Resolution No-Nos

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Resolution No-Nos

Post by kylekrack »

When customizing the resolution of a game, are there any guidelines to what dimensions should be used and which should be avoided? I'm not too familiar with various screen resolutions among PC users, so I don't know if there is a "safe zone" of any kind for a game to not get cut off.

And for what I'm doing right now, will adding 40 pixels to the height of the game cause any issues?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That sounds safe. It is hard to find computers of any operating system that will cut off anything smaller than 1024x768

I think the only issues you are likely to encounter from using unusual resolutions will be related to full-screen mode. If you use a nonstandard screen resolution, I would except one of the following things to happen if you try to put the game into fullscreen mode.

1) It will look a bit squished or stretched
2) It will have a black letterbox on the top and bottom or on the sides
3) It just won't accept fullscreen mode and will stay in windowed mode.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Those all sound like things I can deal with. Thank you!
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I don't really know the answer to that; I wish I did. Are 640x480 or 800x600 a good idea, or are they going to be a problem if the monitor isn't large enough to run at 2x zoom in a window? I've used 480x320 as a compromise for this reason. 320x240 should be a very safe resolution; it's more standard than 320x200.

I haven't really looked into how other resolutions behave in fullscreen on desktops yet. I'm sure there are some problems but that we can fix them.

I expect that using odd resolutions actually works better on Android than on desktops, because the Android port stretches the display to fit the actual screen size. On the other hand on Windows/OSX/Linux the scaling currently has to be an integer amount (1x, 2x, etc). I think you should use a resolution with a 3:4 ratio, like 320x240, to prevent the stretching from changing the aspect ratio... at least on my phone :P
Last edited by TMC on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I'm running on a 1920x1080 OSX monitor. I can test some things with it and let you know what works and what doesn't, if that would help you at all.
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

But are you using OSX? The OSX port runs at 3x zoom in fullscreen because OSX did not like low resolutions like 640x400. So I wonder what happens when you set some custom resolution, whether large or small or non-standard, and then fullscreen.

I actually have a Mac at uni but I haven't tried running the OHR on it.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I am running OSX. At 640x400 it runs at 2x zoom in fullscreen.
Ps. I love my wife