OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Hello I'm drifting out of a hole in the ground to say that people on Steam still ask about Steam Achievement integration, dudes definitely want this feature even if it wouldn't apply to most OHR games. Further thoughts my good bros?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Don't they just want it for cheap Steam Levels? Bigger TF2 backpacks and whatnot? It'd be a cool feature, but I worry people are just tryin to use it for a free lunch (Not that that hasn't sold thousands of copies of other games and made some serious money in the doin)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sorry, overlooked this thread, was in Mexico, etc...

Although my usual response is "working on animations would be a better use of time", I have to admit that quite a lot of these suggestions would be a far better use of time than most of the stuff I've been working on over the last few weeks!
I just don't know how to prioritize the thousand different things I could work on
guo wrote:"On spawn" animation for spawning enemies! Perhaps the opposite of the death animations? How cool would it look for new enemies to stretch upwards from the ground.
This is a great idea!
guo wrote:Also, and this is more of a question, but in turn based battle mode if I set captions to display for a specific length of time will that delay the next attack?
I can't ever remember these things...
Fnrrf­Ygm­Schnish wrote:I'll take this opportunity to repeat this one that I've been asking about the possibility of for years now -- expanding the number of heroes in reserve and the number of hero definitions a game can have!
A few people have requested this recently; so I think it's worth doing. Maybe it's not hard, but it's not trivial either. Easy to introduce bugs and waste a lot of time. Need to search through the code to find what needs to be changed.
Nathan ­Karr wrote:I forgot to mention another request I had. A separate string for when a miss is caused by enemy Dog % in Aim % vs Dog % accuracy type, so people can get a better feel for why an attack didn't connect - and maybe one for Wil % causing the failure on the magic equivalent. In all old games these strings would still just be named Miss, but in new ones perhaps Dodge and Resist respectively?

It's probably a lot bigger than it sounds.
I like this idea. Even for the old Aim Math settings like Aim*2~Dog, while it's not really possible to ascribe a miss to either the attacker or the defender, it could be faked, by calling it a miss if the 2*Aim rolled low, and a dodge if the Dog rolled high... I think? It would still give you some useful information by comparing rates of each message on different enemies.
Should be easy.

marionline wrote:Also, naming things (NPC, walkabouts, Pallets, Enemy images etc.) like naming tile sets would be cool.
Making groups (maybe for textboxes) instead of using tags could be helpful as well.
Yes, I will be adding spriteset names as I work on the new file format. Names are definitely very useful.
Tagging/grouping things would be a second way to organise data, and is also a great idea. We can't use the name "tags" though, that too confusing. Let's call them labels. We've discussed grouping tags (not labels) in particular so that you can keep related ones together. And people frequently request the ability to change ID numbers of items, enemies, etc, so that they can group them together. Labels are strictly more powerful than groups, but may also be more annoying to use, so maybe we should just go with groups.
So I could add spriteset labels or groups too.
marionline wrote:Example: Set up a template (for example a trader NPC) and copy it to maps.
So you just need to set up the data up once.
By coincidence James and I discussed something today that would allow this. It would be nice.
marionline wrote:Idea: Import and Export of NPCs, Heros, Attacks, Items and Enemy Data. (Just like we can do with text boxes.)
For easy copy and past and bulk replace usage for lazy gamedevs.
I already wrote a tool for that! It only works for items, attacks, enemies and textboxes. It used to work for heroes, but the file format changed. The output/input is a spreadsheet in .csv format, and it's not so nice to use.
http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/tabulate.py
Taco bot wrote:Isn't this the way the old, old versions managed npcs? With global definitions instead of per-map
There was a separate NPC editor outside of the map editor, but IIRC it still had different lists of NPCs for each map.
marionline wrote:In Attack Cost Menu: Could we choose items from a table instead of scrolling through numbers?
There are lots of places in the engine where this ability should be added. And even more important, let you go straight to the item editor.
Such a menu would be very basic, so it's not much work.
The Wobbler wrote:Hello I'm drifting out of a hole in the ground to say that people on Steam still ask about Steam Achievement integration, dudes definitely want this feature even if it wouldn't apply to most OHR games. Further thoughts my good bros?
I haven't had further thoughts, and had to look up what my thoughts were, because I forgot (for benefit of other people):
In an email I wrote:James and I talked a bit about how it might be done. I don't think it's hard at all (aside from the question of being able to test it), just a matter of time, maybe not very much. So I don't know if it's a good priority, especially if you don't think so, compared to working on an animation system and better battle customisability, which I hope get done in time to be used in Fighto Fantasy
"Not hard" translates to "I know how to", but by now I've forgotten how much work it appeared to be. I think there were some annoying requirements about not publicly releasing the steam header file. Is it really a significant selling point? You care more about framerate, right?
Last edited by TMC on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

