buy things?
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

really good ideas Abelhawk, +1
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Abelhawk
Slime

Post by Abelhawk »

Instead of having basically a dropdown menu of target options like Foe, Foe (not dead), etc., what if it was changed to a bitset that allowed you to select all the targetable units you wanted? It could even include enemy types in the list, so that certain attacks could target either allies OR undead (to heal or harm undead), or a spread that only affects certain enemy types and stuff.
Abelhawk
Slime

Post by Abelhawk »

Why does the "Drop" attack animation end so quickly? It falls so quickly I can't even see the attack animation, but all the other animations linger for half a second so you can see it hit the enemy and flinch. Can just a little bit of time be added between the time the animation falls and when it disappears?

Also, I really like when enemies have Extra Hits and attack ferociously a few times, but when heroes do it, they seem to wait about half a second between attacks, which really ruins the action of the moment. I'm guessing it's because the game is waiting for them to do their Attack A and Attack B animations, whereas enemies don't have that. Can that be sped up, or customized to be different? I'd love to be able to have two Driveby animations fly in short succession instead of one flying by, waiting a heartbeat, and then another one comes.