Where's that thread about utilities for making music?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Where's that thread about utilities for making music?

Post by Gizmog »

I swear there was a thread a long time ago where people talked about the different cool (free) utilities they used to make music for their games. I never thought I'd need it, but now I'm thinking I'll try to learn. Anybody got any cool programs or hints to making music?
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Lily Pond is one that comes to mind, but that might be a bit too feature-heavy for most. There's also Audacity, but that's more for putting your music together rather than making music.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

So it just writes down the notes, it doesn't let you know what it sounds like? IS that how they all work? THe lasts thing I used was Notate.exe about a hundred years ago.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

FamiTracker is a good tracker. Anyone can make (strictly) 8-bit songs fairly easily without any background in music. This video has a decent introduction to it. Once you figure out the layout, you can actually make simple but decent stuff really quickly.

And if you like, you can take the tracks made from here, import them into something like Audacity and play with it in there so you can get the 8-bit sound with more flare.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

No, LilyPond allows you to listen to stuff as well. You notate stuff, add whatever instruments, listen to what you wrote down, etc... It might be a bit on the heavy side though, in terms of features.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I spent an hour with a tracker once, but I don't think I'm cut out for it.

This page might be useful (or you can add to it!)
http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Music_Utilities
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Wolfram Tones is surprisingly cool! LMMS seems like about my speed but my internet keeps hating the download for some reason. Gonna check out FamiTracker too. Thanks and sorry for totally neglecting the wiki: I am a moron :(
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

The engine can play tracked music too, so there's also OpenMPT
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

I have to say if you're going to use a track try Milky Tracker. It's set up like any other tracker but is advantageous in that it allows you to use your own samples. This means you can take in any sound you want and it will automatically transpose across every note on the keyboard thus you can play that sample at any pitch. Very great for making glitch chiptune type beats. It also have a nice feature where you can draw or edit waveforms. Also there's a great youtube tutorial series for it which makes it easy to learn.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases