Default directory in Custom stuck on Documents

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Default directory in Custom stuck on Documents

Post by Foxley »

I'm using Callipygous on Linux Mint 17.3 and the Load Existing Game directory keeps going to Documents. Is there a setting file where I can set another directory to default to?

On W7, it seems to default to the folder that Custom is in.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Did you install using the .deb package?

If you installed in any way that puts ohrrpgce-custom in a folder that you do not have write-permissions to, then it should default to your documents instead

However, yes, there is a way to override the default starting directory. Simply put the starting directory on the command-line. For example, if you run

Code: Select all

ohrrpgce-custom ~/ohrgames
then it will always start you off in the ohrgames under your home directory, regardless of where ohrrpgce-custom is installed.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

How about making it default to the current working directory when run from the commandline, just like ohrrpgce-game does? I find Game's behaviour more useful. However changing the default might be bad if it's run from an applications menu.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

TMC wrote:How about making it default to the current working directory when run from the commandline, just like ohrrpgce-game does? I find Game's behaviour more useful. However changing the default might be bad if it's run from an applications menu.
Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to detect whether or not it was run from an applications menu...
rifter
Slime

ohrrpgce-custom still stuck in ~/Documents

Post by rifter »

I'm using Linux as well (lubuntu 16.10)and was looking for how to change the directory where a new game is written. When I specify a directory on the command line like you are saying, it still leaves it stuck in ~/Documents

/usr/games/ohrrpgce-custom /home/rifter/downloads/mygames/ohrrpgce-games/testgame

when the program launches and I choose to create a game, it specifies the directory as ~/Documents and I cannot change it. I can only change the name of the game file
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hmm, that looks like a minor bug: the commandline argument only changes the default directory in the file browser, not the default directory for creating a new game.

But you are in luck; there is a hidden feature to change the directory when typing in a filename. Press up or down so that the directory is selected instead of the filename field. Then press Enter to enter the browser and select the output directory.
(In the next version I've already made this more obvious.)
Bob the Hamster wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to detect whether or not it was run from an applications menu...
It's very easy actually; just add a commandline argument to the .desktop file!