A question regarding password recovery

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I expected that running "python setup.py install" using setup.py from the scons zip file would install it in the normal location for packages for that copy of python.
Could you repeat the installation of scons as above from the zip file (python setup.py install), but this time take a screenshot of or copy paste the output (hint: you have to right-click and select "Mark" to copy, draw a rectangle with the mouse, and then hit Enter). It might print several pages of output; just take a screenshot of the end of it.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Um, okay. I got this:
I opened the CMD window in the folder (Linkmax showed me how), then clicked the file and dragged it in.

I also tried this:

And got this:
"One can never improve enough nor should one stop trying to improve."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It's strange that python 2.7 is missing from the registry, but you should be able to repair that by installing it overtop the existing installation at c:\Python27.

To install scons from the zip file you need to run "setup.py install" (or "python setup.py install). You forgot the "install" argument. But if you reinstall python 2.7 then the scons installer should work.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

TMC wrote:It's strange that python 2.7 is missing from the registry, but you should be able to repair that by installing it overtop the existing installation at c:\Python27.

To install scons from the zip file you need to run "setup.py install" (or "python setup.py install). You forgot the "install" argument. But if you reinstall python 2.7 then the scons installer should work.
I'm gonna uninstall and reinstall Python. Just to make sure I'm doing this right! Even if it is (most likely) unnecessary.
Oh, well... Okay then. :???:

EDIT: I ran the Python repair thing from the installer. It still doesn't work. I'm about ready to quit. :zombie:
Last edited by Sparoku on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well... that's really bizarre.

What doesn't work? The scons installer still doesn't work? Regardless of which of the two python installations you select? (Though if they're both installed in the same place then it shouldn't matter)
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

TMC wrote:Well... that's really bizarre.

What doesn't work? The scons installer still doesn't work? Regardless of which of the two python installations you select? (Though if they're both installed in the same place then it shouldn't matter)
Yeah, it still won't detect the Python folder.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

What about scons-local?

go to http://www.scons.org/download.php and scroll down a bit until you find the scons-local zip file download.

It is supposed to be a standalone copy of scons that you can unzip right into the ohrrpgce folder. Perhaps it will work around the problems you have been having
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Bob the Hamster wrote:What about scons-local?

go to http://www.scons.org/download.php and scroll down a bit until you find the scons-local zip file download.

It is supposed to be a standalone copy of scons that you can unzip right into the ohrrpgce folder. Perhaps it will work around the problems you have been having
Okay, I got it. Now what?

EDIT: I tried to compile custom.bas, but I don't think I did it right.
Last edited by Sparoku on Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

scons-local doesn't include scons.bat, so I think you will have to run it by typing "python scons.py". (Maybe it's possible to run .py files directly from the commandline on Windows?) What happens when you do so? Does scons print a help message? If it does, then it's working, so run "python scons.py custom". If it didn't work then take a screenshot.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

It told me that FreeBASIC wasn't installed.

I feel stupid. Because I thought it was installed.

EDIT: Attempted to install via command window since clicking the fbc.exe file only makes a window popup, then leave. Got this.
Last edited by Sparoku on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Aha! This is progress! :)

It is normal for clicking on fbc.exe to just open a window and close

You will need to add "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBasic\bin\" to your PATH

If you need any help doing that, let me know.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

It's already there.

Code: Select all

c:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC;c:\MinGW\bin;c:\Euphoria\bin;c:\python27;c:\python27\Scripts;
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

You have FreeBASIC there, but not FreeBASIC\bin.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Also, did you install Mingw (aka GCC, or alternatively Msys)? That message that scons printed about Visual Studio missing (which is NOT a requirement) makes me think that it didn't find any C/C++ compiler, including GCC.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Mogri wrote:You have FreeBASIC there, but not FreeBASIC\bin.
Oh, okay! Thanks! Will fix!
TMC wrote:Also, did you install Mingw (aka GCC, or alternatively Msys)? That message that scons printed about Visual Studio missing (which is NOT a requirement) makes me think that it didn't find any C/C++ compiler, including GCC.
Mingw? I think I did. Let me double check!

Yup, it's there! But the launcher wasn't doing anything before until I figured out how to get the stuff to work.

EDIT: Got this message.
Last edited by Sparoku on Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.