Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

BigsbyBill wrote:Any plans for a Switch release? Love this game!
Thank you! I'd love that but there's not really any feasible way to do it, unfortunately.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, unfortunately Nintendo are very picky about which games can be released on Switch. They hinted that would change, but I haven't heard anything since then, already over a year ago.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

If you've played Fighto Fantasy we'd love to hear your thoughts! Here's a VERY EXTENSIVE survey that will devour your time, but we'd really appreciate the feedback.

https://goo.gl/forms/SeAfj0uMfLxZfXqH2
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It's been three years since the public reveal of this game and I'm still amazed it ever got finished. I can't believe I ever expected it to be a one year project.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

You made a damn fine game, glad I had the opportunity to beta test it.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow. Yeah, it ended up being a pretty ambitious game, so a one year goal is amusing.
Wait, how long did you work on the game before revealing it? Was the "public reveal" at PAX (or whichever convention it was, I can't remember... I think you had also revealed it before that point here on SS?)

What are you hoping to get from the survey, areas to improve in updates?
Last edited by TMC on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Foxley wrote:You made a damn fine game, glad I had the opportunity to beta test it.
Thank you for testing it!
TMC wrote:Wow. Yeah, it ended up being a pretty ambitious game, so a one year goal is amusing.
Wait, how long did you work on the game before revealing it? Was the "public reveal" at PAX (or whichever convention it was, I can't remember... I think you had also revealed it before that point here on SS?)

What are you hoping to get from the survey, areas to improve in updates?
There had only been a couple weeks of work on the game before the PAX game play reveal. We had almost nothing ready (none of the demo zone remains in the final game) and weren't planning on revealing it so early, but the convention was too good of an opportunity to skip.

They survey gave me areas I should improve in patches (almost no one found the Ask Dusto stuff, so I can make that clearer) and things I should avoid doing in future games (almost no one liked Russia, so I likely won't be doing a huge open map dungeon like that in my next game.) I was also just curious how many people came to the game as Kaiju fans initially, and it doesn't seem like that many did.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Did you get a lot of responses? How many different sites(?) did you poll?

Good questionnaire by the way.

Russia was fantastically beautiful and sombrely horrifying. but a lot of sprawling paths and with too little markers to distinguish areas, buildings and doors.

There are a lot of buildings, and little guidance as to which are important/necessary, which might put people off if they (have to) resort to trial and error. And trying to remember a locked door on a generic unmemorable building somewhere is tough. I ended up tracking all over the entire map at least 3 times, I think as many as 5 to wrap up side quests. Yup I got lost quite a bit there. But it was still fun cus of the music and snow and battles. It's a very cool concept!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

SwordPlay wrote:Did you get a lot of responses? How many different sites(?) did you poll?

Good questionnaire by the way.

Russia was fantastically beautiful and sombrely horrifying. but a lot of sprawling paths and with too little markers to distinguish areas, buildings and doors.

There are a lot of buildings, and little guidance as to which are important/necessary, which might put people off if they (have to) resort to trial and error. And trying to remember a locked door on a generic unmemorable building somewhere is tough. I ended up tracking all over the entire map at least 3 times, I think as many as 5 to wrap up side quests. Yup I got lost quite a bit there. But it was still fun cus of the music and snow and battles. It's a very cool concept!
13 total responses, I believe most were from Twitter.

I toned down the number of encounters in Russia in one of the more recent patches, I hope that helps with the backtracking a little bit. There isn't much player guidance in the area so it does kind of come down to luck whether players end up in the right places first, making the zone either very quick or very long.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Yo which one of you dudes is Mania Fig? I just read your review and it's huge and great, thank you so much for writing it! http://maniafig.blogspot.com/2019/01/20 ... games.html
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, that review is a sight to behold. Serious dedication to write up such a detailed review (with innumerable screenshots).

(To those wondering about Wobbler's question, right at the bottom the reviewer says they learnt of KBB here on SS, but I've no idea who that is. There are also long reviews of Mr. Triangle's Adventure and Puckamon, and a short one of Void Pyramid.)

Here's the actual link to it:
https://maniafig.blogspot.com/2019/01/k ... ntasy.html
Last edited by TMC on Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Whoops, thanks for sharing the correct link!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

If anyone's interested in a physical edition, they're on sale for $8 USD + shipping - ebay.us/igoN6W

Shipping to the US and Canada is no issue, I can look into costs for other international shipping if there's interest. PM me to discuss that.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Getting the first key in Russia was pretty tough for me.

I explored the whole outside starting with the south and working north

I found everything in the unlocked houses, met SPT Boulder, and saw the shadowy scout a few times.

The survivor base was the last house I checked.

I found the hidden door easily, and met the survivors inside, and they opened the front gate for me.

I remembered the machine parts, so I went South and got them

I went back to the survivor house, but they still needed more stuff.

I kept searching outside a long time, thinking I had missed a door.

I saw the scout one more time when I explored behind the big house in the Northeast. This made me think the scout was unrelated to the survivors

Still no first key!

Frustrated, I consulted Maniafig's giant review/walkthrough. There I learned that someone would give me the first key inside the survivor base.

I went back in, and talked to everyone yet again. Still no key.

Then I finally thought of re-exploring the back rooms.

I found the scout by the secret back entrance, and she gave me the blue key. Yay!

I hope this post is helpful for anyone else who gets stuck at that point in the game.

In spite of that minor frustration, I am very much enjoying this game! It is full of personality, the exploration is rewarding, and the art and music are both fantastic
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm glad you're playing, looking forward to hearing more about your playthrough!

The figure in the northeast is a completely different character, it's someone who appears in every area of the game and factors into the final zone. I hadn't thought of it but they are probably too close in color to the scout's design.

Russia definitely needed more guidance, the layout of the area is probably the most common issue I've seen players have.

I should probably change some text to make it a bit clearer, but after the first post-battle cutscene in the survivor house the scientists suggests checking in with the scout by the rear entrance.