CAMPAIGN: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Sharn

The teens squeal and shout when doused with water, but they get out of her way, and seem quick on the uptake understanding what Sharn is doing.

The falling water douses the flames on the east edge of the burning building's roof with great hissing and steam and black soot-filled splashes.

"She's putting out the fire!" exclaims one!

"Whoa, lady, are you a wizard?"

"Don't be stupid, Only guys with beards can be wizards!"

"No, you're stupid, my Aunt is a wizard! She doesn't have a beard!"

"Can we help?" says the only one of the teens who can manage a respectful tone of voice.

Arcadia, Caldon, Evangeline, Ebald, Petrol

The frail Executioner gives Arcadia a glance, and approaches Caldon.

"My name is Seargent Pluton Gogol, of the Guild of Executioners. It appears you have already evacuated the building. Good. Who are you, and are you acting in any official capacity?"

Most of the crowd of buystanders has their attention drawn away towards the screams of the red-bearded dwelf and the green-skinned man.

"I own this building! How dare you handle me in this way! Put me down, I'll have your mask for this!" shouts the dwelf, who is being carried off the ground in a painful-looking double arm-lock by the huge goliath executioner.

"My BAAAABIES! They are BUUURNING! You MUUUURDERED them!" sob-screams the green-skinned man writing and contorting his body. The Elven and Avian executioners together are having difficulty restraining him, and they seem distressed by both the screams and the way he is repeatedly kicking them with the point of his peg-leg.

The burly dwarven executioner emerges from the building mumbling "Clear!" before moving to help the others restrain the screaming man.

The small Executioner with the scroll in his hand approaches the firefighters, taking up a position next to the frail one who is speaking to Caldon.

Cece
skill checks wrote:persuasion roll to see if she believes you:
d20+CHA+prof = 3+3+0 = 6 = Fail
For just an instant the old goblin's face falls, but then she grins. "That's a good cover story! I'll bet the masks even fall for that one!"

Glancing back over her shoulder she adds "...but good thinking clearing out. Far too many of them about back there!"

"So what's next, mistress? Rest and regroup? or do you have something else that needs burning now?"

Normin

"Instructor Vulgate! One of them is here!" calls one of the students through the door.

"We saw you were busy" says the other to Normin. This one is holding a spyglass which he was apparently using to watch the progress of the fire.

Just inside the door Normin is greeted by the sight of all stately goat-taur in university robes. Her four hooves peek out from under the hem, and her tail protrudes from a special opening in the back. Her hands and arms are in the middle of a somatic gesture, and she is whispering an incantation. Her eyes meet Normin, and she smiles, but she doesn't break concentration. Several other students are in the room.

Whatever spell she is casting seems almost complete, and there are glowing runes sliding outward in a circle on the floor around her.

Kailyn

The front gate of the sandstone castle is indeed wide open. Above the door is a sign like you might see in front of a store or tavern, but it bears the Axe-Over-Crown insignia of the Guild of Executioners. There is a row of cheerful yellow-and-red tulips growing in twin planter-boxes on either side of the gate.

Inside the entry foyer is a waiting room. There are some rows of chairs and a zig-zag velvet rope leading up to a very wide desk. Nobody is standing in the queue, and only two people are sitting in the chairs. One of them is knitting and the other is napping.

At the desk sits a mole-faced old man with tiny eyes and enormous hands with six fingers on each. He has a ledgerbook in front of him, and a pile of paperwork to his side.

He is wearing the white coat of an executioner, but his wooden mask is pushed up like a visor on top of his head, making his pointy little face clearly visible. He is wearing large thick glasses that couldn't possibly fit under his mask.

he is writing studiously and doesn't notice Kailyn come in.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

"Just step back and let me focus," replies Sharn. "And please don't fall off the roof or something."
Sharn was torn. On the one hand, sharing some lazyleaf with teenagers sounded like a great time. On the other hand, that polite one seemed like the blabbering sort and getting in some sort of stupid trouble would likely ruin this new gig. "Kill them!" said the voice in Sharn's head. She could likely drive these people off the roof and proceed with her plan with ease, but there was something about their awestruck praise and wonder that Sharn couldn't help but want to keep around. "They hate you," said the voice. She could always walk back to the fire brigade guild hall after this fire was out and spark up the lazy leaf there. It wasn't far enough away for it to be a big deal. "I'll just head off alone later to smoke," replied Sharn outloud to the voice in her head.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kailyn strides up to the man, regal and gaudy as you please, and announces himself:

"Greetings, my good man! I am the Count Kailyn Kandel, fellow servant to the city and representative of the newly formed guild of arcane firefighters. Could I perhaps trouble you to guide me to a senior executioner? I have urgent business that concerns our two guilds."
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Evangeline breezes forward.

