The Official Gizmog Halloween Contest Dev Diary

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

The Official Gizmog Halloween Contest Dev Diary

Post by Gizmog »

Accept no substitutions! Beware of impostors! This is the only official source for information on this game that doesn't even have a title!

Why a dev diary? Because we talked about it in IRC and as always, I'm the only one dumb enough to actually put his neck out there, that's why! Plus I figure it's like dog-shaming: Put me in a cardboard box with a sign on it and maybe I'll behave.

Why the Halloween Contest? Because it's the best chance I'm gonna have to actually finish a game this year and I hate to go a whole year without doing something.

So, what's the idea? An 8 direction top-down shooter, featuring old timey priests, cowboys and vampires in a showdown for the ages. Possibly get some of that sweet Civil War vibe in there.

Why is this going to succeed where that last shooter failed? That's a very good question, since I'm not directly re-using any of the systems and am in fact making things more rather than less complicated. I've also only got fifteen days, I got some kinda upper respiratory infection going on, and am busy out the slime with family obligations, PLUS I'm doin a stupid dev diary now! Make no mistake, this is likely to end in total abject failure, the way most games do.

What's done so far? Basically nothing, including the planning! Last time I had my scripts and graphics done to my satisfaction (which never happens) and then realized that I had made no consideration of how to advance the gameplay. I had planned to have "levels" but I hadn't thought about how you would get to the next level. Get enough points? Find a key and open a door? Just walk to it? Even if I had a satisfactory answer to that, the scripts themselves weren't prepared for a guy to be changing maps. So instead we got stuck with a tech demo.

So first up in this diary is going to be the planning phase, aka the Overthinking Phase, the dangerous realm where even the best idea can turn into slime on your sandwich. And unlike last time, we're taking nothing for granted! Every detail is going to be planned, so that when the times comes I can implement it without a second thought.

Oh, I do have a script that lets me move a rectangle slice around the screen and tells me which direction its facing, but at 60 FPS it doesn't move quite right and so I need to tweak my movement and inputs so that it feels better.

THE PLANNING PHASE

What is the basic mechanic for gameplay? Shooting enemies.

Define shooting. The player will begin with a small supply of ammunition. They can buy more rounds and of stronger varieties later. By using this ammunition they create a shot, a projectile which will inflict damage on an enemy if it hits. Different enemies may have weaknesses to different types of ammunition, making it economical to return to town and buy the correct type rather than wasting a non-optimal variant.

Define money. Killing enemies will drop money. As might further objectives.

Define enemies.Objects on dangerous maps that will seek to harm the player. Some of them (zombies, vampires, werewolves) will obey more or less the same rules he does (can't go through walls, move in 8 directions, fire shots or just run into you). Others (Bats, ghosts, fireballs) will ignore the walls and instead move in semi-predictable patterns (circles, waves, straight lines) off the map. These will probably be more obnoxious than the others and might require "bullet hell" type skills to dodge between them while firing at the object they're originating from. There might also need to be boss types, larger enemies who take multiple hits and fire larger projectiles, who require deeper thought to get past.

Define objectives/objects things originate from. Since the player's health is the limiting factor into how deep they can explore (they can restore their health for free in town or use "potions" to heal while in danger) and thus how much money they can make, it should be possible to make the earlier, less lucrative sections of game less dangerous, allowing deeper penetration as the game wears on.

No map should ever be totally safe (Except for town) because otherwise a player might get stuck without any money and no way of getting more. That would be bad! But by having monsters who simply spawn more monsters (Like a fireplace that shoots out fireballs) and remembering that that fire has been extinguished and is never coming back, we can allow the players to feel like they've made progress. By making a fireplace reward a big amount of money and fireballs no amount of money, we can also make it a challenge to their ammo supplies.

And in the most difficult cases, we could have rules like... "EVERY fireplace on a map must be destroyed, or else all of them come back!" to encourage the player to stick their necks out just a little farther and be forced to face every challenge the map has before it can truly be considered safe.

So there should be non-combat utility items, fire extinguishers, etc? No! The players only means of interacting with the gameworld is by shooting (In the dangerous parts) and talking (In town). In fact, unless there's a very good why-not, the town should just be a sexy menu of some kind.

Random Thought It'd be fun to have "ambush" maps where the enemies just keep pouring in until you're able to shoot down a door.

