Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Re: OHRRPGCE feature requests/suggestions

Post by Bob the Hamster »

So there are two different things here

* Different tile sizes other than 20x20
* Half sized tilesets to facilitate automapping

Those are separate feature requests, and probably the implementation would be quite different for each (although I'm sure there is some overlap too)

I think both are possible, even if difficult, but it is important to think about them each separate first rather than bundling them together like they are the same request
lennyhome
Slime Knight

Post by lennyhome »

Somebody in this world understands me.

I went a little bit ahead and I've started developing an automapping pattern to be used with scripting:
It's meant to be used as an alpha mask in Gimp to cross-fade between patterns.

I've written a little converter for the RpgMaker format. Here's an example:
It works but some script-assisted assembly is required.

Because the shape has all connected tiles, even the re-sizing if done properly produces minor artifacts:

That's pretty much what I was looking for. The only limitation is that only two patterns fit in a tile set. With the half-tile feature maybe 10 or more would fit.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh! I badly misread Lenny's first post.
Looks like your template doesn't include all 48 variations yet? But the script does use all the tiles to draw? Such a script is especially useful for map generation.

Now I see the point, the map renderer can draw half-tiles with runtime autotiling without having to implement halftiles in the map editor, file formats, in-memory map data, script commands, or anywhere else. That's nice, it makes it easy to implement!
vikings0022.gif
vikings0022.gif (431.14 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
However it still took me over two hours, spent almost entirely on getting lookup table correct (code here). I didn't take you seriously enough when you said the table was complicated! And I just hardcoded tiles 13 and 49 as autotiling for the tileset I'm using (attached). The three tiles at the top of the block are an isolated tile, diagonally adjust half-tiles (can be same as the first), and inner corner halftiles (can be same as the totally-surrounded tile). It's still necessary to replace the tileset file format to add autotile settings.

However, this is a very partial autotiling solution. Most OHR tilesets are not set up this way. I found very few tiles in Vikings that can be tiled like this (and even then I had to draw diagonally adjacent tiles), regardless of whether halftiles are used. I don't mean laid out on the tileset this way, I mean that there are extra tiles that need to be placed. That's why I do actually want to use Wang tiles or something similar to be more general. I just found Godot's implementation confusing and frustrating because of the way it handles corners (I can't remember how it works anymore, but I actually looked at its autotiler source code for clues because I was having trouble) although when it could do what I wanted it was great.

As for other tile sizes, it is planned to support arbitrary sizes such as 16x16. (Though I have heard the argument that the OHRRPGCE should stick to 20x20 tiles to force people to draw their own tiles!) The main difficulty is that I don't want to force all map layers to use the same tile size, which creates two problems: map editor functions such as Mark-Clone which affect multiple map layers, and rendering the minimap (which is done tile-by-tile). But allowing tilesets with more than 160 tiles is a separate project with much bigger problems (especially, replacing tile animations).

Anyway I'm meant to be working on other features.
Attachments
vikings autotileset10.png
vikings autotileset10.png (13.78 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I don't want to force all map layers to use the same tile size
Oh! I had imagined that a single map would only be allowed to use a single tilesets size

But if irregular layers are supported, how are they drawn? Even ignoring mark/clone and minimal, Do they contain a different total number of tiles than the other layers? Are they drawn up in the top left corner (unless moved with scripting?)

EDIT: also, awesome that you already got that far with autotiling! :v:
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, it would mean that tile layers could have different dimensions, which is something we want to allow for parallax anyway. By default they would all align at the top-left corner of the map, but we will probably add layer offsets as part of adding parallax. Of course, supporting different tile sizes on the same map is something that could be implemented later.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I want 19x23 tiles
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Don't you dare get me thinking about hexagonal maps. DON'T YOU DARE :zombie:
lennyhome
Slime Knight

Post by lennyhome »

I forgot to give links:
http://www.cr31.co.uk/stagecast/wang/tiles_c.html
https://opengameart.org/content/seamles ... emplate-ii
That's where the half-tile-in-a-tile pattern comes from. It has all the combinations needed.
Because the countour is continuos, it doesn't generate artifacts if you re-size/re-sample it. It's commonly used because it plays nice with OpenGL.

I already have prototype code that imports an RpgMaker autotile block into OHRRPGE and uses them without any additional features in the engine.

You draw your map like this in the editor:

Attach a script to the map and when you run the game:
And that's it. The same as RpgMaker does.

I'll write about it and sum it all up eventually but I already have proof of concept.
I just found Godot's implementation confusing and frustrating
The way I see it, it's such a violence to force creative people to understand any of this nonsense.
Most OHR tilesets are not set up this way.
The tilesets you're used to work with in OHRRPGCE are the same, except they're manually shifted by one half-tile. Take your autotiling pattern, rotate it all by one half-tile and you'll see a more familiar pattern.
I want 19x23 tiles
Non-power of 2 numbers are unholy. Except 20x20 because 320x200, which is extremely holy, is divisible by it.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm hoping this is simple because it doesn't need to be displayed in game at all, just in the editor. If it's not simple don't worry about it!

Would it be possible to add a Notes field where developers can type in info that appears under all of the other enemy/hero/etc data? I use a bunch of duplicate enemies with the same names for different reasons, it would be very convenient to be able to write stuff like "Use this version for boss battles," "Use this one for Easy Mode," etc.
Attachments
Notes.png
Notes.png (13.92 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, I've been meaning to add that. It's actually pretty easy.
Alurith
Slime

Post by Alurith »

I would like the option to turn off the basic attack, in battle. My game really doesn't need it, since everything is based around "magic" attacks.
Still working on a game called Unfamiliar Nostalgia.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

You can delete the basic attack from the Battle Menu editor in the Hero Editor
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

for transmogrification, could the ability to change the new enemy's maximum stats to match that of the enemy undergoing transmogrification be implemented? ie: if multiple enemies with different stats all are transmogrified into the same, different enemy, and then they're hit by a status effect attack that does percentile damage (or rather, resets its target stat to max before doing percentile damage), right now that uses the new enemy's stats as the baseline and is likely radically different than those of the previous enemies'. I'd like for the status effect attack to have the same effect as it would if used on the original enemies.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hedera wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:22 am for transmogrification, could the ability to change the new enemy's maximum stats to match that of the enemy undergoing transmogrification be implemented?
Oh, I forgot to reply to you in Discord after I implemented that.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

TMC wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:31 am
Hedera wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:22 am for transmogrification, could the ability to change the new enemy's maximum stats to match that of the enemy undergoing transmogrification be implemented?
Oh, I forgot to reply to you in Discord after I implemented that.
Awesome, thanks!