CAMPAIGN: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

CAMPAIGN: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Post by Bob the Hamster »

A small notice is posted in the corner of one of the big community bulletin boards in the main square of the Marketday district.
By order of the High-Mayor, and with approval of the Lord-Treasurer, the Outer Bakak Fine Meats & Sausages Company has been authorized to fund and form a local chapter of the Guild of Arcane Firefighters. All interested and qualified parties should meet between the hours of Dawn and Halfmorn on the day of 18-Midwinter in the common room of the Unlucky Thrush Tavern on Longshale Street. Applicants should come prepared to work, and should avoid wearing flammable clothing or ornaments.
Now is just before dawn on 18-Midwinter.

(Meta-chat, questions, and off-topic nonsense can go in the <a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... CHARACTERS thread</a>)

Current Players
* <a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... 22919">Big Hat Normin</a> Gnome Wizard (Newbie Newtype)
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... >Caldon</a> Human Fighter (Mogri)
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... 3">Cece</a> Half-elf Sorceror (Gizmog)
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... ngeline</a> Human Bard (Master K)
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... >Kailyn</a> Tiefling Cleric (BMR)
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... >Petrol</a> Halfling Rogue (RMSephy)
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... ">Sharn</a> Half-Orc Warlock (Spoonweaver)
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... Arcadia</a> High-Elf Cleric (Sazae)
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... ">Ebald</a> Human Monk (Idontknow)

Retired Players
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... 3">Bobo</a> Halfling Barbarian (Willy Electrix) -- became an NPC when Willy retired from the campaign
* <a href="http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html# ... >Rasvim</a> Kobold Rogue (Taco_Bot) -- became an NPC when Taco_Bot retired from the campaign
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

It is early in the morning on 18-midwinter.

The rising sun is shining brightly on the mountain-peaks that fill the sky south of the city. Those of you lucky enough to have a window facing that direction might be enjoying their soft reflected light before the morning sunlight touches the city of Great Bakak directly

This is the day that the flier said to go to the Unlucky Thrush Tavern.

None of disparate adventure-seekers know each other. None of you have ever had a conversation with any of the others. But what you all have in common, is that you all need money. Hopefully this job will work out.

Each of you wakes up in your own home (or trash-bin) Do you rush right to the Marketday district? Do you prepare yourself for the day? Do you eat breakfast? Do you have any errands to run first? Will you sleep in late and hope that nobody else shows up at the tavern before you?

All of you know how to get from your homes to the Marketday district, and all of you have seen the Unlucky Thrush Tavern from the street at some point in the past. You can find it without trouble when you are ready.
Dungeonmaster wrote:Role-play your mornings as you see fit. As long as you are sticking to settings you already know about, and not trying to do anything difficult or dangerous, you can make up whatever you like.

If you want to do any such stuff as:

* explore something you haven't seen before
* examine something in detail
* have a conversation with an important NPC
* do an action that a typical person might have a chance to fail at

just say what your character wants to do, and (as soon as I able) I will describe what you want to see, or roll a skill check and tell you whether you succeeded or failed

If anybody has any out-of-character questions, <a href="www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7008">just ask them over in the CHARACTERS thread</a>

Also, remember that we will all be posting at our own pace, so don't feel pressured to post constantly. If you are busy and can't check in for a few days, it is my job as DM to keep your character safe and out-of-the-way until you get back.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kailyn wakes in his bed. After taking I a few moments to collect his thoughts, he disentangles himself from the sheets and... whatever her name was as well. He heads to his study and checks on the Commander. There isn't much rabbit food left, and with the few coins he has left he'll have to figure something out sooner or later. Maybe later.

He digs into the chest in his study and retrieves a few items of importance before settling down to meditate before them for a few minutes as he does every day to gather his divine power to himself. It's a time-consuming process, but it has to be done.

As soon as he's finished, he empties the last of the rabbit food into the Commander's pen and leaves the study, locking it behind himself. He heads into the kitchen and begins to prepare some excellently exquisite breakfast, along with a few chocolates for dessert. When everything's done, he places it all onto a platter, brings it to the bedroom, and leaves it for Katherine (ah, that's what her name was. Could've sworn it started with a "T", but oh well.) along with a note thanking her for a lovely time, but that he needed to dash.