What if the player runs out of bullets and money? I guess there needs to be a "melee" option, where melee is a gun that doesn't consume bullets and has an extremely short range. If melee is a stronger option against some enemies, then we get players doing dangerous slime and that's a good thing. Most good gameplay mechanics boil down to gambling.

How do we advance levels? YOU'RE FORGETTING THAT AGAIN Most of the time, simply reaching the "Exit" to the next area should be sufficient, epecially since you're going to have to walk all the way back: That's a natural incentive to not go rushing right there. In other areas, I think it's fair to expect a certain objective to be cleared: Clearing all the enemies, , shooting some kind of magic gems to bring down the forcefield, etc.

How will the player know what to do? I guess we'll have to tell them. Have been considering a Bounty Hunter kind of main character, so a "bounty sheet" of goals to be accomplished on each "level" could be interesting and directly tell the reward. Maybe require the player to find a dead bounty hunter on the given level first? Maybe on later levels the bounty hunter isn't so dead and isn't so willing to share the rewards. Sounds like a game!

What is the plot? My original inspiration for this idea was Lee Van Cleef's character from "For A Few Dollars More". There's a scene where a guy tries to pull a runner, and he just calmly and professionally opens his saddlebags, flips out some kind of extender/rifle grip kind of thing for his pistol, takes careful aim and downs the guy with a single shot. It's a super sick move that shows you this guy isn't to be trifled with, but that he isn't a mad dog killer either. It reminds me a lot of Van Helsing from Dracula and I would've loved to see Van Cleef in the role.

I guess this game's plot is my way of exploring that concept of a Cowboy Vampire Killer. (If I call the game "Cowboy Vampire Killer", you all have permission to quit being my friend.) I don't want to take the idea too far out west, because the west is all about the wide outdoors and that doesn't make for good vampire drama. Vampires are an inside kind of a thing, meant to be more claustrophobic.

I'd kind of like to put the thing in New Orleans, but everyone puts spooky slime in New Orleans, the swampiness, the fogginess, the French influence and port, it's just too good of an answer. Would Richmond be too Confederate? Would a game where you fight Vampire not-quite-Jefferson Davis be in bad taste? Would setting the game in North Carolina say too much about my basketball allegiances? Hard to say and not important at this point. Literally one damn textbox.

You didn't answer the question, Mr. TrumpFINE! The plot is you're a bounty hunter, you roll into town looking for big game. A notorious lawbreaker has set up shop nearby, and the good people of the good town are harassed by night by the outlaws and bushwhackers overflowing from his palace of sin. (Should the game take place in Atlantic City? Was Atlantic City a palace of sin back then? Does it matter?) The deeper you get, the more obvious it becomes that the dude in question is a vampire and his palace of sin is a serious Castle-Castlevania kind of situation. I don't want to get too much more specific than that, because as the gameplay begins to unfold the story might naturally go in a certain direction that's better than what I can see now.

You do realize you've only got two weeks, you just wasted like 4 hours on this stupid diary slime, and you still have absolutely nothing to show for it, right? Right. :zombie:

Progress report tonight or tomorrow. Current Goal: Preliminary art and coding.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

So how'd it go? Not good. I tried designing the hero, a little bit based on the "Who Let All These Clowns" demo (the only graphics of mine I've ever really liked!) and wasn't pleased with the results. Van Cleef is too macho a guy to make for a good horror game villain, at least the way I'm going. The art style also isn't holding to what I think the game should be.

That's not the worst thing that can happen, better to know now than later. Frankly, the chances of completing something so fancy in

So how're you gonna fix that? That's a good question. I can either cut back on the original design or think of something totally new, but eaier! I don't know which yet and I haven't gotten much sleep.

There is a game I could rip off. "Sword of the Samurai", a PC Game from 100 years ago had pretty decent 4 directional, slow-paced combat. The downside is that it drew most of its appeal from the samurai flavoring, and from having duels, real-time strategy and basic "Crusader Kings 2" style politics to distract you from how simple any one part of the game was.

It could be interesting to re-flavor it as witchhunting, with posses and deputies rather than samurai. The art load would be heavily reduced, the scripting would be cut down a little bit by the lesser directions, but at the asme time it might require map generation and a lot of fiddliness between things and still isn't really "scary".