"Seargent Gogol, I am Evangeline Arrielis. We are the Guild of Arcane Firefighters. The High Mayor has authorized the formation of our guild, under the facilitation of Lady Kari."
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

"Spleet up an' lay low..." Cece says, shoulders slumped, face flat. A thought pops into her head and out of her mouth before she can think twice: "Eef you can find any rival firestarters, go to the Arcane Firefighters offeece an' report eet at once." She doesn't want to think, she wants to be home.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin falls silent, standing firmly upon the crutch of his barren willow and his other hand behind him, as he remains aware of how rude a distraction can be.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

"By her honor the Mayor's command, we are the royal fire brigade," says Caldon.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Sgt Gogol glances back and forth between Caldon and Evangeline.

"Ah. The Mayor. Typical of her."

Glancing over his shoulder to the other executioners he shouts in a hoarse hollow voice, "Shut those two up!"

The goliath shifts the red-bearded dwelf into a different choke-hold that reduces his shouts into wheezes.

The other executioners continue to wrestle the peg-legged man until they have him on the ground with the avian sitting on his chest, which does quiet his screams just a little.

"Well, good work, firefighters." says Gogol, looking at Arcadia now. "I was afraid this situation would be worse than it already is."

"Look, sir!" says the small executioner, pointing to the roof where Sharn is wielding the bucket.

Gogol glances up. "It seems you have the situation under control. How can we assist?"

Sharn

One of the teenagers giggles at Sharn's words.

Another looks up at the plumes of smoke above in apparent confusion.

"What if we lift you up? ... or find you a ladder?" asks the polite teen.

The top floor of the burning building is now mostly extinguished. Some patches of red flame dance in the space between the furthest reaches of Sharn's mage-hand and the perimeter of the now-exhausted sandstorm spell, but most of the top of the charred building is now merely smoldering and steaming, rather than actually burning.

Kailyn

"Hm? Oh!" The moleish man pushes his glasses up, and squints at Kailyn's face.

"What manner of business?" he asks deliberately.

"Are you here to report a crime? Present a statement? Request an investigation? Hire a licensed assassin?"

Cece

"Ooh! Rivals! Good thinking!" exclaims Zargorina, obviously pleased with the idea. "I'll keep a sharp eye."

"If you need to reach me, Mistress, I have a mail box in the annex of the Poly-Pantheonic Temple"

Zargorina nods, and scurries away into the crowd. As she goes, she calls back "Cause Chaos!" as if it is a standard parting cordiality.

Normin

Vulgate finishes the final incantation of her spell. The circle spreads the rest of the way across the floor, splashing with red arcane light into the walls. Glowing sigils remain visible on the wood along all the edges of the front room.

"You must be Big-Hat Normin" she says with a genuine smile. she clicks over on her hooves and offers her hand. "Dean Intensity Brown sent me and my class over to set up some security for you here-- I hope you don't mind that we let ourselves in. The place was only barely locked."

While she talks, the other students in the room are busying themselves with spells of their own. They seem to be testing the doors and windows with various cantrips.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

"Don't touch me," snaps Sharn. She instantly regrets it though and tries to quickly calm her tone. "The fire is almost out. I am almost done here."
Sharn shakes the bucket in an effort to splash water as far as she safely can.
"Smart to stop them, they were likely going to toss you from this building when they lifted you," said the voice. Sharn winced at the thought. This was all becoming too much for her.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kailyn bows once more and says, "I am here both as a representative of the newly formed Guild of Arcane Firefighters, and as a noble in good standing of the Temple District. I would much appreciate it if I could talk to a senior executioner, as I have business that involves both our guilds."

He leans in and smiles, "Of course, I would not mind spending more time with such a suave and distinguished gentleman such as yourself. Perhaps we can talk to the senior executioner together?"

