Hamsterbot - The OHR's friendly twitter feed

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Hamsterbot - The OHR's friendly twitter feed

Post by Spoonweaver »

Hello!
I'm sure I mentioned this somewhere else on Slimesalad before, but anyways, I set up a twitter bot to gather and post everything it could find regarding the O.H.R.rpg.C.E. a while back.
I've checked in on it every so often and some of the things it finds are pretty interesting.
I figured I'd share some here.

https://twitter.com/OHRRPGCEbot
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidGaming/ ... ollection/

Not only does Void pyramid make this guy's list, it's the first entry on it.
"Half RPG, half quest, Egyptian-themed pixelated graphics, no permadeath, easy grind. Around 10 hours playtime. It was released 2 months ago, and currently has 500 downloads."
I think Void pyramid could use more marketing.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-11050

I guess the OHR works in this ReactOS project.
Seems ReactOS is an open source version of windows designed around windows 2003.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Spoonweaver wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidGaming/ ... ollection/

Not only does Void pyramid make this guy's list, it's the first entry on it.
"Half RPG, half quest, Egyptian-themed pixelated graphics, no permadeath, easy grind. Around 10 hours playtime. It was released 2 months ago, and currently has 500 downloads."
I think Void pyramid could use more marketing.
Thanks for the heads up about this.

I've actually been steadily trying to promote Void Pyramid, but I'm pretty lousy at it (I don't use social media much). I've been getting involved with Tumblr, but I haven't hopped on Twitter yet.

I've also been sending its name to various gaming sites. It's a grind, but I'm learning a lot. The people that play Void Pyramid seem to like it. I'll keep working.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'll see if I can find ways to promote it, it's seriously a great game. It was just hard enough to keep me on my toes but not so hard it'd alienate more casual players.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Foxley wrote:I'll see if I can find ways to promote it, it's seriously a great game. It was just hard enough to keep me on my toes but not so hard it'd alienate more casual players.
Thanks man! If you post about Void Pyramid somewhere (blog, social media, forum) let me know about it!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hah, it finds crazy stuff, like debug logs on pastebin and computer-generated blog posts that look a lot like they're based on something mentioning the OHR and translated from Portuguese.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Willy Elektrix wrote:I've also been sending its name to various gaming sites. It's a grind, but I'm learning a lot. The people that play Void Pyramid seem to like it. I'll keep working.
I'm still planning to record a playthrough of it. Been busy moving, but I think I'll have something in the next few weeks.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Mogri wrote:I'm still planning to record a playthrough of it. Been busy moving, but I think I'll have something in the next few weeks.
I look forward to it!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Due to this thread, I went ahead and added void pyramid and a few other games as triggers for the bot to look for.
I also broadened the overall search parameters. Hopefully the bot won't get spammed with a bunch of non ohr related stuff
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Bloodlust video and review
found here

George r Powell seems to be doing well
found here

This foreign site
found here
Attachments
s60700253.jpg
s60700253.jpg (54.35 KiB) Viewed 5172 times
s14942835.jpg
s14942835.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 5172 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I see that the twitter bot now posts a tweet for each new review and game posted on SS. I guess you did that intentionally, since it doesn't post other new threads. Wait, has it been doing that for a long time? Is that how it created those screenshot compilations?

But it seems to be posting lots of "no image found" image links.

Waaait a minute... it's linking to posts it's been making in the OHRRPGCE subreddit... I didn't know we had a reddit! I see you created it two years ago. It's 100% posts by the bot though. A heck of a lot more lively than the OHRRPGCE Livejournal. (I'm not on reddit.)
But linking to threads it posts itself, which never get any replies and which are also posted to twitter, is totally useless. Can you turn that off?

Recently it posted a linked to a genuine Void Pyramid (android) thread on Reddit.
Hmm, I see that Willy never posted Linux/SteamOS and Mac versions of Void Pyramid on Steam. (I don't actually know what's required to do so. Can we automate it?)
Last edited by TMC on Thu May 25, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I've actually forgotten the login info for hamsterbot....

I'm sure I could find it if I looked around a bit, but I mean.... I don't think it's really hurting anything.
upon review however, I can see that there has been at least 2 different posts asking questions about the ohr.
So I'm sorry for drowning those out.

Back to interesting things it posted

color me surprised on this one. I always new it was possible for ohr to describe another aspect of a game, but I wouldn't have guess it would be the game's name.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/376480/Ohr/
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Questions? You mean that people directed them at the bot? Or tagged a question #ohrrpgce and hoped someone would answer? I have no idea whether that's something people do on twitter.

'Ohr' is bizarre enough to be an OHR game.