A question regarding password recovery

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sorry, we gave you the wrong instructions. The way that FreeBasic is packaged has changed in recent versions. You need to put both of the following directories in your PATH:

Code: Select all

c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC;c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\bin\win32
I just installed the latest FB in a Windwos virtual machine using the Installer and was surprised it doesn't add anything to PATH automatically.

Secondly, I noticed that the OHRRPGCE no longer compiles with the latest version of FB (1.04) because they have added a define for 'bool' (a new built-in type). I'll fix that shortly, but you'll have to wait for the nightly copy of the source code to be re-packaged. 1.03 will probably compile. (By the way, there are some things that don't get reloaded when using Test Game with recent copies of FB; if you care about that you should use an older version like 0.23)

EDIT: Turns out there are quite a lot of errors when trying to compile with FB 1.04, I don't have time to fix it for a couple days. The most recent version of FB which I know to work is 1.00. The most recent version in which Test Game also works 100% is 0.23 IIRC.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Thanks a lot for that! I'll update my PATHS now!

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC;c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\MinGW\bin;c:\Euphoria\bin;c:\python27;c:\python27\Scripts;
I hope that looks right.

I should also add that I'm using the last stable version of the OHR. I tend to wait between versions, as opposed to getting the nightly releases.
"One can never improve enough nor should one stop trying to improve."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No, you have "c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\MinGW\bin;" instead of "c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\bin\win32;c:\MinGW\bin;"

Beelzebufo won't compile with FB 1.0. You will need to use an older version of FB.

And if you use an older version (e.g. 0.23) then you need to check the necessary PATH; it's different in older versions of FB. Both the directories containing fbc.exe and as.exe (under the FreeBASIC directory) need to be in PATH, which are probably ...\FreeBASIC and ...\FreeBASIC\bin. They might be the same directory.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Okay then. Let me go fix my paths AGAIN!

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\bin\win32;c:\MinGW\bin;c:\Euphoria\bin;c:\python27;c:\python27\Scripts;
Is this right?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Depends... you never said which version of FB you're using. Anyway, just try it and find it.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

TMC wrote:Depends... you never said which version of FB you're using. Anyway, just try it and find it.
Oh right! I'm probably using the latest version. Let me check.

Okay, my folder that I had on my desktop for FreeBASIC seems to have disappeared on me... FML... :(

EDIT: It says FreeBasic 0.90.1 MinGW build. Because that's what I downloaded from the wiki.

EDIT #2: I apparently forgot to get another thing. "Euphoria 4.0+"
Last edited by Sparoku on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, it looks like for 0.90.1 you need the main FB directory in the PATH as well, like so:

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC;c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\bin\win32;c:\MinGW\bin;c:\Euphoria\bin;c:\python27;c:\python27\Scripts;
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

I'm honestly surprised the OHRRPGCE still has passwords in any official capacity at this point.

If I was running the whole thing, at this point I'd just make it a basic flag that asks people nicely to not edit the game, but lets you in after like 3 nag screens, and then add a plotscripting command that lets you 'officially' unlock the game for editing as a bonus for completing or something.

nag screens would be something like

"Are you just stuck in the game? Try asking for help before editing it!"

(press)

"Are you SURE you want edit the game? You may spoil or ruin the game for yourself if you didn't make it. Turn back now!"

(press)

"Did you forget to keep an unlocked copy of your game? Remember, you can back up files to disc, USB drives, or online! Don't make the mistake of only having a single copy next time!"

And just add an option to Distribute Game that locks the game as it packages it for distribution.
Last edited by FyreWulff on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I disagree entirely, I think the current password protection scheme is exactly what we need. It's not so secure you can't break it in an emergency, but it's just secure enough that most OHR Games aren't worth the hassle of snoopin through. Idiot proofing.

Look at that guy who went through Fnrrf's stuff earlier this year and released a couple games with it, perfect example. Dude was used to RPG Maker or one of those huggie-hippie places where everyone shares everything, thought he could do whatever. Fnrrf puts on a password and that's enough to keep your average dumbass out.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

Have one of the nag screens mention that using other games' content in your own is copyright infringement then and then makes you wait five minutes for the unlock with that message on the screen.. Someone took Jade's graphics one time and that was with a password because the de-passworder program was handed around the community like free candy. Candy without a password. That was fixed by going "hey. stop using the game's graphics"

Hell, I think it was silly for me to do that thing to Jade that attempted to hide the graphics even if you removed the password. All it did was waste time and cause issues down the road.

As it is though, the concept of a password lock in an open-source editor is misleading at best and an annoyance at worst. If someone wants your graphics, all they have to do is hit Print Screen anyway.
Last edited by FyreWulff on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

If someone wants in your house all they have to do is smash a window or fireaxe the door. We still have locks, to force them to take that extra effort. You could innocently go to the wrong house and open the door, but you're not going to innocently find lockpicks and get in there. To me, the password is more about making someone have to willfully do a bad thing rather than any serious attempt at security. Kind of an honor system. I'd be really annoyed if every time I opened my game I got a "Winners Don't Open Other People's Games" kind of message.

Personally though, I almost never password my stuff, 'cause I don't care about snoops and I get tired of typing the damn thing in. I also generally include my scripts, 'cause I've lost too much stuff over the years. But I respect that some people are super protective of their work and I wouldn't want to see them lose their protection, weak as it might be.

EDIT: That's exactly what I mean. It's easier to tell someone "Hey, quit usin my graphics!" if they had to hit print screen a zillion times or re-compile custom to get in there. That took an actual effort, they had to think about what they were doing and gives you leverage to say "That's wrong!"

This thread is a great example of why you shouldn't password your game, though and the kind of bad things that can happen. Happy Thanksgiving!
Last edited by Gizmog on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

TMC wrote:OK, it looks like for 0.90.1 you need the main FB directory in the PATH as well, like so:

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC;c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\bin\win32;c:\MinGW\bin;c:\Euphoria\bin;c:\python27;c:\python27\Scripts;
Okay. I updated my paths.
FyreWulff wrote:I'm honestly surprised the OHRRPGCE still has passwords in any official capacity at this point.
Gizmog wrote:This thread is a great example of why you shouldn't password your game, though and the kind of bad things that can happen. Happy Thanksgiving!
Dunno why, but these bits of your guy's posts made me happy inside. :)
Happy (late) Thanksgiving to you too.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK. And after you updated your PATH, does FreeBASIC work? I.e., does "python scons.py" in the OHR source directory compile?
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

TMC wrote:OK. And after you updated your PATH, does FreeBASIC work? I.e., does "python scons.py" in the OHR source directory compile?
I still get this...

Installed Python AGAIN, just in case. Got this when I tried to do anything with it.
I feel so lost. :???:
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Huh. So just running "fbc" from the command prompt (in any directory) doesn't work? I can't see why that would be.

But you can also give th path to fbc.exe directly, by running:

python scons.py "fbc=c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\fbc.exe"
There shouldn't be any reason to reinstall python, as scons is working now.