"Found a copy of Custom which was editing this game"

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

splendidland
Red Slime

"Found a copy of Custom which was editing this game&quo

Post by splendidland »

Heya, I've recently upgraded to the stable release of callipygous, but whenever I try and edit my game "Tender Caves of Death", I get this error message.

Running custom again doesn't do a cleanup or recovery at all, and while I can get around this problem by renaming the .rpg file or changing the file location, neither of these things are preferable for the long term.

I don't recall custom ever actually crashing while I was working either.

Is there anything I can do to fix this error?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oops, that would be a bug. Here's how you can get rid of that message and help me figure out what caused the problem.

-First, make sure no copy of Custom is running.
-Go to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\OHRRPGCE (the AppData folder is hidden, so you would need to turn on the setting to show hidden items in Explorer to see it. Alternatively, apparently you can type %appdata% in the Start menu or search box to go to it). You should see one or more folders in there called something like working.tmp or working0.tmp (there will be many other folders too). Open that folder:
-You should see a file called session_info.txt.tmp. If so, please open it with notepad or other text editor (you may have to first rename it to 'session_info.txt') and copy the contents of it here for me to look at.
-Do you see a file called __danger.tmp?
-What other files are there in that folder? No need to list them all, but if it's just a few files (maybe some audio files?) then you can definitely just delete the whole folder. If you see something like a hundred or more files then it's probably a complete copy of a game, as if Custom crashed or otherwise completely failed to cleanup after itself. But if you haven't actually lost any work in a crash, then you can just delete the whole folder.

If you have multiple working.tmp folders then you will have to examine each of them.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
splendidland
Red Slime

Post by splendidland »

Code: Select all

OHRRPGCE callipygous 20160404
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Users\Samanthuel\Dropbox\Tender Caves of Death\custom.exe
# Custom pid:
# Editing start (load/save) time:
2016 Apr 05 20:17:37
# Game path:
C:\Users\Samanthuel\Dropbox\Tender Caves of Death\tendercavesofdeath.rpg
# Last modified time of game:
2016 Apr 05 10:39:44
Here's the contents of the .txt.tmp file!
"__danger.tmp" is in there, as well as "songdata.bin" and "uicolors.bin", and some songs.

There was only one working0.tmp folder, and deleting it fixed the problem, thank you very much for the help!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Thanks! That confirms that the problem is that it couldn't delete one of the audio files. There's a long-standing problem on Windows that sometimes that an audio file is still opened for playing for some unknown reason when Custom quits (we do attempt to close them properly...), and Windows keeps the file locked and undeletable even after Custom quits. The problem goes away when you reboot the computer (I'm guessing you did so between when the problem happened and when you manually deleted the folder.)

But I can at least work around the problem to prevent that error message from appearing. Any undeletable folders can just be ignored until tehy become deletable.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.