With breakfast served, prayers prayed, and the Commander fed, he decides to get out of his birthday suit and finally put some clothes on. He dons his usual attire along with armor and shield (who knows what dangers await at the clutches of former lovers!) including his favorite cape, balderdash to any that say wearing such a thing would be a fire-hazard. He leaves his flat and heads on out, making sure to warmly and eloquently greet the neighbors as he does so.

At the ground floor, he salutes the guard and gives him a couple of gold pieces, one for Katelyn upstairs (or maybe it was Klaudine...?) and one for himself for doing such a spectacular job on such a fine day.

With everything ready, he makes an early start for this Unlucky Bush Tavern, or whatever it's called. The early bird and the early worm and all that. Along the way, he picks up a basket of fruit for a few silver pieces from that (oh so lovely, my dear) girl at the market stall he tends to pass by. He eats some of the fruit as he walks, humming as he goes and ready to face the day.

No idea how much a basket of fruit would cost, so I'll just say he purchased however many 5 silver pieces would fetch him.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The doorman, in spite of his professionalism, is unable to conceal his enormous stupid grin. He will be taking his wife out for a tree-lobster banquet this weekend. Kailyn is without a shadow of a doubt, his favorite tennant in the building. He has been padding his daughter's college-fund nicely with tips since the Teifling moved in to the building.

The fruit basket is large and lavish. There is enough to share.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

The fruit is delicious, but the basket is getting ridiculously heavy to carry. Then Kailyn strikes upon a brilliant idea, why carry it when he can get someone to do so for him?

With that in mind, he takes a quick detour towards the... less sparkly, side of town to hire him up some manual labor. And on the off chance that the job at the Mucky Lush Tavern proves to be dangerous, that's another body between him and sharp pointy things.
Last edited by BMR on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

"Ohhh, I deed no' mean to fall asleep" Cece moans to herself, stretching as much as the confines of the dumpster will allow. "I 'ad just come 'ome to 'ave a seet an' I guess I dozed off.." which usually would be good news. Good sleep is hard to come by, at least without a lump on the head. She runs her hand through her hair to check, just to be safe... and then rushes to the wondrous orb in her shirt. It's still there!

No lumps, no bumps. Nothing stolen. Nobody drumming on the noisy metal walls. Not waking up grosser than you started. A surprising start to the day. "Mondieu.." she exclaims graciously, taking her bedroll off of the scratchy parts of the floor and rolling it for storage. "Eet ees flammable, but I cannot leave eet behind."

Today is the day she's been looking forward to. Arcane Fire-fighters. A grand farce. "Maybe I underesteemate them.. the mayor and his lord-treasure.. maybe they no' so bad" she thinks, finally realizing she's been talking to herself as she puts on her vest and tries to prestidigitate her hair clean.. hard to see where you're pointing. Easy to miss a spot. Loaded and ready to face the day, she gets out of the dumpster. She's leaving behind a pile of torches and rope and she's hoping they haven't changed the collection schedule again. It's flammable and too much stuff to carry.

"Broken glass ees gone." she notes quietly. "I will 'ave to get more before Jack starts 'anging around again". If the Arcane Firefighters are as motivated as whoever cleans these alleys, maybe it really will be a public service. "An' if no', eet will be a laugh." she concludes. A laugh and maybe some sausage.

Cece Celasier takes a quick look around the Smokefields before stomping off towards the tavern. She doesn't want to miss a second of the meeting, but if breakfast were to fall in her lap then maybe a little tardiness wouldn't be too bad.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

Petrol wakes up in his quiet corner in the storage closet. Yet another night had gone by without anything terrible happening, but his deeply ingrained paranoia told him that it was only a matter of time. Getting permission to lodge in the judge's office has been a great boon, and gave Petrol a good opportunity to refill his coffers. But he was under no misapprehension that the lodgings were secure, or that they would last.

The floor of the office was unkempt and filled with all sorts of scrap, ranging from dried leaves to candy wrappers, strategically scattered to ensure that no one would be able to enter the office quietly. Petrol goes through his daily morning ritual of cleaning up this mess before the judge returns to the office, collecting all the scraps in a bag and stashing it back into his corner of the closet.

