Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:Hah, I guess you can only see the top of that giant enemy in the appear and death animations? Sink into/rise from ground, I guess. That should be a pretty cool effect.

In that screenshot of the building with the red roof, what's that thing at the right side of the screen? Looks like maybe a razer-wire fence?
Yeah he dramatically rises from the depths of space, it's coming together pretty well! And yeah that's a razor fence, it's a whole area that's quarantined to keep monsters from getting loose.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

You can tell it's a barb wire fence better in the game I noticed. I too was wondering about the bubbles on the side of the screen shot with the red roofed house.
There's one in the demo and it's clearer that it's barb wire in game. I'm guessing the snow being static in the preview picture and the size of the picture are hurting the readability. Neither of which will be an issue in game.

Overall, nothing but good things to say about the game.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Heh, yes, I also thought it looked like a row of bubbles. But obviously it can't be bubbles.

Incidentally, I hadn't really taken note before that the ground tiles throughout the game, but especially the sand, are pretty fantastic. I can't even count how many different tiles in the tileset those patterns are composed out of. I wish more people would use more than just one repeated tile.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Writing from the heart here.
Attachments
kaiju0138.png
kaiju0138.png (504.33 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'm doing an intervention, calling Trashoholics Anonymous. This can needs help.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

A terribly camp (am I reading this right?!) trashcan?
Well I like the absurd/quirky twist.
Lends something to the whole weird/bizarre atmosphere.
I'm digging the vibes!

But frankly, I'd expect it to have googly eyes and maybe a tongue/teeth hanging out to emphasise its "mouth"
... *sweat* is that too much...? Maybe I watch too many cartoons haha.

Objects portraying faces are more interesting than something lacking a face, especially when it comes to speech. Even the suggestion of a face is powerful.
(example; this simpsons episode features a talking rag as a narrator)

As well as that, an image search for "faces in objects" / "faces in nature" (or a general search for "pareidolia" for information on the subject) returns bountiful resources on this subject if anyone is interested. It's a powerful tool of conveyance that can manipulate the audience. It's like a vehicle for, in this case, perhaps, slapstick.

edit: or maybe it does have a face, and I just can't see it haha
or maybe you were already thinking of something like that anyway

I think you are a great funny writer, but the graphics are too "straight" to be properly effective (forgive me) for e.g. either goofy facial expressions, writing, or tone, or any without the others won't work as well as all together, imho.

It's possible to be unintentionally hilarious, as well as being funny but not drawing laughs, usually due to tonal clashes, or because the colours weren't bright enough to convey the exuberant comedy and the overall impression was off (etc.,)

I didn't mean to sidetrack your thread, but I hope it's helpful to others as game designers, artists, writers, narrators etc., so please don't take it personally.

That said. That trash can is HILARIOUS. I want to dump in its mouth. That's meaningful in this context, and it's not just some garbage string, right?
Attachments
this tree is hilarious. ostensibly because it has a face. LOL
this tree is hilarious. ostensibly because it has a face. LOL
funnytree.jpg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu May 24, 2018 3:43 am, edited 14 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It's not meant to be immediately obvious to the player that this thing's alive. There's a few things like that in this zone.

There is a barrel with a face though: https://youtu.be/4S3Ph1W8cUk
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

If your intention was to make feel incredibly sad, then congratulations, because you succeeded. I literally have so much empathy for this barrel that I want it to become a main character.

On that note, did you invent any Kaiju for the game? Can you talk about them a little?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu May 24, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

All of the Kaiju characters are licensed characters while most of the human NPCs are either original or historical figures. There's a lot of dogs too, but they don't talk.

The Gooble monsters are an original part but they're more force of nature than characters.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu May 24, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I have another question(s) (sorry). You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I know it must be annoying to sift through so much text when you're busy.
I've never been to a KBB performance, so I don't really know that much about the franchise.

Wikipedia says :
"The performances are parodies of both professional wrestling and the tokusatsu kaiju kaiju eiga films of Japan.
These Battels are presented in the style of professional wrestling events, with the costumed performers playing the roles of giant, city-crushing monsters similar to Godzilla and Gamera."

How closely, if at all, will your game follow that kind of thing?
As far as I can make out, your game is a significant departure from the theme, style, setting, delivery etc., of the franchise.

Or maybe you have loads of stuff unrevealed due to being spoillerific?

These are mystical, heroic, monstrous and silly creatures as tall as skyscrapers. There is a mythical element associated with their great size and destructive powers. How is that represented in the game?
Does your game feature the Kaiju fighting at full (e.g. enormous monster) size at all?

I don't know if you've ever watched the original Godzilla movies, but its dominated by feelings of awe and reverence and fear.
It's deeply emotional for a movie about a hueg lizard.
Entire populations run screaming at the sight, sound, footsteps etc., of Kaiju.

In many ways, the appearance of Godzilla mimics that of wrestlers.

Kaiju make a big entrance in movies! The biggest, really, often destroying cities, causing terrifying fear in all observers, and the impending threat of doom on a large scale. It makes sense to combine that with wrestling.
There are various signs of the approach of Kaiju, and the behaviour of Kaiju is observed, hinted at etc., even before they start tearing stuff up.

This mirrors with wrestling, where the introduction of characters is so important, they get their own theme music, a narrator announcing their entrance, backstory and attacks, and it is customary to pose before, during and after fighting. If the stage shakes when they walk, talk and fight, the closer the similarities to Kaiju. Really, they are quite similar!

A lot of Kaiju movies are about suspense, and revealing the monster, as well as investigating its strengths and weaknesses (similar to wrestling)
the properties/behaviour of Kaiju are investigated, mulled over, sought, fled from etc., as they are discovered.

