OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Idontknow wrote:I have a few related to the battle system.
  • - Make it so items can be equipped to more than one slot, like an item could be specified to be equipped to the second, third and fourth slot instead of just one, or possible dual wielding shenanigans by allowing more than one weapon to be equipped.

- A confusion status

- Ability to create attacks that give temporary elemental resistances/weakness
Also, I agree with Guo's suggestion of letting us choose accuracy/dodge stats. There are probably more I would request, but usually those come up when I'm working on a game and think "wouldn't it be cool if I could do THAT".
Seconding all of this. Also in-engine backdrop editor.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Attack animations functionally exactly like jump/land but for digging! Eg: submerge and emerge.
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

In a similar way, a Vanish/Reappear attack animation causing the character to dissolve using one of the death animations (Shrink, Crossfade, etc.), ended with the Teleport animation type.

DashSpin and DashCast. Dashin doing something other than a strike once in touch range.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Good ideas. Maybe the attacker movement pattern and the attacker's actual attack animation should be seperate options? Attacker animations are split into "advance", "attack" and "retreat" parts, and the existing attacker animations already mix and match these different parts heavily. For example, Spin and Cast are the same as Strike, but with a different "attack" parts, and each of Cast and StandingCast and Strike and StandingStrike have the same "attack" parts as each other, but different "advance"/"retreat" parts.

So what I'm imagining is that something like "Standing Cast" gets split up into "Attacker movement: Null" and "Attacker animation: Cast".
"Attacker movement" would be the advance/retreat part, plus any movement that happens during 'attack' (Jump and Land),
while "Attacker animation" would be just the sprite animation that happens during the attack.

The attacker and attack animations are currently defined with something very similar to plotscripts, and I want to replace them with regular plot/battlescripts that you can edit. (A dedicated editor for these seems too much work and too inflexible)
For example, the Cast animation:

Code: Select all

Advance part:
   # Walk forward 20 pixels
   anim_walktoggle who   # Start walk animation
   anim_setmove who, -5, 0, 4, 0  # Move 5 pixels/tick in X direction for 4 ticks
   anim_waitforall
Attack part:
   anim_setframe who, frameSTAND
   anim_wait 3
   anim_setframe who, frameCAST
   anim_wait 3
Retreat part:
   # Walk back 20 pixels
   anim_walktoggle who
   anim_setmove who, 5, 0, 4, 0
   anim_waitforall
   anim_setframe who, frameSTAND
And this brings me around to talking about adding spriteset animations, something I still want to start on soon.
I'd like to make animations like "idle", "walk", "dash", "spin", "strike" and "cast" things that you define in the hero spritesets editor instead of being built into the attacker animations. These would all default to the existing built-in ones. It seems like we need both global default animations (like all of those), and custom per-spriteset animations.

But the big thing that I'm really uncertain about with regard to adding an animation editor is: what about animations where you want a sprite to animate while it's moving? For example an enemy with an axe jumping up 40 pixels in the air and crashing down on its target. You could just use really large frames so that you can draw this movement, but you might prefer to just actually move the attacker's position instead. Having to coordinate between different parts of the overall animation defined in different places doesn't seem ideal. Maybe the animation editor could let you make the sprite move about.
A similar problem is multiple animating sprites interacting, like batting a baseball, firing projectiles, or overlaying hero and weapon graphics. It would be nice to be able to align those in the animation editor directly (including at which frame the projectile should appear, for example).
In a similar way, a Vanish/Reappear attack animation causing the character to dissolve using one of the death animations (Shrink, Crossfade, etc.), ended with the Teleport animation type.
If the hero has Vanished, should they reappear in their normal position after a Teleport attack? Maybe you want them to Vanish, teleport next to target A and attack, teleport next to target B and attack, and then chain to a Reappear 'attack'.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Would the submerge/emerge effect be easy enough to fake with transmogrification?

Like this:

*Creature hits itself with "dig" attack, transmogrifying it to an invisible enemy (either untargetable or with ridiculous high evasion/defence)
*Invisible enemy only knows the emerge attack - an animation that plays on it's target, then transmogs enemy back to it's base form
*Alternately, it transmogs back to it's base form first, then attacks using "teleport" caster animation

Something like that?
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

guo wrote:Would the submerge/emerge effect be easy enough to fake with transmogrification?