Gonna sleep on it and see what I come up with. I don't hate it, but I still don't think I'm on quite the right track. And time isn't getting any better!
Attachments
Too big, too clunky, not vulnerable enough, not dodgy enough.
Too big, too clunky, not vulnerable enough, not dodgy enough.
CowboyVampireKiller.bmp (758 Bytes) Viewed 3048 times
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

That doesn't look like 24 hours worth of work... YEAH, I KNOW.
Attachments
..somehow it looks better when they do it.
..somehow it looks better when they do it.
WitchHunters0002.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
Hmm...
Hmm...
20161015080228_1.jpg (181.55 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I dunno, your one looks pretty ace. The font is tops.
Last edited by guo on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

you must be looking at it backwards, the one on the bottom is mine nad it's the default OHR Font. The Japanese looking one is Sword of the Samurai, the game I'm homaging.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I feel there is a lack of detail in yours, primarily the lack of roads, which is contributing to the difference between the two screenshots. That being said, I don't think it's a bad thing, just add in some paths.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

D'oh :hurr:

Just rounding off some of the sharp/square-ish edges would go a long way. It still looks ok to me.
vvight.wordpress.com
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Good points! I'm going to bed now, but that's good stuff to start in the morning. As is... art, and scripting and everything else I been totally slacking on. Hehe! It's not really fun till you only have a week left.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Gizmog wrote:It's not really fun till you only have a week left.
Story of my life. Last Halloween I waited until the day before.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I played an interesting game not too long ago called the "Lakeview Cabin Collection". Apparently it's based on a Flash game, Lakeview Cabin, kind of a Friday The 13th sort of deal. I am going to spoil the living hell out of them here in the interests of game design.

It's a collection of 4 games (Lakeview Cabin 3-6, leaving 2 a mystery) each with the same basic mechanics and each taking after a different horror movie. They also each explore a different aspect of horror game, and I thought I'd talk about that here.

The first game, Lakeview Cabin 3, is a pretty straight forward horror game. Taking after Friday the 13th, you're a group of camp counsellors, two men, two women, at a spooky lakeside camp where bad slime has happened. You wander around the camp finding little hints as to the history and eventually, a killer comes out and you have to fight it.

When the killer arrives on screen there's a loud noise and the camera flashes a little. Very basic, but very effective. Furthermore, you can get in the lake where he can't(?) hurt you and watch as he wanders around through the cabin, collecting weapons, sabotaging the lights and looking for you. Very atmospheric and cool.

Gameplaywise, it seems to be an introduction to the basic mechanics of the game. You can switch to any of the four characters at any time (Unless they're dead!), you can pick up and interact with different items, or pick up and carry/throw teammates around to explore different areas. You don't have a lot of options, so you get to explore what you have and figure it out. Great tutorial design and pretty decent atmosphere.

One of the really interesting parts is that having seen how it goes the first time, you can adjust your strategy for next time. He slimed me up pretty bad with an axe the first time. Second time around, I made a beeline for the axe and got there first. Sucker! And then I accidentally set myself on fire. Fun! Doubly fun is what to do if you get tired of waiting for the killer to pop up. Do what anybody in a horror movie does: Drink beer, smoke a doobie, and screw your friends! These activities are possible, and they legitimately do hurry the killer along! Cheeky good fun.

(Fair warning, I haven't actually beaten any of these games. Except maybe the "5th" one.)

With the first game having taught you the very basics, the second game teaches you the limitations of those strategies and to be cautious. It's based on like... Texas Chainsaw Massacre or any of those mutants in the middle of nowhere who want to slaughter a van full of hot girls movies.

This time, your goal is to find 4 cans of gas to refuel your van and get the hell out of there. You'll have to explore a spooky barn and a spooky house to do this, and each spooky room is full of spooky guys who want to kill the crap out of you. This is where you learn you can "peek" through doors, and using this ability to determine when it's safe to enter a room will be key to survival. It also slimes you over a little if you try to ue the last level's tricks.. there's a big pit that looks like you can throw a friend across, but it's JUST a little too big.

The scares in this level are also a little more advanced. There's lots of traps that trigger a ringing bell, which is irritating on its own, but then there's also giant killer rats that pop out in truly terrifying ways. Some of the traps are deadly in their own right, and with so many people in the house, it can be easy to get overwhelmed if you don't take it slow and consider your options.

