Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

The Wobbler wrote: Sound effects are very much a work in progress right now, I'm going to put more effort into those once the rest of the game's done. A bunch are placeholders for now. Looking forward to Foxley's pack!
It's up on the Games list now! Go nuts.

Also I played about half an hour of KBB:FF so far and am looking forward to more of it. The maptiles and the big sprites are terrific.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Swapping heroes during battle could be pretty cool here, if someone were to implement it. However, I imagine that's going to need the whole game to be rebalanced, and the difficulty levels changed too (since you can't easily swap party on Hard). That's just making excuses, though, for both me and you!

Good to hear that the sounds are just placeholders. I was surprised that you used the default OHR ones.

Oh, and "keyval(key:whatever)>1" is affected by key-repeat, if that matters. There's no command yet to check for a new keypress without keyrepeat.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:Swapping heroes during battle could be pretty cool here, if someone were to implement it. However, I imagine that's going to need the whole game to be rebalanced, and the difficulty levels changed too (since you can't easily swap party on Hard). That's just making excuses, though, for both me and you!
It would be a very fun feature, but I wouldn't implement it in this game. That level of rebalancing would take ages and it's not something I'd be willing to delay the game for.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Any additional thoughts? Has anyone completed the demo yet?

The most common feedback I'm getting (though definitely not from everyone) is that the game's too hard. It's supposed to be a big challenge if you're playing on Hard Mode, but I honestly think Normal is completely fair.

The game relies on players using their special attacks often, in ordinary battles, not hoarding MP for bosses. I think it's kind of tough to get longtime RPG players to unlearn habits from Final Fantasy games where you can just use Attack and win most battles easily, but I'm trying to get the message across more clearly. I've added some NPCs to the Abyss area in the full game that will hopefully help clarify that this is the way to play, because with the right special abilities, many battles here end in 1-2 turns. The main resource management at play here is choosing whether to end battles quickly with strong skills, burning MP but preserving HP.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

You might consider just renaming the difficulty levels. Instead of calling them Easy/Normal/Hard call them Normal/Hard/Nightmare with no other adjustments ;)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Bob the Hamster wrote:You might consider just renaming the difficulty levels. Instead of calling them Easy/Normal/Hard call them Normal/Hard/Nightmare with no other adjustments ;)
Actually just did this, but with goofier names (see picture). I didn't want people seeing the current Easy called Normal and thinking the game is mindlessly simple, but I also don't want people avoiding something called Easy Mode out of pride or whatever.
Attachments
DifficultyLevels.png
DifficultyLevels.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sorry; I did want to play through it and write some more; I know I'm being very tardy. I have way too many distractions.

Honestly, the first time through I just selected Normal because I was lazy and didn't want to read all the difficulty descriptions closely. Renaming them would have forced me to make a more informed choice.
I wasn't sure how much I should have been using special moves, since in most RPGs usually you can't spam them. But these are things you pick up quickly as you play a game. And there's a restore point right there at the beginning, so even dying at the start as you learn the ropes seems like it should be OK? Probably just forms a certain impression.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

A special preview for my dear nerd bros, complete with goofy placeholder graphics:

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Zoinks, this is the greatest boss-bashing minigame! Even the placeholder graphics are nice :)

Oh crap, it's been three weeks since I last promised to do something. Umm...
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

There's all sorts of animals you'll meet throughout the game. Most of them don't have any interest in you, but this crocodile's got plans of his own.

Also, as a Slime Salad Exclusive, here's a shot of one of the game's cameos. C. Kane himself is hanging out at a Night Club, just chilling. I built this graphic using a template from Soda.
Attachments
Animals
Animals
DSoTuf2VwAAKf6S.jpg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
Charles
Charles
CKane.JPG (12.14 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Another Slime Salad Exclusive: We've now got dudes that appear during the warp animation scenes. I took existing hero sprites, inflated them to 80x80 sprites in Photoshop, and then used the Shrink dissolve animation while moving them into the middle.
Attachments
kaiju0113.gif
kaiju0113.gif (2.38 MiB) Viewed 2203 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Haha! Beautiful!

Very nice use of "shrink" :)
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Oh hell yes, fake Mode 7 scaling using sprite dissolve. I'm going to have to steal that idea for the future, it looks great.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Now presenting: DOGS! Yes, it's true, Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy now includes multiple dogs. More than three different dogs will appear! Will they help you track down Dr. Cube? Will they aid you in battle? No and no. They're dogs, come on, just let them chill and do their thing. This isn't their fight. Maybe Cube even likes dogs, I don't know. Does anyone know? Even if he says he totally hates dogs, there's a really good chance that he's lying to keep up the bad guy show. He probably likes dogs. He probably thinks pugs are funny.

They are pretty funny. Good dogs, breathing's kind of worrying sometimes and yeah they can be loud, but that's true for all of us, right? No need to judge them so harshly. They're our friends and they eat the trash we're too lazy to pick up. Big, hairy land Plecostomus. Plecostomuses? We should look to them to guide us in tough, stupid times. Dumb times for all of us right now, right? I think I'm right.

Every now and then you need a minigame break. Thankfully, we took some arcade machines with us on our journey through time and space! This Space Invaders-inspired game can be played in the Hero HQ.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Yay dogs!

I hope there is some kind of collection quest to find ant talk to every dog in the game :)

I have a question: In the space invaders game, Is there a wait(1) in the script that kills the enemy when the bullet hits them? It's hard to tell from the gif, but it seems as if there is just a tiny instant of hesitation