METACHAT: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

After pondering Kailyn's questions about Teleportation, I have decided to add a few house rules to the higher level teleport spells. I hadn't worried about this previously since I dont think any of you will ever get high-level enough to cast Teleport, but since convincing a high-level mage at the University to cast it for you is totally plausible, I wanted to add some limits

<a href="http://5thsrd.org/spellcasting/spells/t ... eportation Circle</a> House Rule Maximum range is: Caster Level * 10 kilometers

<a href="http://5thsrd.org/spellcasting/spells/t ... eleport</a> House Rule Any target further than Maximum range: Caster Level * 10 kilometers can't be any more accurate than "Seen casually" (1/3 chance of mishap)

The upshot of these rules is that city-to-city teleportation is not practical for anyone but epic-level mages.

(With the standard rules, any shipping company able to invest enough to keep a 9th level Wizard on staff could efficiently import/export valuables anywhere in the multiverse!)

Any other teleportation-related spells will have similar max-range limits in this game.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

I've finally got my laptop back.

Now bears the question...

What did I miss?
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Master K wrote:I've finally got my laptop back.

What did I miss?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqDGK_UjfFI
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Master K wrote:I've finally got my laptop back.

What did I miss?
Yay! Recap time!

You are in front of a burning 5-story apartment building about 1 block north-east of headquarters.

Evangeline arrived on the scene along with most of the rest of the party-- Everyone except Cece and Kailyn.

At first the flames were just in the upper left (west) part of the roof. The residents were panicking and running around.

You watched as Caldon, Ebald, and Petrol rushed in the front door.

You watched as Sharn and Normin went around to a side entrance on the left (west). Sharn had the magic bucket.

You and Arcadia remained outside and calmed the crowd. They are less disorderly now, and most are staying across the street.

Two young halflings helped you fill the remaining spare buckets with water from a nearby building (I lost track of precisely how many spare buckets are left, but let's just say you and Arcadia have at least 4 full buckets available)

An officer of the Guild of Executioners approached, and was talking into his hand.

The person who had been standing looking out of a third story window suddenly toppled out, on fire. From the way they hit the street, you could tell they were a mannequin.

You briefly caught sight of Cece in that same window, but she disappeared again, and burning garbage started flying out the window.

The Executioner called for backup, and ran towards the front entrance, but just before he got to the door, out burst a big red-bearded Dwelf man shouting about "he's getting away!"

The Dwelf ran around the left (west) side of the building, and the Executioner followed him.

Shortly after that, something exploded on the top floor with a loud noise and a bright flash, and it shook the whole building. Now the whole roof and much of the top floor seems to be ablaze.

A few moments after that, you saw Caldon come out the front door carrying a heavyset Tiefling woman who seems to be wounded and unconscious, and somewhat singed. He put her down in the street in front of you, and Arcadia revived her with a spell.

Also, someone seems to be pushing a burning mattress out of that same third story window
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Newbie Newtype wrote:... while fleeing to a more safe proximity from the building...
Is Normin fleeing back into the alley where he witnessed the brawl? Or forward to the street where the crowd of evacuated residents are?

He can reach either side of the building in one turn with equal ease.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

He was continuing the direction of where he was going, I didn't want to make it seem like he was suddenly standing still especially after debris crashing on him.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

By my reckoning, the Cloaks of Resist Fire are currently carried by Sharn, Normin, Ebald, and Evangeline.

I see that Cece has one written in her inventory, but I think she just wanted to pick one up if it was available, but all of them had been grabbed by then.

So I am going to say that of the <s> people going up to the 5th floor, only Ebald has a cloak.</s>

EDIT: MasterK made his move after I posted this, so of the 4 people going up 2 have cloaks
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Yes, Cece decided she was tough enough to go without. And even if she hadn't, she would've left it at the firehouse when she left to do her errands. I'll strike that from the record soon as I can.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Whenever I forget exactly who has interacted with an NPC or when, here is how I search for it.

* I use the standard forum <a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/search.php">Search</a>
* I change "Display Results As" from "Topics" to "Posts"

This isn't as good as the single-thread search that doesn't exist, but for unique NPC names it works pretty well.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I found another nice trick for catching up with what a character has been doing. For example, if you have been away for a while, and don't want to read through everything.

First go back through the history and find the last place your character moved. For example, the last time Ebald moved was here:

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=660

Then edit the url to add &highlight=Name to it, so for Ebald you would add &highlight=Ebald

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=Ebald

That marks his name in orange so it becomes very easy to scroll down and spot all the places that he is mentioned, and read just those parts. When you use the links to go to other pages, the &highlight thing is preserved, so you only have to type it in the first time.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

You know it's Benny right?
My character is only at 10 int and has little to no knowledge of the device, but I feel like Normin should get that it's Benny.
The flaw in the system seems to be that whatever the devices does to intruders it would do to random guests too. Or people seeking help for fires. Or perhaps just house cats.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Oh, I thought Benny was one of the students. Should I retcon my post then?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

From Normin's point of view, confusing Benny for a student is an easy mistake to make. He is only a couple years younger than them, and although all the students are wearing wizard-appropriate clothing, they aren't dressed all alike, and there are like 12 of them
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin just suggested Benny leave anyway, so it should work itself out.

Also, Normin had pretty much zero input on how the security worked, if it becomes too much of an issue we can arrange to have it changed, possibly.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

myth-weavers, where most of our character sheets are stored suffered a catastrophic database failure yesterday, compounded by a catastrophic backup failure.

Fortunately for us, our game is moving so slowly, that I don't think any of us lost very much.

I checked and all of our character sheets for this game are intact, but you all should double-check your inventories, in case any recent additions have been lost.