Windows <-> Linux nightlies question

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Windows <-> Linux nightlies question

Post by Foxley »

I have Linux Mint on my laptop and Windows 7 on my desktop. I know that you can open a .RPG file made or previously updated with an older nightly or stable release, but you can't do the opposite and open a .RPG file made or previously updated with a nightly release that was released after the current version you're using.

So my question is, if I make sure that both my Windows desktop and Linux laptop have the same date of nightly release, will I be in the clear? Or are there some discrepancies since they're compiled for different operating systems?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yes, as long as you are using the same version on both computers, you will be totally safe. It doesn't matter that they are different operating systems.
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

In the end, it's the same program. Just Recompiled for diferents systems.
Have you ever compiled a program from source? In the end it's the same code.
"I can't buy food with glory"
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well actually, technically, since the Windows, Mac, and Linux nightly builds are all compiled at different times of day, they may be different versions even with the same date. However changes that would prevent going back to a previous version are rare, and there haven't been any such changes in a while. You can always run "ohrrpgce-custom --version" and "custom.exe --version" to double check.