CAMPAIGN: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin is surprisingly not bothered by the knocking, but a quick turn to the stairs finds him what does him a bother: the stairs. As he struggles to hurry in his age and keeping himself from toppling down with a cane, he yells out, "Somebody favor me and answer that more quickly than I!"

If, unfortunately, nobody heeds the call and answers first, he'll be at the door when he can.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kailyn wakes, stretches out and gets ready for the day. He does his morning prayers, grabs a quick bite to eat, feeds the Commander, and heads out.

Then, he remembers something, heads back, gets properly dressed this time, and heads out once more. His armor ready, his clothes fabulous, and his smile dazzling, he heads off on his jaunty little way to the headquarters, completely and utterly oblivious to the events the previous day.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Caldon

"Oh, Mister Morgensen! You are such a kidder!"

She dismisses his gruff insult as if it had been a joking compliment.

"The clients will be here in just a few minutes, I don't suppose you have somewhere to be right now, do you? I know you have some sort of family history with this place, but really, Lord Fairmond wants this place sold, and..."

She cups one hand and whispers as if confiding a secret

"The woman I showed through here last week said you were 'off-putting'! I don't like to gossip, but she may have used the word 'glowering'"

Normin

Nobody gets to the door before Normin, in fact the whole headquarters is pretty quiet and empty. Ursula is gone, Silva and Elsinore are nowhere to be seen, and only a lazyleaf cloud hints at life in the bunk-room where Sharn and Cece have been sleeping.

None of the other firefighters have arrived yet.

When Normin opens the door, there is Provincial Pilsbury, smiling wide, blonde moustache waxed, bald forehead gleaming.

"I brought breakfast for Lady Kari's finest!" he says, hefting an enormous bucket covered with a steaming towel. It smells like sausages.

"She heard about your good work yesterday-- and more importantly, Her Ladyship the High-Mayor heard about it. I'm to tell you she wants a meeting with the Guild of Arcane Firefighters this morning"

Kailyn

As Kailyn leaves his apartment the second time, properly clad, something out-of-order catches his eye.

Commander Bibbles has not yet emerged from his little nest of shredded cloth and paper.

The leaf of Bakak-Cabbage and the little heap of locally sourced grains are undisturbed on the feeding-plate where Kailyn left them.

Should he choose to investigate further;

The cage was latched perfectly, but Commander Bibbles is not there! The little bit of soft fur protruding from the nest is not the commander! Kailyn can recognize the similarly colored bundle of fur as being the collar of one of his fine jackets, apparently ripped off and crumpled up to commit this heinous deception. (this is the same perception check you failed last night)
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Perfidy! Treachery! And other assorted and related adjectives! Kailyn searches the area for any clues (despite having pretty much zero idea as to what he's doing and what he's looking for), trying to uncover anything as to the whereabouts of the Commander. He also grabs the tuft of treachery, giving it a look to see if there's anything suspicious about it, other than it not being Commander Bibbles.

Should he not find anything, he'll rush out to find that painter... what's-his-name... with the brush. It'll come to him eventually.

Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Hmm hm hm," he muffles, waving an arm to where the platter can be delivered. He focuses on the subject of noble invitation, "Ill tidings for modesty this morrow. Very well. How urgent is our arrival? The firefighters are cursed never to be a singularity, as you can see. A shame for the wurst waiting cold for the others' return."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The smell of sausage hits Sharn's nose. There was something about lazyleaf that made her really hungry when she smoked it. She went for the food she squirreled away at first, but then she noticed the smell wasn't coming from her day old sausages but from somewhere else. It would ruin her plan to stay in bed, but she decided it a quick trip to possibly gain some good food might be worth it. Then she would return to her bed once she was well fed.
Sharn clutched the silver she had gotten last night as she ventured out of bed. She could eat like a king today, and no one could stop her. A greedy expression crawled across her face as she exited the bunk room. After finding that hat guy, the sausage man, and the platter of sausage being delivered, Sharn was delighted to see that her meals might yet again be free today.
Sharn made no attempts to greet the people in the room as she crept her way towards the sausages.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Kailyn

The latch on the cage is closed, and there is no sign of tampering.

Smushed underneath the cage, Kailyn finds a fragment of yesterday's Bakak Cabbage leaf, only slightly wilted, as if someone had tucked it under there to hide the fact that it had never been finished.

The piece of fur is almost exactly the same color as the fur on Commander Bibbles's back.

In his closet, Kailyn finds the coat that it was torn from. The seams at the collar look like they were cut with a knife and then ripped off the rest of the way. Nothing else is amiss in or around the closet... except... in the vandalized coat's inner pocket is a scrap of paper from Kailyn's own stationery pad. It has a single large letter scrawled in the middle of it

Normin and Sharn

"Helloo!" says Provincial with a smile, letting Sharn take the bucket from him.