People choose not to play games that don't have achievements which I think is crazy, but that's modern gamers. I certainly think the frame rate stuff is more important personally, but it's the request I've gotten more than any other.

I just finished adding Steam Trading Cards to C. Kane, update is in review now. That was pretty easy and required nothing in the game itself, it's all external images/text. Hopefully that should appeal to some people, I don't get it at all!
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I know that the Amazon Appstore also uses achievements. Personally, I love em. It kind of inspires me to look in every nook and cranny in a game. I'm not sure if the data exported to the achievement systems in Amazon or Steam are both the same though but if it's something we can do, it would be a nice additional detail.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, interesting. If there are multiple platforms with achievements it makes sense to combine them so that they appear the same to the game/scripts. Might not be entirely possible, e.g. steam sends you a description of the achievement and an icon... which we could just ignore.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I just got asked in a Steam discussion for MTA about controller support. Is this something else you could work on? It doesn't seem cool to force people to have to download Joy2Key everytime if I wanted to go that route.

We have Android controller support for buttons and such on their system controllers. Can you use some of that for PC gamepads?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

This is something I want to improve, yes.

I also definitely like the idea of making gamepads use the same button mapping configuration that is already present for Android/OUYA gamepads

(although even our Android gamepad support is incomplete. it works for most, but some D-Pads don't work, and I haven't figured out why yet)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I don't know much about joysticks, since I haven't used one in about 14 years, but is there any reason to require going through the Ctrl+J screen before accepting joystick input?

Regarding Android gamepad support, what are you referring to? Connected a gamepad to a smartphone? Or do the consoles like Ouya support non-official gamepads?
Last edited by TMC on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The Ctrl+J thing is an artefact of the DOS days

Accepting joystick input by default means sometimes we get complaints from people who don't remember that their gamepad is still plugged in, under the desk, with the d-pad mashed left-- but that is not a reason not to do it.

As for Android gamepad support, yes, to both those things
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Bob the Hamster wrote:The Ctrl+J thing is an artefact of the DOS days

Accepting joystick input by default means sometimes we get complaints from people who don't remember that their gamepad is still plugged in, under the desk, with the d-pad mashed left-- but that is not a reason not to do it.

As for Android gamepad support, yes, to both those things
Accepting joystick input by default would be pretty great, I think. The slobs stepping on their controllers can just deal with it.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Could maybe put in a Ctrl+something command to toggle gamepad disabled, just in case someone needs it to be, but make it enabled by default.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Yeah, we will definitely want an option to disable gamepads for people who don't want them even after they are enabled by default

I might end up re-purposing CTRL+J for a Gamepad/Joystick configuration screen as opposed to a pointless calibration screen.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

All of this is awesome.

Personally, I know I hate playing with the keyboard. It makes me feel like I'm still at work. Gamepad by default all the way.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

What's wrong with creating a toggle option in the main menu for controls, similar to how pretty much every other modern computer game does it?
Place Obligatory Signature Here