FF1 Leveled MP heal/damage

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

FF1 Leveled MP heal/damage

Post by Foxley »

Hey, I was just wondering how attack math targeting the MP stat interacts with the separate FF1 style MP. Does it at all? I was thinking of making it a different type of skill resource with its own variety of restoration items. Is this possible?
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

The last time I checked, there was still no way to restore FF1-style MP in battle (or affect it with items/attacks at all) -- targeting the regular MP stat doesn't do anything to it, at least.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

Can you guys explain to me what is that FF1 Style MP? Never figured that one out.
"I can't buy food with glory"
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The only way to cure level-mp other than an inn is to use plotscripting. It cannot be targeted by attacks.

Level MP was just my clumsy attempt to re-create the MP system used by final fantasy 1, which was dramatically different from the usual MP system used by most other RPGs

FF1's MP system was itself (I think) a clumsy attempt to re-create a levelled spell-slot system like the one used in Dungeons and Dragons

There are a couple wiki articles that explain it:
http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... _spells%3F
http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... ling_up%3F
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Hmm, as humble and perhaps inferior as it is, I'd still like to make use of it.

Also while mulling over its stated limitations, I just came up with a potentially awesome idea: having FF1 style MP be a skill resource that, via plotscript, restores itself slightly after each battle, or every 2-3 battles for the higher level slots. That would make for an interesting resource management system, both during dungeon crawls and during boss fights. I would only use it on 2 or 3 characters, most likely, and it wouldn't replace regular MP.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

FF1's MP system was itself (I think) a clumsy attempt to re-create a levelled spell-slot system like the one used in Dungeons and Dragons
A whole lot of FF1 is pretty heavily D&D-inspired, I've found, so it's pretty likely that's exactly where they got the MP system from.

Most of the monsters, for example -- especially if you look at the Japanese names, they are pretty much all D&D monsters, all the way down to having the color-coded red/white/blue/green dragons breathe fire/ice/lightning/poison gas. They even included a few of the "copyrighted, you-can't-use-this-without-our-permission" ones like beholders (...they actually had to change the sprite for that one in the American version) and mind-flayers.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

To restore FF1 MP slightly, but not fully, would a script such as the following work? (The example is to increase slot "x" FF1 MP by 1)

Code: Select all

set level MP ( me, x, (get level MP (me, x, current stat) )+1 ) 

Do I need the extra parentheses around get level mp?
Last edited by guo on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yes that works. The extra parenthesis around get level mp is not needed
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Thankyou again, James.
vvight.wordpress.com
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

[s]Follow up: Is there a way to restore FF1 MP slightly, but not over the cap for that level?

Cheers.[/s]

Edit: Nevermind! Figured it out:

Code: Select all

plotscript, Level1MPRestore, arg, npcref, begin
	#if your first slot of levelled mp is lower than it's maximum value then add 1 to that spell slot
	if &#40;get level mp &#40;find hero &#40;0&#41;, 0, current stat&#41; < get level mp &#40;find hero &#40;0&#41;, 0, maximum stat&#41; &#41; 
	then&#40;
		set level MP &#40;find hero &#40;0&#41;, 0, get level MP &#40;find hero &#40;0&#41;, 0, current stat&#41; + 1&#41;
		delete npc &#40;npcref&#41;
	&#41;
	else &#40;&#41;
end
This is just for the first "tier" of spells, but it's easy enough to modify.
Last edited by guo on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Awesome. What I have planned is something like restore a point of level MP (which I'll be calling TP, for technique points) after every X battles, where X is the casting tier. For example, level 1 restores 1 point after each battle, level 5 restores 1 point after every 5 battles, etc. Incrementing some global variables after each battle and checking them would do the trick, I think.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Sounds good. I'm going for a more "gamey" platformer style approach to pickups - ie there are health and mana items placed around the maps that you simply run over to restore that particular stat. There are checks such that if you are already at full HP/MP the item is not "picked up". I do, however, like your idea for MP alot.
vvight.wordpress.com