The bucket is bigger and heavier than the individual sausage buckets they had all recieved yesterday. Under the towel, Sharn finds many small sausages of two different kinds arranged in a spiral pattern, resting on a bed of many layers of pancakes that have already been liberally drenched in sweet cactus syrup.

Provincial turns his attention back to Normin.

"I expect her Ladyship the Mayor will want to see you before noon. I don't rightly know if she wants to see all of you, or just a representative."

"Lady Kari also asked if you had any success getting the Alarmstones set up yet."
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Her Ladyship will be fine with a representative if we must. We'll simply say that some of the missing members had to man the post. Still, I suppose we should see who is able to attend first.. And I had assumed the alarmstones were already in place? Something else that needs testing, it seems."
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Caldon glowers. "Miss Pitt, you have not seen me off-putting. I would advise you to limit your presence in my domain unless you wish to find out what that looks like."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Sharn ignores the talk of going anywhere. However she doesn't stay silent. She interjects with a question while she grabs twice as many sausages and pancakes as she thinks she can eat. "When are we getting paid today?" she asks both Normin and Provincial.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

A letter... V...? Kailyn wonders what that could mean... Perhaps, a spurned lover? Or some wronged noble? Kailyn ponders over the recent list that comes to mind.

There was Valerie, but he'd assumed she was over the entire debacle with the cantaloupes and broccoli.

Vanessa is a possibility, but he doubts that she would be able to pick him out from everyone that was there. He's certain he wasn't the only tiefling there, or even the only biped for that matter.

Victoria maybe...

Or perhaps her brother Victor...

Or both of them, they weren't too pleased when they found out who the other person was at that little tête-à-tête during the masquerade party. It was their own fault for not knowing what the other got up to on their spare time.

The veterinarian also comes to mind, he wasn't too happy over that one time, and he complained that he'd had to hire a wizard to really get the place clean. That, and the parakeet was never the same afterwards.

Whoever it was, that person must be found! That bunny-hating, home-invading, prude-being criminal must be brought to justice! Or at least something suitably nasty.

Kailyn rushes out of his house, trying to think up of something he can do to track down the criminal. Wait! He was a government employee now! That means, he should have access to government resources. That's it, he'll bring the full weight of the city's legal system down to bear on this perpetrator! Or at least, what legal weight he can manage to cajole.

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Caldon

"Mister Morgensen..." Miss Pitt's chipper veneer seems to crack as she pleads, "You must take that up with Lord Fairmond. He is the legal owner of this building now, and I am merely his solicitor."

At that moment a pair of dragonborn nobles appear at the front door, which Delibes Pitt had left ajar when she entered. Miss Pitt's bubbly demeanor instantly returns.

"Mister Antagonis! Elizibreath! I'm so happy to see you again!" she exclaims, and rushes over to give the woman a careful hug and peck on the cheek.

Both dragonborn are middle-aged and over-weight, and wearing the noble equivalent of winter casual clothes.

Mr. Antagonis glances around at the walls and ceiling, producing a monocle from his pocket and popping it over his right eye.

Normin and Sharn

"I don't rightly know what an Alarmstone is," confesses Provincial with a chuckle, "Lady Kari just told me to ask after them."

To Sharn, Provincial says "You can pick up your day's wages from Lady Kari at the Unlucky Thrush Tavern whenever you like."

About this time, Ebald and Petrol arrive at the door, and greet the others in the room.
DM wrote:I have converted them both into NPCs
Cece

Upstairs, Cece sleeps. What is she dreaming now?

Kailyn

Unable to guess which of his many V. named enemies is seeking revenge upon him, Kailyn ponders how he can leverage the power of his new office
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

"I have to go all the way over there?" complained Sharn. Things were getting out of hand. She had thought this food delivery would be the key to her success for staying in bed all day. However, the idea that she would have to venture outside in order to get the money she's earned was depressing. She shook her head as she slowly returned to her bed, eating the pancakes along the day.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"I'm sure we have the alarm stones. Sharn, we can collect our payment as we are heading up to see the ladyship. We should bring an alarmstone each."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Sharn shot a look of disgust back at Normin. A meeting? "The hat man must be joking," Sharn said out loud to herself. Living here wasn't working out as well as she'd hoped. Then she thought of some of the other places she lived before this. A wave of relaxed relief washed over her then. "At least I'm not in danger of being sexually assaulted here," blurted Sharn. "Let me know when you plan to leave." With that Sharn resumed her path back to bed.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.