(The final gas can is basically a crazier version of the old Super Mario 2 "Get the key and get chased by the scary mask" routine, only you have to go backwards through a maze you just navigated where any wrong move is essentially instant death.)

Which brings us to my favorite of the collection, Lakeview Cabin 5. Its inspiration seems to be the later installments of the original batch of Halloween movies, where Michael Myers began developing more of a ritual mythos. Having spent the last two installments teaching you the mechanics, you assume that this is going to be the payoff to those lessons, a grand, perfect runthrough in which nobody is going to be killed and you'll reign supreme.

Remember I said there'd be spoilers. This is the best game in the bunch, and also the most puzzle oriented so if you keep reading, it's your own damn fault.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Everybody gone? Good! One of the very first things that happens in this instsallment is that the police show up.. and accidentally shoot you. If you're anything like me, by this time your muscle memory kicks in and you automatically switch to another character and keep going. And then not-quite Michael Myers gets you. So you switch again and wait a minute.. since when can you switch to the dead guys?

In a super-exciting twist, in this episode you can control the dead characters in Hell(?). Navigating a simple maze with spooky effects will bring you back to life! There's a house with weird markings on the wall and floor, and taking a revived character there will one of the logos on the wall to light up, depending on how they died.

The goal then, is to find 4 different ways to die to activate each of the markings on the wall. It feels weird to send these people to hell, wondering if you'll really be able to bring them back, wondering if there's some kind of trap involved. (You can kill and revive the cop if you want, using him instead of one of the kids if you're so inclined. Dunno if there's a reason to do this or not.)

Once you've completed the ritual, you summon a ghost. And when the killer shows up, the ghost beats the killer up for you. Other puzzle/rituals summon two more ghosts, and with their help you're able to put the bad guy away for good. It's a really long game, with lots of trial and error, but I don't think you can actually lose.

This game has perhaps the greatest kind of horror: Making you feel like you're doing something you aren't supposed to do. The very first puzzle is dialing 911, and maybe it's just me, but I get nervous about that. "What if it's a real phone? You get in trouble for crank calls to 911!" your brain says. Another puzzle involves using a ouija board for hints. Controlling 4 teenagers into committing suicide for the sake of some nebulous ritual (there's no direct dialogue in any of the games, eveything is conveyed either through pantomime or in-game literature.) feels wrong. Coming back from the dead feels wrong, and the characters naked bodies are marked with a symbol of how they died to further emphasize a kind of taint to things.

Unleashing the three ghosts, even for a good cause, feels icky, and you wonder if it was the right thing to do. Hell, one of the puzzles encourages you to have the brother and sister character sleep together. It's forbidden fruit all the way to the bottom and it's a very effective kind of horror and unease that I've never seen in a video game before. Where the first two installments play so heavily into "Don't die! Mortality is real!" it's great to see a third installment make you virtually immortal and leave you wondering when the other shoe is gonna drop.

The fourth and final game is an Alien kind of thing and honestly I didn't get that deep into it. The third one has multiple endings, lots of weirdness and creates a feeling that there's something you're missing, something you're doing wrong, a "right way" to go about it.

There are some jumpscares in there, and none of the games do a good enough job of giving you feedback as to whether or not what you're trying to do is working (pretty typical in flash games, pretty typical in horror games), but largely they're pretty well designed and fun. A lot of people might be turned off by the drug use, and the (optional?) nudity and sex, but if you're a horror movie fan it's nothing you haven't seen before.

All things considered, it's a pretty cool experience and a good demonstration of virtually every kind of way that a game can be scary. I appreciate that (mostly) it avoids the jumpscares, and it doesn't get into like.. fake error messages or weird slime happening outside of the game (like all those godawful Slender things).

What about YOUR game, jackass? YEAH, I KNOW
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Congrats, now you have a Finish Your Damn Game Contest-game instead of a Halloween Contest game... or maybe even something for Willy's collection.

I'm intrigued by the Sword of the Samurai idea. I tried replaying that recently, and you're right, the individual minigames don't stand up on their own very well, they get boring quick; it depends on switching between them and all occurring in balance. And the late game content isn't available to spice things up in the early game either. The game is totally dependent on atmosphere and immersion. I insisted on replaying on medium or higher difficulty and kept dying over and over and never got far.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.