How do you find out,

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

LWFlouisa
Slime

How do you find out,

Post by LWFlouisa »

If you don't know why your script doesn't compile?

My assumption was that you can't do anything in the engine unless you use the plotscripting.

I tried importing PSTUTOR.HSS, but it said the script couldn't compile. But it didn't really tell me why it couldn't compile.

Is this a bug I should report, or is it something I'm doing?

Edit: If it helps, I'm using the linux version on Mint. A lot of games I seem to get: This version of the game has files this version of OHRRPGCE can't support.
Last edited by LWFlouisa on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcade Day -- Complete -- Ruby IF
Cagaea -- Plotted -- OHRRPGCE
Mr. Clocktime -- In development -- OHRRPGCE
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Could you post the error message you're getting? Even if it's vague, letting us know what it is could help.
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: How do you find out,

Post by sheamkennedy »

LWFlouisa wrote:My assumption was that you can't do anything in the engine unless you use the plotscripting.
Well you can make a pretty awesome basic RPG without plotscripting. If you want to carry out anything beyond the engine's normal capabilities you then use plotscripting. Typically this would be used to make an opening scene, title screen with cursor control, animations, cutscenes where characters talk and move around, etc...

And as Phoenix said please give more info on your problem or post a screen shot or something.
Last edited by sheamkennedy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Post the error message (or a screenshot of it) here on the forum.

If you can't see any error message, the post the contents of c_debug_archive.txt (located in the same folder as your rpg file

That error message about unsupported version means that you have installed an old version (probably the stable beelzebufo release from 2013) and you are trying to play more recent games made with nightly wip releases
LWFlouisa
Slime

Post by LWFlouisa »

Cool I'll see about writing a new script and screenshoting it.

Oh OK cool. I stand corrected. I'll see about the other features.

Edit: These the are error logs from today in c_debug_archive.txt

Code: Select all

\....----~~~~````\
OHRRPGCE beelzebufo 20130410.5770 gfx_sdl+fb/music_sdl FreeBASIC 0.24.0 (08-19-2012) -g -exx Linux
Runtime info: gfx_sdl "SDL 1.2.15 (0 joysticks) Driver:x11"  music_sdl, SDL 1.2.15, SDL_Mixer 1.2.12  
Editing game /home/sarah/Desktop/ohrrpgce/pstutor.rpg ( ) 11-16-2015 17:55:46
Full game data upgrade...
rpgfix:Bumping RPG format version number from 17 to 19
general.reld not present, creating
rpgfix:attack.bin record size = 560
rpgfix:ohrrpgce.map record size = 404
rpgfix:menus.bin record size = 54
rpgfix:ohrrpgce.dt1 record size = 736
rpgfix:ohrrpgce.itm record size = 422
fix_record_count: /home/sarah/.ohrrpgce/working.tmp//menus.bin has no records! (Adjusting record count from 1 -> 1)
music_sdl, SDL_Mixer 1.2.12 (22050Hz)
dowait called without setwait

\....----~~~~````\
OHRRPGCE beelzebufo 20130410.5770 gfx_sdl+fb/music_sdl FreeBASIC 0.24.0 (08-19-2012) -g -exx Linux
Runtime info: gfx_sdl "SDL 1.2.15 (0 joysticks) Driver:x11"  music_sdl, SDL 1.2.15, SDL_Mixer 1.2.12  
Editing game /home/sarah/Desktop/ohrrpgce/pstutor.rpg ( ) 11-16-2015 18:00:31
fix_record_count: /home/sarah/.ohrrpgce/working.tmp//menus.bin has no records! (Adjusting record count from 1 -> 1)
Successfully opened IPC channel /home/sarah/.ohrrpgce/.lump_updates.txt
channel_write: pipe closed.

\....----~~~~````\
Editing game /home/sarah/Desktop/ohrrpgce/pstutor.rpg ( ) 11-16-2015 21:56:29
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (10.41 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Last edited by LWFlouisa on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There aren't any interesting messages in that log.
When you compile a script a second window pops up, an xterm, to run hspeak. Do you see such a window pop up? Does it pop up and then disappear immediately? Since you didn't post any screenshot of it I assume that you're not aware that it should appear. If hspeak is missing then you ought to get a message (in Custom) saying so. So maybe the problem is that starting an xterm and running hspeak isn't working for some reason. Try going into the Import Sound Effects menu and trying to import a .wav or .mp3 file. Doing so also causes an xterm window to be spawned to run oggenc or madplay. Does that work? You can also check that you can actually run the xterm program normally (using the normal program launch menu or a command line), but it's pretty unthinkable that xterm would not work.

The engine didn't even support plotscripting until a couple years after it was first released, so there are plenty of games which don't use it at all (you can get quite far just using tags). But it's very likely you'll want to do things like cutscenes which require it.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LWFlouisa
Slime

Post by LWFlouisa »

Alright cool I'll just go without it for now.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

If compiling a script doesn't work on Mint or for whatever reason, we really do want to know about it and fix it! Are you sure you don't want to have the problem solved? However I notice you wrote in another thread that you're now using Ubuntu. So does compiling work now?
LWFlouisa
Slime

Post by LWFlouisa »

It turns out rather excellently (thanks for the help) that I was using a nightly version. Hopefully installing the newest one linked in the thread will help.^^