Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

A couple weeks ago Kaiju was ranked #63 overall on Amazon in paid RPGs for the week, right behind Chrono Trigger at 62, with a total of 2 copies sold. So it might just be that absolutely no one buys paid apps on the Amazon app store.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

But as you said, download stats vary wildly between different storefronts. Mac and Linux users are apparently roughly 10-20x more common on itch.io than on steam. Only 3% of steam users use a Mac; and less than 1% are on Linux.

https://twitter.com/moonscript/status/9 ... 7856049152

Really surprised about Walthros!
Last edited by TMC on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:But as you said, download stats vary wildly between different storefronts. Mac and Linux users are apparently roughly 10-20x more common on itch.io than on steam. Only 3% of steam users use a Mac; and less than 1% are on Linux.

https://twitter.com/moonscript/status/9 ... 7856049152

Really surprised about Walthros!
That's good to know for Itch.io! I'll have to update it when I've got time. Direct downloads from my site have been about 1% Mac, way less than 1% Linux, for the games that are currently up there. Somehow the Surlaw Armageddon demo still gets downloads.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

Not surprised at the Amazon app store thing. A lot of people that are able to just immediately install the actual Google Play store instead. Everything I have stats for, the Amazon store versions are rounding errors.

But it's pretty easy to deploy to it, so it's not like it hurts to be there.
Last edited by FyreWulff on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Yeah it's nice and quick to set up a game on Amazon so it's worth doing even if the numbers are low.

Of all the store fronts I've set up games on itch.io is the fastest and the most painless. Definitely recommend using it! Steam can be a colossal pain at times so it's nice having a simple alternative.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I stumbled yesterday across itch.io's guide to packaging portable linux builds, which is so useful that I wish I'd found it years ago.

(Incidentally, I see I misread that graph I posted from twitter. Linux users are about 20x more common on itch.io, mac users only a few times more common, than on steam)
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Justin Whang has a cool youtube channel and apparently is a fan of KBB
(about 15 seconds in you can see KBB fridge magnets) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOriBBO2GV0

Maybe you could send him a free copy and ask for a shoutout or review or something?
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It's against Steam rules to ask for reviews in exchange for free copies.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Well, if he likes it, he might mention it. Or you could just bring it to his attention. Or something. Anything. Or nothing. W/e
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Swordplay, there's nothing stopping YOU from bringing it to the guy's attention.
Just saying.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

The Wobbler wrote:It's against Steam rules to ask for reviews in exchange for free copies.
Can you send free copies to reviewers/YTers with no strings attached, though?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Mogri wrote: Can you send free copies to reviewers/YTers with no strings attached, though?
There's a built-in system for that (Curator Connect) that I've used to send out about 40 copies, most game review sites seem to have that enabled. Those reviews don't count towards your average score which is intended to summarize the views of normal users who bought the game through Steam (so the one guy who left a review who bought a physical copy isn't counted towards the average either). A lot of things about Steam are not great.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Spoonweaver wrote:Swordplay, there's nothing stopping YOU from bringing it to the guy's attention.
Just saying.
I hardly know the guy, I just watch his videos. There is very little difference between any of us contacting him, except one of us made the game and is also a KBB fan.

I was actually considering messaging him, but I thought maybe a certain store link or other might be preferred, or Wobbles might be able to offer a promotional copy or link or something, none of which I have the power to do, you understand. It's not that I don't want to!

On a side note, from what I've read, the steam reviews tend to be almost universally positive.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

My dudes: I'm considering writing a Developer Commentary for Fighto Fantasy. Which format would you prefer: An in-game feature you can turn on/off where text pops up or an external web series/journal?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

While an external web format seem more accessible, in-game commentary sounds like a really interesting and unique idea.

Are you aware of any games that do something like that already?