Get tagging

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

TMC wrote:I've been tagging games with adventure if they're all about chatting to NPCs without RPG elements, since "adventure game" seems to the the best description of these. I've also tagged some stuff as adventure puzzle. This is a mess. Firstly, there are a couple RPGs like Walthros already tagged adventure. My use of 'adventure' is basically ambiguous so I should probably rename it to 'adventure game' so you can tag every RPG ever with 'adventure' if you care to. Secondly I really hate to tag games as adventure games when it's all talk and everything happens on one map.
Yeah no one is going to go looking for adventure puzzle games, they're going to be looking for adventure games if anything. There isn't really an established genre that Walk N Talk games fall into. The closest is honestly Visual Novel, but they don't really fit the expected portrait format of that genre. Likewise Interactive Fiction generally implies something is purely text based (and often falling more into adventure games with puzzles). Character Drama could arguably apply to many games that have stories.

I'd personally say go with "no battles" since it's pretty descriptive about what they are: the RPG format, but without battles. Could eventually get into sticky territory with people tagging sim games and other non-RPG genres as "no battles". There isn't really a right choice, but failing "No Battles" I'd say "Visual Novel" even though it will defy people's expectations slightly.
Last edited by SDHawk on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

"defies expectations" would be a good tag!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oops, I missed those replies to me. I'm going to replace all my "adventure" and maybe "adventure puzzle" tags with something else, but haven't decided yet. I think It doesn't really matter too much if people don't expect an "adventure puzzle" category, because it comes up as a suggestion when tagging and you can find it in the tag cloud. But probably better to tag with both adventure and puzzle.
Mogri wrote:"mouse" was rolled into mouse-only (renamed from "mouse only"). There is a separate "mouse support" tag for games that support but do not require the mouse, but the games tagged "mouse" were both mouse-only.
Was the idea to use "mouse-only" for games that require both mouse and keyboard, such as Shooter Game? I assumed it was for games played only with the mouse, not keyboard. I recommend renaming "mouse-only" to "mouse-based", to create a clear line between mouse-based games and mouse-supporting games. "mouse-only" could be a separate tag which is a subset of mouse-based, but specificity can be bad: games will end up tagged only with "mouse-only" and not with the parent "mouse-based" tag. And mouse-based is technically a subset of mouse-supporting. (Would be cool have have automatic subset relations between tags which affect search results)

Also, at first I tried tagging the game with "mouse", which is a redirected tag, but it gets silently redirected to mouse-only, which has a different meaning. The redirect is invisible, you have to refresh the page to see it.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I could change "mouse-only" to "mouse required" if you think that would make more sense.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well come to think of it, mouse-only (not keyboard) is more interesting because those games are likely to be playable on a smartphone. Which is the whole reason that James was tagging them. So maybe we could rename "mouse supported" instead to indicate the other games with mouse controls.

Hmm, maybe "mouse controls" or just "mouse" as the general tag, "mouse-only" for no keyboard required. Or just rename "mouse-only" to "touchscreen compatible" (assuming it doesn't require mouse movement without clicking) and a single tag for mice would be simplest.

I don't even know whether we should tag games with a general tag when they also have a more specific tag... yes?
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.