Would this work ? (death spawning)

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

guo
Metal Slime

Would this work ? (death spawning)

Post by guo »

I want to have a slightly alternative levelling system in my game. Basically, you level up as normal but the only stats affected in this way are level-mp and your magic/willpower stats. Levelling of physical attributes (HP, Attack, Defence etc) is done by items and scripting.

One of the features I want to implement is different awards based on how you dealt with an enemy. For example, if you kill an enemy with a physical attack you have a chance to get an item that allows you to increase those attributes, whereas if you kill an enemy using a magical attack you get some standard XP.

Would it work if I used "on death" spawn functions? "On death (non-elemental)" for physical attacks and "On death" for all others (ie those with elemental bits)? Any flaws or problems I'm not thinking of here?

Regards.
vvight.wordpress.com
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That should work fine.

Sounds like a good leveling system
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Thanks Bob. I've been testing it a little, and it seems that even if I kill an enemy with a non-elemental attack I am still getting the standard "on death" spawn reward.
vvight.wordpress.com
splendidland
Red Slime

Post by splendidland »

One thing I've implemented in my own game is different sprites for when enemies die, done with a self inflicting transforming attack that activates on death, and because that involves turning them into a new enemy, it means each possible death animation can have its own rewards, as well as giving them unique captions like "(enemy) was destroyed!".