In wrestling, the personal lives, abilities etc., are openly mulled over by the narrator/announcer and the audience.
Characters in wrestling react with fear, trepidation, anger, desires for vengeance and so on, similar to giant monsters (maybe)

What kind of intros do you have for the Kaiju? What kind of lore is in the game regarding the Kaiju? How does the game expand on their backstories, characters, powers, meaning etc., relative to the franchise?

How does your game relate to Kaiju movies, and wrestling culture?
How does your game work in relation to the established conventions of the genres?

I was really excited to see an awesome wrestling game with city-destruction and radioactive powers, but when I play the demo and look at the trailers, it feels, looks and sounds just like a regular old school RPG.
Not that I have anything against that! It's a great genre, and I think the game is really solid in its own right. But I wonder how it will mesh with the canon, or if it will be cohesive with the experiences the audiences have, or expect.
I understand that you can't port the actual KBB experience to a game. I think you did a good job from what I've played.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu May 24, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

As far as I can make out, your game is a significant departure from the theme, style, setting, characterisation, delivery etc., of the franchise.
The game is 100% in tune with KBB's style, themes, humor, and characterization. It's a show where a giant hamburger wrestles a surfing chicken.

The size of the monsters really doesn't matter and is part of the show's kayfabe; they're acknowledged as giant while simultaneously being the exact same size as the normal human referees, shoving them around and causing a ruckus with audience members. The game treats them the same way.
But I wonder how it will mesh with the canon, or if it will be cohesive with the experiences the audiences have, or expect.
The canon is constantly rewritten, undone, redone, and ignored based on what's the most fun for the audience. Keeping the characters and the humor faithful to their show version is important, but neither I nor KBB care a whole lot about canon.

Does your game feature the Kaiju fighting at full (e.g. enormous monster) size at all?
Some are larger than others. A sprite I posted on the previous page is the largest, nothing else will be as big as him.

What kind of intros do you have for the Kaiju? What kind of lore is in the game regarding the Kaiju? How does the game expand on their backstories, characters, powers, meaning etc., relative to the franchise?
There are in-game bios explaining who everyone is and how they became what they are. In the story itself, they're kept very straightforward and understandable for everyone so you don't need to know anything about their backstories, everything that matters unfolds naturally. The expanded stuff is supplemental and will be fun for fans. Everyone's special attacks are moves that directly relate to the character's personality.

As for intros, there's a new version of the opening fight scene from the demo that's got more flashing lights and sound effects. Most of the heroes and villains don't get big intros like that. There's a tonal separation between the "show" part of the game and the "quest" part. There's a Coliseum where you can refight bosses, enemy remixes, etc. that's presented more like the "show" style opening.
These are mystical, heroic, monstrous and silly creatures as tall as skyscrapers. There is a mythical element associated with their great size and destructive powers. How is that represented in the game?

I don't know if you've ever watched the original Godzilla movies, but its dominated by feelings of awe and reverence and fear.
It's deeply emotional for a movie about a hueg lizard.
Entire populations run screaming at the sight, sound, footsteps etc., of Kaiju.
This isn't really the tone of the game or the stage shows at all, even the parts being parodied. The KBB characters are often depicted as inglorious bums getting speeding tickets, ordering pizza, prank calling their enemies. The game is faithful to that. There's an idea behind it all that these guys SHOULD be heroic and mythical, but the reality is that they're not, they're just regular slobs who are sometimes bad at their jobs.
How does your game relate to Kaiju movies, and wrestling culture?
How does your game work in relation to the established conventions of the genres?
All moves, both hero and enemy, are accompanied by commentary by an ever present announcer. He/I is there throughout the game, commenting on the items you find, objects you examine, etc. Everything's hyped up in a bombastic manner even when you're collecting toilet paper. It's a world where everyone can be a wrestler; there's flexing muscle men all over the place but even old grandmas and grandpas tell you about how much they can lift. It's a world where pro wrestler attitudes are the norm rather than something outlandish.

Many of the monster designs are inspired by classic Kaiju film. There are some minor movie references but they're not a focal point.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu May 24, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

To VapourSword and others:

I just want to add that, as a playtester, I find the game quite satisfying as both an RPG and a vehicle for the Kaiju Big Battel series (which I admit I don't know much about outside of this forum, but I kinda get based on its representation in this game). It's every bit as good as the screenshots make it look, and even more so. There are reasons why it isn't perfect, and those reasons seem to be outside of Wobbler's control at this point, but it still shines brightly. In my opinion, this is Wobbler's best game, and he still gets praise for Walthros, C.Kane, and a few other smaller works. It'll be worth waiting for.

Now you're sufficiently overhyped.

I honestly wish we had more games with this level of quality and care put into it. He's spent a lot of time on it, but it's also proof that time spent on a project that works has a solid payoff, and why we should think about our games before we start working on them, to make sure we can finish them, but also to make sure that we do finish them, and to make sure we should finish them.

I've probably overhyped it, but I don't think many would be disappointed by it. It's a good game, and the story it provides will answer most of your questions, even though the Kaiju are more superhero than slob in this game (just barely ;) ). My opinion is based on what I've played, and what I've played isn't yet finished, but what I've played is quite enjoyable and at times impressive.

You'll probably like it.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Snake people have gotten a bum rap lately. Sometimes they're super friendly and helpful! There's a special snake towards the end of the game who gives hints to help you mop up any side stories you missed.
Attachments
DectqgQVAAAY1Zn.jpg large.jpg
DectqgQVAAAY1Zn.jpg large.jpg (32.65 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Side Content
Attachments
HiddenWorld.gif
HiddenWorld.gif (189.21 KiB) Viewed 2155 times