Phlan - Gomie v. 2015

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Phlan - Gomie v. 2015

Post by Gizmog »

Phlan is the most disappointing game of 2015 and it's not even close. A random collab between Feenicks and Spoony, it's got the best graphics Feenicks can muster and well... not a whole hell of a lot else. The plot follows two sci-fi army dudes in a future where robots are this close to enslaving humanity. Our heroes aren't gonna let that happen and off they go!

The first version I played of this game was horrible. There was no save function, so every time you die you get to see the intro again. Plus, if you did what you're told to do in the intro (Go to the dungeon to the northeast.. and there's no mistake 'cause it won't let you go into the other dungeon) then you die, because the enemies there take no damage and deal hundreds of points worth to you. All you could do was wander around, "buy" equipment for free from the mall and talk to the civilians.

It was a beautiful game to do it in, but it got old quick. The version currently on the gamelist is better: The enemies are very easy to beat, you can save after the intro so even if you do somehow die it won' be a big nuisance. The downside is that there's an encounter EVERY THREE STEPS!

Even after I gave up fighting and started using the debug keys it was still insanely tedious. INSANELY TEDIOUS WITH CHEATS! I don't know how anyone could've playtested the game and considered it playable. I was able to wander around the first dungeon tll I found what I needed to get to the second dungeon, but that's where the ride ended. Couldn't find my way back out and some of the doors seemed bugged. At the very least, the door that took me into the dungeon did NOT take me back out.

The music's good, the graphics are great, but the game is terrible. Look at the screenshots, ooh and aah, tell Feenicks he's a genius. Feenicks is supposedly planning to make his own version of the game, to put right what Spoonweaver put wrong and that's the one I'd suggest playing. Boy, partner vs. partner.. bitter feuding.. I wish all Random Collabs ended like this.
Attachments
The robots might be good at killing humans, but they're terrible at coming up with intimidating names.
The robots might be good at killing humans, but they're terrible at coming up with intimidating names.
Phlan0000.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Poooooooorn!
Poooooooorn!
Phlan0001.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Surprising number of typos, Feenicks would never be so careless with is words.
Surprising number of typos, Feenicks would never be so careless with is words.
Phlan0004.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Last edited by Gizmog on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.