Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It's becoming more common in small-scale indie games but a bunch of bigger names have done it before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_com ... ideo_games

It's often done as an audio commentary but I wouldn't want to do that, for the file size's sake.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Do you plan to release post-release content? If there is interest? I mean for the game itself, but also additional non-game content?

I can imagine an in-game commentary overlaid on the game, like bonus stuff or alternative scenes on a NG+
Last edited by SwordPlay on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I can't afford to add new graphics at this time, so the only game play I'm likely to add is a second, tougher version of the Coliseum that features the end-game bosses that unlocks after you finish the game. I've wanted to add that but haven't had time yet.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Sorry, I know your project is (mostly) over now. It's quite heartening to know that more stuff is going on, though! Especially since I recently acquired it through Steam

I'm not sure what you refer to when you say new graphics?
Do you mean battle stuff? I don't know, but it's possible someone may contribute funds or assets. I don't know anyone crazy enough to do that, haha...
New map stuff, quests, or treasure doesn't require graphics (maybe?). But it's still probably too much work. Caves, portals and doors are cheap in a pinch.
The skeletons deserve their own show/arena! They have my vote for expanded content.
That and the jokers in the void. I'd pay to see THAT show.

I bought the game on steam, and I intend to see it through till the end!
I'm not sure why you hashtagged it with JRPG on twitter, because it's barely similar to that genre. I would call your game a comedy wrestling kaiju adventure. Or something. It has quite a wide appeal due to it's fantastic attitude, so it might appeal to a wide range of audiences, and I think it might cater to artistic types as much as gamers.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks for buying it!

I wanted to include more KBB characters as both NPCs and boss battles but I can't really justify the cost when I'm still in debt from this project, so any new content is going to be minor. I might add some stuff to watch on the TV in HQ since that could just use terrible MS Paint blobs.

The gameplay is 100% JRPG style, I think it's a good tag for telling people what it plays like.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

If the commentary is in-game, it would imply having to replay it to read it? (Does anyone enable commentary the first time they play a game? I can't imagine doing so.) Putting the developer commentary in the game seems like extra work, although I won't complain; it is a neat extra. But creating it as a webpage potentially allows more people to see it and give some exposure, although that doesn't help unless it's an interesting enough tale that many people who haven't played the game would want to read and link it. You already have a review blog, though.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I'd personally rather see a two-hour documentary using cut video from the game with recorded commentary over that. It's much easier and faster to produce, and will likely get more people to care about it than having to replay the whole game twice.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I know from my own speed with making videos that a video version would take me way longer than any other method, and it wouldn't really fit the same goal. If I did a long video I'd want to make a coherent story about the game's creation rather than populate it with little facts and KBB references, and that wouldn't really be the same thing (and would take even longer)

Polling (on Twitter) has overwhelmingly voted for in-game over an external page, so I'll probably go with that. Yeah I assume people will only enable it if they've already played the game, but that's OK, that's true of any DVD commentary or pop up fact track too.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

I'm imagining that the "Developer's Commentary" would show up in a similar fashion to the ghosts of players who didn't make it in the Abyss. Bonus points if the ghost takes the form of the guy wearing a Bob Surlaw kaiju outfit from Gihern, of course.

These days I don't get a lot of free time to play OHR games, but I'm actually really enjoying this one - I've just beaten the first world, and am eager to see what comes next! I'm sort of kicking myself for not making a separate save file so I could see what the different responses for all the NPCs are...
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm really glad you're enjoying it, I'd love to hear your detailed thoughts!
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

My first impression of Kaiju so far is of course about the graphics - they're absolutely wonderful! They're cartoony, and compliment the writing style and action the rest of the game has.

It's hard to actually summarize the overall "style", since I've only JUST gotten to Rome, but if there's a phrase for it, "this is a Wobbler Game" is the one that fits best. The characters are all over-the-top, larger than life personalities. American Beetle is.. not very bright, but I take it he's supposed to be sort of a Mario/Everyman archetype who's able to power on with the power of his positivity. Silver Potato is Sancho Panza - a sidekick for every occasion. Dusto's face is outright DISTURBING.

I can't seem to figure out the elemental weaknesses of monsters. Aside from the mummies - they APPEAR to take more Fire damage than most other attacks, but only sometimes. I'd wager that's the OHR's random damage variance kicking in again - sometimes it's very apparent that an attack is effective, other times not so much. At any rate, most monsters seem to go down in 3-4 rounds. I also can't seem to figure out whether the buff/debuff types of moves "stack".

I see what other people have said about the battles feeling slow - I'm used to quick battles in OHR games, and seeing the damage numbers tick up slowly just feels strange. This isn't a negative criticism at all, I was told repeatedly when releasing a game to a wider audience that combat was "too fast" and needed to be slowed down.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Elemental weaknesses don't matter much in Egypt, they're a bigger part of Rome and some enemies go down in two hits once you figure theirs out. In Egypt, enemies are mostly either strong against physical attacks or strong against magic in general.

All buffs and debuffs stack and you can set up some crazy combos with that (and so can some bosses)
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I loved the demo, especially how fantastic some of the buffs were and how they could stack.

When I upgrade from my 2007 potato to my 2017 potato I'll be sure to return for more adventures of Silver Potato and friends.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks for your review in the Heart thread! If you want to play the full game without having to install Steam (my computer honestly struggles with Steam too) it's also on Itch.io as a direct file download without any additional software - https://super-walrus-games.itch.io/

I also recommend everyone here make an Itch.io page for their games, it's very quick to set up and their interface is nice.
BigsbyBill
Slime

Post by BigsbyBill »

Any plans for a Switch release? Love this game!