Before heading out, Petrol would check the office memos to remind himself if there were any errands that needed to be run.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Big Hat Normin quietly meditates under the vast shade of his own headwear. To most he is completely hidden under the oversized attire and appears to be just a hat against a wall, but most folks in the city know by now that is is adorned to a gnome.

Nobody knows where the big hat gnome came from, all they know is his reputation for aloofness and a drinking habit stemming from a crippling depression. He patiently waits from across the community board until any notice is placed for a job which he can do to fill his stomach for the evening.

Eventually, somebody attaches a flyer to the bulletin board. Brought to wake by the event, the gnome walks over using his staff as an aid to see what opportunity had presented itself. Arcane firefighting? Interesting. Perhaps this could be an incentive to temper the most basic studies he so clings loosely, or a flimsy excuse to finally let himself unceremoniously get killed somewhere and left to be forgotten. Heaving a short chuckle, Normin starts making his way to the designated tavern for business.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

Rasvim woke up to the sound of hustle and bustle outside. The windowless room was pitch black, which while quite fitting for a kobold, made it a bit difficult to discern the time of day. He gathered his things in his pack, and pried off the loose floorboard which served as his entrance and exit. On his way out, his eye was caught by a couple of interesting items which he hadn't seen before. He pocketed them and continued on his way.

(I'll leave it up to Mr. DM to decide on the trinkets, since I'm lazy/on mobile :p)

Today was the meeting of the Guild of Arcane Firefighters at the Unlucky Thrush Tavern. Rasvim thought it a little odd that there would be a need for firefighters in the unburning, but he wasn't going to pass up an opportunity to make a little bit of (legal, even) cash. He lost this train of thought as he emerged into the blinding sunlight, and then headed straight for the Marketday district. Breakfast would have to wait.
Last edited by Taco Bot on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sent from my iPhone
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Evangeline wakes up to the morning sun in her eyes and the scent of bread being toasted. Hopefully it's Contessa making breakfast; she's usually the functional one in the morning. Perhaps the guy she brought home already got her up. She stands uneasily, stretching out. Her room was tiny; being only large enough for a bed, a little walking space, and a spot in front of her bed to place some things. Contessa's room on the other side is identical. Walking out to the living area, she eyes up Contessa. Still dressed in her blue dancers veils, somewhat disheveled brown hair, and the remnants of stage makeup and glitter. No sight of her man of the night, perhaps he's still in bed. She looks over to see Evangeline, and smiles.

"Mornin' Angie." She says. "Breakfast?"

"Where's the fella you brought home?" Evangeline asks her.

"Left this morning, 'fore you were up." Contessa chirps.

"Oh, very good. I already gleaned his pockets, he had shite all." She curses. Contessa laughs. Evangeline walks over and grabs some of the bread she had toasted, and then walks over to sit in the living room, and re-read the flier that she took. Good opportunity to make some cash in a more honest fashion, rather than go on another dumpster dive for more knick knacks to peddle. Speaking of money...

"Tessa, you got rent money yet?" She asks.

"Oh sorry, I don't have any right now. I'll pay you back, I promise!" She says sheepishly. "I have a gig coming up soon, really!"

Right. Second month in a row now. Her life as a dancer is starting to catch up to her, she's squandering her money away on liquor and luxuries the moment she comes in contact with any cash. Gonna have to nip that in the butt soon, cause she can't get rid of Contessa, but at the same time doesn't want to be the one to pull double duty. She already dumpster dives, preforms, and seduces, not to mention loots Contessa's bed-mates.

"Could you come put my hair up? I'm gonna head out soon." Evangeline says. In a few moments, Tessa walks over and begins to put her hair up in to a large braid. She might not be the brightest, or smart with her money, but she's good company and a fine friend.

"I take it you're going to that meeting at the Unlucky Thrush?" Tessa says. Evangeline nods, finishing the last of her toast. "I've never heard of Arcane Fire-Fighting, but I'm sure you'll be good at it!"

Evangeline laughs. Optimistic as usual. Strange that fire fighters are needed in the Unburning, but money is money, and being on her last leg and unsure of Contessa's provisions, she won't question it. With her hair into a braid around her head, she puts on her clothes, gathers her things, bids Contessa farewell, and heads out to the Unlucky Thrush Tavern.
Last edited by Master K on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Kailyn

Kailyn detours to the near edge of the poor quarter. There are not a lot of people out and about this early, just some Guild of Cooks porters rumbling their carts up Sausage Row.