Like this:

*Creature hits itself with "dig" attack, transmogrifying it to an invisible enemy (either untargetable or with ridiculous high evasion/defence)
*Invisible enemy only knows the emerge attack - an animation that plays on it's target, then transmogs enemy back to it's base form
*Alternately, it transmogs back to it's base form first, then attacks using "teleport" caster animation

Something like that?
Not for heroes using DIG instead of FLY
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I think my idea would work to fake a DIG effect. I'll try it out tomorrow and post results.
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

guo wrote:I think my idea would work to fake a DIG effect. I'll try it out tomorrow and post results.
Transmogrify doesn't work on heroes, only on monsters. We can do shrink attacks on monsters too in the same way.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Ah yep, sorry should have clarified - I just want the dig effect for monster attacks.
vvight.wordpress.com
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

"On spawn" animation for spawning enemies! Perhaps the opposite of the death animations? How cool would it look for new enemies to stretch upwards from the ground.

Also, and this is more of a question, but in turn based battle mode if I set captions to display for a specific length of time will that delay the next attack?
vvight.wordpress.com
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Since I've been poking around with Puckamon again lately in preparation for a possible upcoming update (probably once I get to the point where there's 6 gyms), I'll take this opportunity to repeat this one that I've been asking about the possibility of for years now -- expanding the number of heroes in reserve and the number of hero definitions a game can have!

I seem to remember being told at one point that it was possible, and not even super difficult, to expand both of those. And the main reason it hadn't been done sooner is that nobody'd really ever hit the limits. Well... Puckamon is at the limit for hero definitions already (there's actually a couple more that I might want to add in if possible) and it's definitely possible to hit the reserve party member limit in the game, especially if someone for some reason decides they want to catch both the unevolved and evolved forms of every monster or something along those lines. XD
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

And the reserve limit has also been demonstrated to be breached in Spooks & Summons.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention another request I had. A separate string for when a miss is caused by enemy Dog % in Aim % vs Dog % accuracy type, so people can get a better feel for why an attack didn't connect - and maybe one for Wil % causing the failure on the magic equivalent. In all old games these strings would still just be named Miss, but in new ones perhaps Dodge and Resist respectively?

It's probably a lot bigger than it sounds.
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I would like features that make it easier to make games/improve the OHR's usabiliy:

A) Problem:
During making a game one accumulates a lot of data (all graphics, color palettes, texts in text boxes) in the OHR.
It is hard to keep an overview, if you make a large game.

Idea: Add a way to sort and find data. Would it be possible to tag images in the OHR editor?
Also, naming things (NPC, walkabouts, Pallets, Enemy images etc.) like naming tile sets would be cool.
Making groups (maybe for textboxes) instead of using tags could be helpful as well.

B) Problem: Manage Reoccurring NPCs
Idea: NPC templates
Example: Set up a template (for example a trader NPC) and copy it to maps.
So you just need to set up the data up once.

C) Problem: Only text boxes can be exported to txt-files.
Idea: Import and Export of NPCs, Heros, Attacks, Items and Enemy Data. (Just like we can do with text boxes.)
For easy copy and past and bulk replace usage for lazy gamedevs. :D
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

Idea: Add a way to sort and find data. Would it be possible to tag images in the OHR editor?
Also, naming things (NPC, walkabouts, Pallets, Enemy images etc.) like naming tile sets would be cool.
Making groups (maybe for textboxes) instead of using tags could be helpful as well.
I agree, especially for text boxes. After your game has 500+ textboxes it gets a little messy to manage. No clue what would be a good way to manage them though.
Idea: NPC templates
Example: Set up a template (for example a trader NPC) and copy it to maps.
So you just need to set up the data up once.
Isn't this the way the old, old versions managed npcs? With global definitions instead of per-map
There's a lot of situations where that'd be helpful, and it'd be cool to see it brought back.
Idea: Import and Export of NPCs, Heros, Attacks, Items and Enemy Data. (Just like we can do with text boxes.)
Also in favour of this. Bonus if they're in a easy-to-parse text format so I can do quick find-and-replace operations.
Sent from my iPhone
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

I came up with two more ideas, while creating attacks.

1) In Attack Cost Menu: Could we choose items from a table instead of scrolling throug numbers?
It works in the attack menu:

By pressing enter here, a list with items should show up, so one can pic an item.

2) And also, what about bulk editing attacks?
For example set the attacks 10, 24, 55, 65 to be elemental thunder attacks.

Unfortunately I've no idea how hard it would be to implement these things.
Last edited by marionline on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.