Regarding the nightly version

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

splendidland
Red Slime

Regarding the nightly version

Post by splendidland »

My current large RPG project features a first person battle system, and I understand that the nightly versions contain a new feature that lets you reposition heroes in battle.
I'd like to use this since it would of course let me expand what attack animations I can use, but I am a bit cautious about using the nightly versions because of apparent bugs, I could of course make a backup but I don't really want to be split between using 2 versions of OHR and having to redo work if something goes wrong wih the nightly version.

Really, I'm mostly asking if there are any serious bugs with the current nightly builds, or if it would be mostly safe for me to work on?

Thanks in advance!

-Samanthuel
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I suggest you go ahead with the nightly builds. We are getting very close to the next stable release (callipygous) so the changes between the current nightly and the next stable are going to be pretty small

The remaining bugs are pretty specific things, like mouse cursor enable/disable scripts not working on the gfx_direct backend, or slowdown issues when specific external gamepads are attached.
splendidland
Red Slime

Post by splendidland »

Ah excellent, none of these are issues I'll face so I've moved onto the nightly, really appreciating a lot of the new features so thank you for the reply!

My game is using a lot of icons for item names and menu icons, I noticed there is a new option in fonts to change it from Latin 1 to ASCII, does this just prevent people typing out the icons accidently in the character naming screen if I've have replaced characters like vowel modifiers and Russian?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Brotoad wrote:My game is using a lot of icons for item names and menu icons, I noticed there is a new option in fonts to change it from Latin 1 to ASCII, does this just prevent people typing out the icons accidently in the character naming screen if I've have replaced characters like vowel modifiers and Russian?
Thanks for mentioning that; I've added that just now. Previously, that Latin1/ASCII setting only effected import and export of text from the engine (for example this switches between displaying character 233 in the font as \233 or as é when you export textboxes; either way works when importing. Other examples are .hsi script constants and handling of unicode in script names)