Kailyn spots 3 figures lounging on some steps beside the road. Day laborers? Two of them are human men. The younger wears an eyepatch, the other has a balding head. The third is a big orc woman wearing a green checked sports jersy

Cece

The quickest and safest route from the Smokefields to Marketday (at this hour of day anyway) is to cut right through the Poor Quarter via Sausage Row.

On the side of the road she spots an orc woman in a Rumbleback uniform chatting up two humans. There is also a posh Teifling walking her way on the same side of the street. That is a lot of people all in one place for this early in the morning. Should she cross the street? Duck into an alley?

Petrol

Nothing on the memo board is addressed to Petrol, most of the notes are for Judge Sig's clerks. Looks like his caseload is light, and he is trying to get the clerks to catch up on the extra filing that they have fallen behind on.

Not finding any communications here is unsurprising. Most of Judge Sig's instructions to Petrol are verbal, and they only come sporadically.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Caldon arrives in a timely fashion at the Unlucky Thrush. In his younger, wilder years, he had been there a few times; while it's not in the best part of town, it's certainly not in the worst, and it had been amusing to mingle among that sort of crowd.

Today is much less amusing.

Caldon waits across the street as he watches the others file in. Due to the time of day and the sort of equipment the profession requires, Caldon is easily able to spot his future co-workers. His apprehension turns to dread and then horror as he discovers what awaits him. Instead of joining them in the tavern, he takes the first carriage to the office of the High-Mayor and gets into a shouting match with the secretary.

"Do you know whom you're hiring? Criminals! Thieves! One of them is a tiefling -- everyone knows it's demons who are responsible for this in the first place!"

It takes well over an hour -- well, specifically, it takes until the High-Mayor leaves his office for a pee, Caldon fills his ear, and the High-Mayor gives him a ten-second explanation -- for Caldon to calm down. He returns to the Unlucky Thrush on foot, still fuming. By the time he arrives, the group is probably ready to set out.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Normin

Ms Zest, tavernkeeper of the Unlucky Thrush Tavern, gently prods enormous hat slumped on one of her bar stools.

"Oh, yes! You still here? The meeting is today! The one you said you was waiting for."

She normally would not have allowed a patron to sleep on a bar stool all night long, but Ms Zest is a woman who knows when to make exceptions, and the fellow under the big hat had the smell of a good customer on him, so she had allowed him to stay when he arrived a day and a half early.

Rasvim

The constant removal and replacement of Rasvims' favorite floorboard had over time loosened the adjoining floorboards, and this time the board next to it popped up too. wedged deep under it were two curious trinkets.

The first is a small smooth oval something. It has an indentation on either side, like a giant squashed a metal egg between his thumb and forefinger. It is garishly painted with a jolly scene of high elves burning in dragon's fire. It fits easily in Rasvim's palm, and seems heavy.

The second is a small burlap bag filled with small gears of different sizes. They are pretty. It isn't clear if they all came from the same clockwork machine or not.

Rasvim hurries to the Unlucky Thrush without incident.

Evangeline

The Unlucky Thrush tavern turns out to be very close to Evangeline's apartment. There is no line out the door, which is a relief, but she is apparently not the first to arrive.

She also notices a brawny nobleman standing across the street, staring angrily at the door, but he leaves in an apparent huff.

Caldon

"Caldon, dear, calm yourself" says High Mayor Lucinda Malor, while drying off her hands with a tea-towel. "The Guild of Arcane Firefighters is just a harmless experiment. Lady Kari is a professional, and frankly, if you want to job take it, and if you don't want the job then go do something else."

As Caldon is leaving she adds "And if you need to speak with me again, make an appointment instead of barging in, please."

She then whispers something to her assistant. Caldon might find it slightly harder to get an audience with the Mayor next time he wishes one

Caldon will arrive later, after the others.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Quiet today. Seems as though she isn't the first to get here. She has a feeling that a rather motley crew would be assembling soon.

Socializing isn't viable yet until a bigger, better crowd assembles. For now, she takes out her violin and casually plays as she waits for more people to arrive.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

With no other priorities for the morning, Petrol gathers his inventory and heads on over to the Unlucky Thrush.