Get tagging

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Get tagging

Post by Mogri »

Gamelist tagging is here. What are you waiting for?

Here's how it works: at the bottom of every game page, you can see a list of tags that have been applied to that game (and by whom, if you hover over the tag). You can add your own tags with the box on the right. Clicking on a tag will bring up a list of all games that use that tag. Tags can be deleted by the person who added them or an admin.

Features coming soon:
  • Authors will be able to delete tags on their own games, regardless of who put them there. This should have been in to start with, but I blanked on it.
  • There will be a tag cloud to show popular tags.
  • Tags will show up on the gamelist so that you can see them at a glance.
I have no specific taxonomy guidelines for you -- use the tags how you see fit -- but passive-aggressive tagging will be punished. Don't add tags solely to express your displeasure with a game.

As always, please report any issues or suggestions in-thread.

Edit: If you are seeing a vertical display, you may need to clear your cache (Ctrl+Shift+R in Firefox/Chrome).
Last edited by Mogri on Tue May 26, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Get tagging? Can we have Dub tagging next?
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

So... does adding tags work at all at the moment? I've attempted to test it out (adding a tag "RPG" to a few games, and "Movie" to Fat Frog: The Movie), but it seems like any tags I (...try to) add never actually appear. The tags section still has the "no tags for this game" message like before.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I was wondering why no one had bothered adding a single tag! Sorry about that -- it's ready to go now.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Deleting things seems to work weird. I added a tag to Transylvania Girls called "18+" which appeared as "18" I guess 'cause + isn't an allowed character. So I deleted it and tried to add "18 plus"... which popped up as "18". Apparently PLUS wasn'tan allowed character. So I deleted it and tried adult content... which ALSO popped up as 18! I hit the add button a few times and without typing anything added... 18 plus, adult content and x-rated.. the other things I'd tried!
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Gizmog wrote:Deleting things seems to work weird. I added a tag to Transylvania Girls called "18+" which appeared as "18" I guess 'cause + isn't an allowed character. So I deleted it and tried to add "18 plus"... which popped up as "18". Apparently PLUS wasn'tan allowed character. So I deleted it and tried adult content... which ALSO popped up as 18! I hit the add button a few times and without typing anything added... 18 plus, adult content and x-rated.. the other things I'd tried!
It was a-z, 0-9, and space before; I've added - and +.

I can't reproduce your funky deleting-things problem, possibly because I made some changes before I tried. If it happens again, can you let me know how you got it to happen?
Mogri
Super Slime

Re: Get tagging

Post by Mogri »

Mogri wrote:Features coming soon:
  • Authors will be able to delete tags on their own games, regardless of who put them there. This should have been in to start with, but I blanked on it.
  • There will be a tag cloud to show popular tags.
  • Tags will show up on the gamelist so that you can see them at a glance.
These are all finished now. The tag cloud can be found on the search page.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks for this, I hope my Spooky Puns tag will help future game friends.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Havent' been able to duplicate the duplicating tags thing, so it's probably fixed. However, I do have to refresh the page after I've added a tag before I can delete it, which has lead some people to believe they're unable to delete things.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Somebody tagged Drydocks as non-ohr. It's definitely an OHR Game and kind of a novel one at that. Can we get a rule about playing things before tagging them?

EDIT: How about a feature that lets us tag users?
Last edited by Gizmog on Sun May 31, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Gizmog wrote:Somebody tagged Drydocks as non-ohr.
It was Spoonweaver (you can hover over the tag to see).

I'd like to think that tag moderation will be a small enough issue that we can just deal with them on a case-by-case basis. I live in dread of the day when I have to come up with hard-and-fast tagging rules.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Fantastic! Now I'm going to be obsessively tagging games for quite a while.

It was remarked that 'contest game' was by far the most common tag. Well I'm considering going through and tagging every complete game I know of, feeding in that spreadsheet for a start.

I didn't realise that by 'search page' you meant the Search page. I was expecting to see the tag cloud on the search results page when clicking on a tag, and it took me quite a while to find. It would be nice it if it was more obviously linked to. Also, it would be nice if the search tag results page said what tag you searched for, or maybe what tags each of the games has.

However I can't delete tags I've added on other people's games even after refreshing the page (I accidentally added 'trading game' to Entrepreneur). Deleting tags I've added on my own games works.

BTW Giz I added '48 hour' to Wilthawiya and Wage Slave because all the other 48 hour games used that.
Last edited by TMC on Sun May 31, 2015 8:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Mogri wrote:
Gizmog wrote:Somebody tagged Drydocks as non-ohr.
It was Spoonweaver (you can hover over the tag to see).

I'd like to think that tag moderation will be a small enough issue that we can just deal with them on a case-by-case basis. I live in dread of the day when I have to come up with hard-and-fast tagging rules.
I'll tag *you* hard-and-fast.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Ghosts is my personal favorite and most useful tag. Please tag more ghost games.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I notice that a viewtopic.php page/link to a game, e.g. http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101 now looks very different to the viewgame.php page, eg. http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=618 for the game. Is there any need for these separate viewtopic pages? Could they just internally redirect to the normal game page? There are hundreds such links all over the forums and the wiki.

So a tag appears in the tag cloud only once it's tagged on at least 2 games?