OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I love being able to duplicate heroes/enemies when making a new one, it saves a lot of time! Could this also be added to the Items menu?
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I remember asking about that on Discord and apparently it was added in a way. You need to enter the item editing menu, hover the cursor in a specific place, hit ALT+C instead of CTRL+C to copy the whole item definition instead of just a single line of text, create a new blank item, then hit ALT+V.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Rad, that works, thanks!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Copy-pasting items is new in nightlies; I added that instead of 'add as copy of existing' since it's more general.
However you're not the first person to look the "Alt-C to copy item definition" message at the bottom.
This inconsistency is maddening! Why did I use Alt? Oh, so that you could copy paste regardless of which menu item is selected... but that's not useful yet, since you can't switch between items anyway!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Another request: When you're in a shop that requires players to trade money and an item for another item, it only shows how much money you currently have. Could it display how many of the required trade items you currently have on hand?

Related to shops: One thing I really need for the upgrade system I'm working on is multiple "Buy Require Tag" options in a shop, just having one makes it difficult. Two would be a big help!
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Displaying trade-in stuff in inventory is definitely a good idea. And simple. Putting it on the shop todo list...

As a general solution to not having enough tag conditions Iwas working on autoset tags which are autoset based on multiple other tags or global variables, e.g require that all, or any, of four other tags are set. I didn't quite finish that, but hope to finish it soonish after Fufluns.
Despite that, I could just add a second tag condition to the shop editor anyway...
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks, that all sounds good! A second tag in shops would be a nice short term solution but those autoset tags sound super useful too!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Can we get an attack bitset "Not usable in battle" to go along with "Useable outside of battle"? This could be used for things like the obvious "healing spell that's only for patching up between fights" but also for things like skills that are learned and chained to from other attacks but can't be selected directly. If we ever get the ability to directly trigger textboxes or scripts from using a specific spell outside of battle this would also be good for Warp/Exit type spells or other utility skills.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Good idea. Adding.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I added "Useable in battle from spell lists" attack bit. Some progress on other requests, though I'm meant to be working on release blockers...

Regarding showing trade-in items in your possession in shops, where on the screen should that be shown? Under the amount of gold you have, at the top of the screen, seems like a strange place. Maybe "100 $, 4 Wood (have 5)" ?
Having to make these cosmetic decisions causes me to put off a lot of features...
Last edited by TMC on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote: Maybe "100 $, 4 Wood (have 5)" ?
Having to make these cosmetic decisions causes me to put off a lot of features...
I think this would be perfect!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, done (but you have to wait for tomorrow's nightlies).

As a bonus, since I thought "100 $" looked ugly I replaced the money global text string with a more flexible option ("# gold" instead of "gold"), so now it can display as "$100". In fact I special-cased games that had named the currency "$" to upgrade to "$#" instead of "# $". Now why didn't we have that before?
Last edited by TMC on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Why not provide layout options?

For example:

Requirement A: 100$, 4 wood (have 5)
Requirement B: 4 wood (have 5), 100$
Requirement C: 100 gold, 4 wood (have 5)
Requirement D: 4 wood (have 5), 100 gold

or more generic but far more flexible:

Money Display Type 1: money + "gold"
Money Display Type 2: symbol + money
Money Display Type 3: money + symbol
---
Layout 1: one item
Layout 2: two items (money, object)
Layout 3: two items (object, money)
Layout 4: two items (object 1, object 2)
Layout 5: three items (money, object 1, object 2)
Layout 6: three items (object 1, object 2, money)
Layout 7: three items (object 1, object 2, object 3)
---
Requirement A: money
Requirement B: item (+count)
Requirement C: hero
Requirement D: money, item (+count)
Requirement E: money, hero
Requirement F: item (+count), item (+count)
Requirement G: item (+count), hero
Requirement H: hero, hero
Requirement I: money, item (+count), item (+count)
Requirement J: money, item (+count), hero
Requirement K: money, hero, hero
Requirement L: item (+count), item (+count), item (+count)
Requirement M: item (+count), item (+count), hero
Requirement N: item (+count), hero, hero
Requirement O: hero, hero, hero

Note: Items include equipment.

There could also be more nuanced versions that include equipped items, equipped heroes, unequipped heroes, specific heroes, and generic heroes, but that's negligible.

If we ever allowed double currency types (for example, dollars and cents), then we could modify the system to include those.

For heroes, they might need "specific" and "generic" tags to fine-tune requirements.

At any rate, this could give the designer more flexibility about how items are displayed and what they display and what they require for purchase.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

That's an odd use of the word "requirement".
You suggested an option between "100$, 4 wood (have 5)" and "100 gold, 4 wood (have 5)" but those two aren't different. One has "#$" as the money string, the other is "# gold".
What is not customisable is:
-Items are displayed as "Itemname" for a single item, and "ItemnameX42" for multiple
-Gold before trade-in items
-List of items is concatenated with commas.
Now maybe I could add a string for displaying multiple items, which would default to "$NX#", if someone really wanted it (I'm not sure whether it would be used in the Inventory screen too), but for the other things I can't imagine why you would care.

Tag requirements for purchasing an item should be described in the in-shop description of the item (once that's implemented) since the tag could be set in many different ways.

Trading in heroes is an amusing idea... you could achieve it with tag conditions.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I was mainly responding to this:
Regarding showing trade-in items in your possession in shops, where on the screen should that be shown? Under the amount of gold you have, at the top of the screen, seems like a strange place. Maybe "100 $, 4 Wood (have 5)" ?
Basically, if cosmetic decisions hinder something getting done, then it might be worth making it customizable so the designer can make that decision for himself. The real consideration then would be to decide on a default layout, which would be negligible if the designer can ultimately change it to whatever he or she wants.

"Requirement" is just a shortcut for "what's required to purchase item."

The various layout options would make shop design a simple matter of selecting three essential variables. The order of how things are listed are simply there for designer preference: why remove or limit options?

"Gold" is just a shortcut for anyone who doesn't want to use a symbol. The other option determines where to place the symbol if one is used (before or after the value). Again, having a "gold" shortcut is probably ultimately unnecessary, but having the option of deciding where to put the money type or symbol (before or after the value) is not unnecessary.

Having tag requirements listed in shops is an interesting idea. It sounds like shops can become quest hubs at some point. That would be very cool. I'm not sure if that's what you're actually implying, but the idea of having an unset tag display a custom message that explains a quest requirement to the player and a set tag unlock the item (with some kind of thank you message attached) is very interesting indeed. That may not be what you're saying, but it should be!
Place Obligatory Signature Here