One-Month All-Mouse Left-Click OHRRPGCE Game Contest (2015)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'm getting the most infuriating, headache inducing, wtfareyougoddamnedserious slice handle errors from LITERALLY absolutely nowhere trying to implement an NPC/monster. I dunno. I'm going to # out the script with this NPC and just ship it. I need to be up early for work tomorrow, I don't have time for things that are functionally identical to something else in the same script that works PERFECTLY... returning slice handle 0.

Ugh. What a goddamn mess. I'm up past my bedtime trying to get a few things working before the end of the contest, and logic decides to go out for lunch. Whatever, I guess.

EDIT:
Nevermind, just fixed it by trying something that made NO SENSE. Nonsense + nonsense cancel eachother out, I guess.

EDIT2:
Specifically, I renamed two slice lookups from "great hall west" and "goblin" to "supersliming" and "cocksucker". That fixed it. I'm not even goddamn kidding.
Last edited by Foxley on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

It's alright, don't sweat it. My game is not, uh, finished. I've spent too much time working on polish, because I refuse to put out something that's mediocre just to get it finished in time. I prefer quality over quantity and for that reason there is a lot of content missing from my game. The engine is complete, however, for the most part, and for that reason I think it still makes posting it worthwhile.

What I'm saying is, by posting this I'm giving you proof that I am not just trying to put content into an rpg file to pump out another "game." I have found a great love for this game I'm creating and it's something I'm really proud of so far, so I'm not going to do it injustice by half-assing it. So I'm sorry for how short it is and how all of the things that are there you can't finish and places you can't go. I will continue working on this until it's actually done. Done done.

So James and everyone else, thank you for being in this contest, because it made me try something I probably never would otherwise, and I love it. Making a point and click adventure has made me consider making another. On top of that, there is a really nice way to make a working schedule for a game like this, making it really easy to get into the design process and work out a routine. I recommend looking into it.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The Voting thread is here: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... 963#116963

Thank you all!
eaagvark
Slime

Post by eaagvark »

I can't seem to open "Return - A Point and Click Adventure". There's a bunch of stuff in the zip folder, but I don't see an rpg file. What am I missing?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

eaagvark wrote:I can't seem to open "Return - A Point and Click Adventure". There's a bunch of stuff in the zip folder, but I don't see an rpg file. What am I missing?
Inside the zip you will find a folder named "Return - A Point and Click Adventure" Inside that folder you will find return.rpg The other files seem to include a Windows installer for the game, and a Mac OS X app bundle.

Trying to put Windows and Mac files in the same zip is only likely to confuse people more than keeping them as separate downloads.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Sorry about that. I'll fix it right away. I was a bit frantic and a lot deprived.
Ps. I love my wife
eaagvark
Slime

Post by eaagvark »

Excuse my confusion. I think I overlooked the file because my eyes were being silly and expecting it to have the little 'rpg' icon.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I haven't done any actual work on Hollowkeep in weeks. Too much one-thing-after-another BS stress going on, and as of approximately ... today, I'm in full blown "screw it I'm just going to play Skyrim all day" depression. The whole having the game in a releasable state by Halloween thing is pretty much moot, I'm not even going to fool myself into trying to make that happen.

Not even sure I want to keep working on the game anymore either, I feel like I hit a creative dead end on it pretty quickly. That might change in the near-ish future, but when I haven't drawn anything besides a few random item icons or typed any text at all in close to a month, I need to be real with myself.

Good news is I'm making good money at my new job and just bought a brand new bed, so I'm not sleep deprived and in pain all the time.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Sometimes you just need a good day of playing skyrim :)

Keeping motivated on a game can be really hard. Don't beat yourself up about it, it happens to all of us
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

(Return has been the same for me)

But yeah, it's no big deal. Being a solo developer is suuuuper tough.
Ps. I love my wife