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Cece gives a smile and a friendly wave. Cause chaos? A mailbox at the PolyPantheonic Temple? What 'as Mondieu gotten me een to thees time? She shakes her head and starts back towards the dumpster. The day feels like it's stretched on for months.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Not at all, I am sure most of what would have been unprotected are already on our persons out there somewhere," he reaches out his hand to take hers, "I'm sure some compensation is needed for your troubles, I have but a few gold pieces, but I'm sure something can be worked out between our manager and the school as well."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Sharn

Sharn's mage hand can't get the bucket over the last bits of flame, but the water is still pouring down, saturating the charred wood and leaving the remaining flames no place to spread to.

The teens seem to sense that the threat has passed, and they start to cheer. They were already risking their lives to come up here on the roof and watch the fire up close, and now two of them are leaning out over the edge, trying to joyously catch some of the dripping water from the other building in their hands.

Golgol and the short executioner go help the other executioners secure the two "suspects" with manacles, and then they take over crowd control.

Golgol glances at the Firefighters as if he still has questions to ask, but he does not assert himself any futher at the moment
DM wrote:Y'all don't have to stick around here if you want. Stuff will keep happening here if you stay, but you can consider the "burning building" sub-quest to be completed. Good job! Nobody died!
It was mid afternoon when all this mess started. Now it is early evening. The sun is just touching down on the mountaintops.

Normin

"Oh, no payment needed" Instructor Vulgate politely declines. "None today anyway. My students are doing this for course credit. That circle I just cast there seals off and completes what they set up for me before you got here."

She shows Normin a simple notebook. It looks like what a university student might use for taking notes, except it has a conspicuous glowing magic rune on the front cover. She opens it up and shows him the first page. It reads:

"Guild of Arcane Firefighters"
"Building Security Roster"

And the rest of the page is blank. Vulgate hands Normin an ordinary pencil.

"You can initialize it now. All the names you write here will be able to enter and exit the building freely. After you have done that, I can show you the other features."

Cece

Cece makes her way back to her favorite dumpster in the Smokefields.

As she passes down sausage way through the poor quarter, many people are paying attention to the cloud of smoke. She can overhear gossip

"It's like The Tragic Fire all over again!"

"My uncle died in that."

"Do you think it is spreading?"

"I think so, look at how much more smoke there is now"

"That's steam, not smoke!"

"How can you tell? What's the difference?"

"I heard a hundred people died in that fire today!"

"Who told you that? I heard it was only a dozen"

"One of these days the whole poor quarter is going to burn!"

"That's what they want, the rich bastards, they want to be rid of us"

At the smokefields, few people seem to be paying attention to the goings-on in the poor quarter. This is the hour before evening meals, so the kitchens are cooking full blast. This is typically one of the busiest times of day in the smokefields. The streets and paths are full of Cook's Guild Porters queuing up to rush hot meals across the city to wealthy folk in Old Bakak, Temple Hill, and Granary Hill, and restaurants in Market day. The air smells good.

Kailyn

The man blinks his eyes, and works his jaws slowly, as if he is chewing on Kailyn's proposition, trying to figure out if it is edible.

Finally he gives a little snort, and pulls a flexible tube out from the wall behind him. It has a tin funnel affixed to the end.

"Mr. Von Telematon!" he shouts into the tube. "A Count Kailyn Kandel from the Firefighter's Guild is here to see you."

A warbling voice emerges from the tube. Kailyn can't make it out, but the moleish man says "He will see you now. Up the stairs, third door on the right."
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin begins to scribe his own name, but upon scripting his first name, his mind blanks. What was his legal last name again? More knowledge lost from what was his previous life? His pained expression is hidden under his umbrella of a headwear, but his voice hints at his awkward predicament, "Must it be a full name? Erhm, I do not believe I know the full names of everyone that will be entering and leaving."
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

"Splendid!" Kailyn says while beaming his most brilliant and dashing-est smile. "Thank you, good sir, I'll be off now. Although, if you're interested, and I know I am, we might meet later on for drinks and... well, I'll leave the rest to you."

With that and a wink, Kailyn heads off towards the room he was told to go to. Once there, and provided no one stops him, he'll knock three times, then he'll magically make the door open before striding in. He'll then magic the door closed behind him before announcing himself as "the count Kailyn Kandel of the Guild of Arcane Firefighters".