Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow those are some awesome scenes. What's going on here? Who's that by the antique television*?

So you'll be doing episodic releases? What sort of time span would those stretch over?

*The volume slider on the wooden TV with mono speaker we used to use broke a couple years ago. If even a luddite like me no longer uses it, it's antique
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The main game will be totally completed when it's released, but all of the planned side content won't be there. The bigger side stories will take more time, but I don't want to delay the game for them. No idea when that will happen!

Edit: Attached some examples of the game's visual options, will be going into more detail on this later. It's just a fun bonus setting.
Attachments
Standard
Standard
kaijunormal.png (253.91 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Flat
Flat
kaijuflat.png (253.91 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Invert
Invert
kaijuinvert.png (253.91 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Desaturated
Desaturated
kaijudesat.png (253.91 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri May 05, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Super cool! More games need to take advantage of stuff like this.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I totally want to play in Espionage mode. Please post a picture of the Russian town in Espionage mode. I need this. Thanks.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm still working out the contrast levels for these two, some things fade way too far into the background for them to be usable. I think I'm pretty close though.

These won't be available the entire game, they're features you can unlock in the 1970's zone. The idea is that the hero you recruit here can hack into machines, and that includes the actual game system itself, as he screws with your sight and sound.

Here's a YouTube video of me testing the new palette updates in an actual cutscene, not just clowning around: https://youtu.be/G9c15TElAo0
Attachments
Espionage Mode
Espionage Mode
Kaiju-Espionage.png (253.91 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
Red Alert Mode
Red Alert Mode
Kaiju-RedAlert.png (253.91 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat May 06, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

The Wobbler wrote: Here's a YouTube video of me testing the new palette updates in an actual cutscene, not just clowning around: https://youtu.be/G9c15TElAo0
Magnificent. I love Espionage Mode too, I was curious what that would look like.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Can Soda work his art magic and make palettes referencing various other games? Like a Super Mario World inspired look, or even like traditional Gameboy?

These palettes are really great by the way and add a lot of great customization for the player. I know it's not featured on SS, but I think your color blind friendly one was a super great idea and is worth sharing! Love the new green one!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

RedMaverickZero wrote:Can Soda work his art magic and make palettes referencing various other games? Like a Super Mario World inspired look, or even like traditional Gameboy?
I'd like to see that! He knows what he's doing a lot more than I do, I was just winging it for most of these.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Hey here's some new stuff, I keep forgetting to post it here.

Soda drawing some robot art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFLTlCqHGjk

New music from Glock & 8bit: https://glockandmr8bit.bandcamp.com/tra ... -bean-town

And some pictures of the new zone.
Attachments
KaijuBostonPostcard.png
KaijuBostonPostcard.png (334.16 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
RoboticsLab.png
RoboticsLab.png (19.32 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
Apartment Screenshot.png
Apartment Screenshot.png (59.61 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

All of those look incredibly good. Really nice texturing in all the 'Boston' screenshots; is that what you needed more tilesets for? It looks like heaps of tiles were used to make all the paths and walls look natural and unique.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The roads in the final product don't look quite like that, it's a filter effect for the picture that I'd love to achieve but might be a bit too much work for now. The additional layers will be the most helpful in areas with very large tiles such as cars and train cars that eat up a ton of tile space or areas like Russia where we're dedicating multiple layers entirely to a snowfall effect. They've also been very helpful for situations where I want to make large sets of objects appear at once by hiding/unhiding layers, rather than writing an obscene amount of "write map block" scripts.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah, too bad. It would be possible though (with a lot of trouble). What's that filter called?

I keep saying that it would be nice to come up with a system for editing maps without using writemapblock; a way to toggle parts of the map between different states. It's something people want to do pretty often. Hiding whole map layers isn't practical if you've got a number of independent areas to toggle. Copying tiles between map layers isn't great either, as it doubles the number of layers needed. Using a script to copy-paste from a hidden part of the map is another workaround. Looks like it would need to be a whole new feature built into the map editor... too much work right now.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It was a generic grime filter to make that Boston announcement image look more postcard style (and to fit the fact that it is a pretty gross, dirty city.) That look could definitely be achieved by using greater variety on the road tiles, it would just be a lot of work better spent elsewhere. But it would be cool to try adding later!

For maps where I'm hiding layers, I'm keeping it small. Generally stuff in the Hero HQ, where each room is one single screen and each layer is filled with specific flavor tiles. It would definitely get messy using it on larger maps.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hmm, gives me ideas. Automatically filtered variants of each tile could be produced at load-time, without actually needing to manually produce and place a bunch of variant tiles... The only problem is coming up with suitable filters with the right properties.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

This game looks really awesome!
I love the different visual filters! I have an idea to use something like that in a few games of mine, but as well as a visual effect, it would add an overlay to display information in real-time on points of interest, a bit like those reality-augmentation headset thingies.

Will there be any wrestling? Slams, suplexes, throws, that kind of thing?
It would be cool if you could hurl objects and lift heavy obstacles on maps, as well as in combat. LOZ style puzzles and things but Kaiju themed and Wrestling based.
I thought KBB was predominantly wrestling based, at least, in the introduction video it seemed to revolve around luchadore-esque fighting.
(Have you ever played Guacamelee? Really fun silly wrestling adventure game. I really recommend it, and it has 2-player co-op)

I really like the look of the enemy graphics, they look soooooo polished!
It's a shame they're not animated though. The heroes and tilesets are looking BOMB DOPE. I wish I was that talented at spriting. The colouring and shading is sick as hell brah. SodaPiggy is a genius.