METACHAT: Queen Arkwyn's Crown (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Haha! That is a great name :)
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

That baby kobold and that tiny owlbear are going to grow up and become mortal enemies
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Newbie Newtype wrote:That baby kobold and that tiny owlbear are going to grow up and become mortal enemies
The baby's name is now Pibi. :)
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Do you have a detailed description of the tracking device now that Hyne can see it up close?
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

What is the state of the string now? Was it stuffed entirely under the hat?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Newbie Newtype wrote:...It worries him a bit that he's now associated with someone he's never heard of before, but he can't stand there and interrogate the creature right now...
it has been more than 6 months in real-time since you heard the name, so I am not surprised you forgot :)

But in game-time, it has only been 2 days since Hyne first heard it, so it might be reasonable for him to remember. Or you could roll for it, however you prefer.

First mention of Cray:

https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... ray#126568
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

It was such an off hand comment that it's doubtful the name would have registered in his mind.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Sorry for the absurd delay! Trying to get back into the story now :)
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I need to do some catching up myself, to remind myself of some context that I'll need to have Hyne respond appropriately.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Newbie Newtype wrote:...
Finally, he asks, "Has the Flying Eye Goddess made it through okay after that bad run-in with the suicide vessel?"
I hope I didn't accidentally say anything to suggest that the Flying Eye Goddess had any run-in with the King's Funeral Ship (the suicide ship)

The last time Hyne saw the Flying Eye Goddess, it was still at the dock loading supplies. It wasn't planning on leaving until the storm passed https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... &start=574

(or did I misunderstand, and is Hyne trying to convince the Captain that he knows of something that didn't really happen?)
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Oops, I never left the RP thread page, so I didn't see this post.

it was just him asking if the other ship was okay as a sort of check up on its progress.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Crazy fact: The clipboard wasn't invented until about 1870 (I had to check, for some reason I was thinking 1901), and its existence implies precision metalworking things like springs, hinges, and reliable bondage to wood, not to mention the ability to smelt the right kind of metals. You couldn't make a cast iron clipboard, for instance, not enough flexibility. I would imagine (Googling "What did they do before clipboards" is totally unhelpful) that before clipboards were invented they used something like an artists easel, a board with a hole in it to put your thumb or finger to hold stuff down.

Another crazy fact, I think this one from xkcd: The doorknob wasn't even invented until 1878, Abraham Lincoln died without ever seeing one. How might the world have changed if such a great man had met such a great invention, we'll never know. What we do know isn't interesting (Google is a lot more helpful this time) so I'm going rogue: before the invention of the doorknob, people used a system remarkably close to Venetian Blinds to pull a series of wooden slats down across unwanted holes in their home. It also vaguely resembled the modern garage door opener, only much more reliable. The English were particularly fond of these devices, and even implemented much stronger draw-strings to keep children from opening the door for Vikings (Whose promises of candy, women, and song remain tempting to this day). Even then, it was very difficult to get the darn things straight, and if you noticed your neighbors were a bit askew, it was polite to just ignore it. This was called "turning a blind-eye". Forensic examination of corpses from the period prove that these faux-doors had disastrous consequences for their skeletal structures, with the cord side of Englishmen of the period being much much stronger than the other side. It's no wonder they invented the doorknob, and not a moment too soon if you ask me.

(I mostly bring up the doorknob because Bilbo's house in The Hobbit had a round green door with a "brass knob exactly in the middle" and you see it depicted that way all the time. Was John Wilkes Booth our very own American Boromir? And who the hell invented the booth anyway? Why's a phone booth vertical and a booth at a diner horizontal? Seriously, I don't know. It's not fair to expect me to have ALL the answers. Oh, and congrats to the two of you for having the longest running campaign! Who would've thought mono-game-y would win out!)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Haha! I knew clipboard might be anachronistic when I wrote it, but I didn't realize how badly.

Now I imagine that Tip's clipboard is a simple artifact, enchanted with some cheap necromancy. Affixed to the top of the board is a single skeletal finger from an animated skeleton. It perpetually grips, holding the paper in place, but not so hard that you can't lift it away temporarily by pulling it.

There is an executive model that uses the skeleton's full lower jaw, but that is garish, and the previous quartermaster would not have spent the extra money on it.

Pre-doorknob latches are pretty cool! Found this at http://www.wilderness-survival.net/shel ... s-latches/

When I was a kid my family used pull-string latches on a couple of our sheds and out-buildings.
Oh, and congrats to the two of you for having the longest running campaign! Who would've thought mono-game-y would win out!)
I'm still having lots of fun! A one-player campaign works rather well for play-by-post, since you are only waiting on two people, not more. An army is as slow as the slowest marcher, I guess.

By the way, Giz, if you want to revive the now-defunct Arcane Firefighters game as a single-player game for Cece, I would be delighted.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I can't wait for Halloween so I can get one of those spooky bowls with the hand what reaches down and grabs you when you try to get candy and break the damn thing and affix the spooky bits to a wooden board. This is gonna be the best clipboard ever.

Good thing we invented doorknobs, I got no clue what's going on in that picture. It looks like you had to operate a sewing machine to get into your house, which is even weirder than any of my wildest prognostications. 194 reminds me of this one door on the trailer I grew up in (or the screen door on it, at any rate) and it was a great door because it went outside, but there wasn't a porch there so it was like.. a door to outside, altitude 3 feet.

It's a great offer, I hate to waste that cool city but things are still kind of hectic for me and I'm not sure I could hold up my end. I'll see how things are going in a week or two... which is what I always say.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The nice thing about a 2 person game is that keeping up doesn't matter much. You can leave and come back whenever without falling behind.

I love the idea of the 3 foot drop out the door. That high enough to have fun with, but low enough that a kid probably won't break their neck

At my childhood home, the upstairs door was strictly kept locked at all times.

(Those are my parents on the bottom right, younger then than I am now)