Trouble with tags, items, text boxes...

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
Red Slime

Trouble with tags, items, text boxes...

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder »

SOOOOO... I'm trying to make a basic fetch quest in which King tells Hero to kill Boss and recover Item (only the first time, King also gives Hero some $$$). When Hero returns Item to King, King should take Item from Hero, Hero should receive Trophy, and then further attempts to talk to King should yield a different response.

This all works up until Hero receives Trophy and comes back to talk to King. Instead of seeing the new text box, you see the original text box (as if the Item was never recovered). I think this may be because the King takes away the Item, which triggers the tag needed to progress to a further text box, but I'm not sure. I'm already using Instead and After conditionals on the original text box, so I don't know how to get it to accept that I've already returned the Item and received the Trophy and say the new message.

Help?!

SPECIFICS:

Text Box 2 Conditionals:
Instead:
If Tag 2 (ItemRecovered) =ON, jump to text box 6 instead
After:
If Tag 3 (CashReceived) =OFF, jump to text box 5 next

Text Box 5 Conditionals:
Set Tag:
If Tag 3 =OFF, set Tag 3=ON

Text Box 6 Conditionals:
Instead:
If Tag 4 (TrophyReceived) =ON, jump to text box 7 instead
Set Tag:
Tag 2=on
Tag 4=on
Item:
Always do the following, remove one Item
After:
If tag 4=on, always jump to text box 7 next

Text Box 7 Conditionals:
Instead:
If Tag 4 (TrophyReceived) =ON, jump to text box 8 instead
Set Tag:
Tag 2=on
Tag 4=on
Item:
Always do the following - add one Trophy
Last edited by AnalogousGumdropDecoder on Fri May 15, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody Gaisser
Soule X
Red Slime

Post by Soule X »

Have you tried setting a tag with the text box where the king takes the item from you and then setting the text box to go to the next one when that tag is on?
AnalogousGumdropDecoder
Red Slime

For the sake of this discussion ignore Text Boxes #1, #3, and #4, because they are used up for something irrelevant to my problem. We are dealing with Text Boxes #2 and #5-8. Anything above 8 is free.

Here's what is going on:

If you walk up to King and talk to him, he defaults to Text Box #2 under normal circumstances.

The first time you walk up to him, he says Text Box #2, but then continues on with Text Box #5 which gives you money. This uses up the AFTER conditional of Text Box #2. Because AFTER saying Text Box #2, if certain conditions are met (which in practice can only be met one time), it continues to Box #5.

When you defeat the boss, retrieve the item, and return to the King, he says a whole different spiel (Text Boxes #6-7) and gives you a trophy. This uses up the INSTEAD conditional of Text Box #2. If you approach the King with the item, INSTEAD of Box #2, you get Boxes #6-7.

Once you've beaten the quest and received the trophy, you approach the King, but he defaults back to Text Box #2 again, instead of the new Text Box #8 that I would like him to say. And I have no idea how to trigger this, as my AFTER and INSTEAD conditionals are used up.

Workarounds?
Cody Gaisser
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Sounds like you have tag 2 linked to the item being in your inventory. If that's the case, then taking away the item would unset the tag.
AnalogousGumdropDecoder
Red Slime

Yes, that's what I'm seeing too, but I don't know what else to tie the tag to. I want the alternate text triggered by the hero returning to the king with the item, as that is the quest. This seems like pretty basic stuff, it must be possible, but I'm a n00b and the HOWTO doesn't really cover much.
Last edited by AnalogousGumdropDecoder on Fri May 15, 2015 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody Gaisser
AnalogousGumdropDecoder
Red Slime

There has to be a way to:

*Make the King say two blocks of text the first time you talk to him. "Here's your quest! Have some money!"
*Make the King default to the first block of text until the quest is complete. "Here's your quest!"
*Make the King deliver another block when the item is returned. "Thanks, have a trophy!"
*Make the King say something else if you return to him again. "Leave me alone! I'm busy!"

I'm pretty sure I can come up with another way to make it happen, but it seems so basic I'm not sure why I can't get it to work the way I intended.
Last edited by AnalogousGumdropDecoder on Fri May 15, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody Gaisser
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

You need a second tag. One tag indicates whether you have the item (set as the items 'in inventory' tag, the other is set to indicate you had the item. Exactly as Soule X said. You can set it from "Thanks, have a trophy!".
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Tags don't need to be 'tied' to anything. It's probably better to think of them as 'on/off switches' by default, and then 'tying' them to something (like an item) is an extra thing you can do.

If you don't tie them to anything, the easiest way to turn tags on/off is with a plotscript. But if you are new and avoiding those at present, then the next easiest way is with a textbox.

Here's how I would handle your scenario:

Name Tag2 "ItemRecovered"
Name Tag4 "TrophyReceived"

At the moment the item is found, have the textbox that tells this also set to turn on Tag2. DO NOT tie Tag2 to the item. Then when the king gives you the trophy, have that textbox set to turn on Tag4.

So very close to what you're doing, I think.
I am Srime
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Err yes. I was completely wrong to say that you need two tags.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

TMC wrote:Err yes. I was completely wrong to say that you need two tags.
Opps!
AnalogousGumdropDecoder
Red Slime

Ok, I was wondering if something like that may not be the solution.

I still have no idea how to go about accomplishing it though.

Right now if you defeat the boss, he drops the Item and it goes into your inventory.

How would I set it so that this turns the tag on without tying the tag to the item itself?
Cody Gaisser
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Is the boss battle triggered from a text box? You could set the tag there.