% Based Poison/Regen Attacks

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

% Based Poison/Regen Attacks

Post by Meatballsub »

Is this possible? Screwing around with maximum/current % values recently make me believe that it isn't, but I wanted to check to be sure.

In theory, I'd like to make a poison attack that deals 5% of the target's health per tick.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Actually, I think there might be a way to do it.

Make a 2-part chain. The first part has the "% based attacks damage instead of set" bitset turned on, and does damage of 5% of Max HP

The second part of the chain should be "Damage Math: Pure" and "Base ATK Stat: previous attack" and "Target Stat: Poison Register"
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Interesting. Would a similar thing be possible for a regen-based attack based of a percentage of max health?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Certainly!
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

So I've tested it and it seems to work well. But another question has come up with testing it.

Does any poison effect negate the regen effect? Like if I have a 10HP regen on a character and they are poisoned for 10HP, does regen still tick? It didn't seem like it did in my preliminary testing.

Also, any plans to make an icon for when characters are under the effects of regen in the future?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

No, poison and regen can happen simultaneously. You might want to add a chained attack to the end of the poison attack that resets the regen register to max, and a chained attack to the end of the regen attack that resets the poison register to max
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Do you mean icon floating above their head (as opposed to the existing icon next to the HP)?

It's a very highly requested feature
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

I didn't know there was an icon for it already, but I guess that means my regen attacks aren't working right.

I set one up the same way as the poison attack mentioned above, but it doesn't seem to do anything beyond an initial heal. Is there something I should check?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, that's odd... we have settings to set icons for poison, stun, and mute, but not regen. An oversight.

Since Ruin is based on a very old .rpg file, all the status icons will default to blank. You can set them in the Battle Settings menu.

You didn't set your regen attack to heal, did you? It must be set to damage the regen register in the same way as poison. Yes, it doesn't make sense.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Aha! I had the "cure instead of harm bitset on" and I'm guessing that had something to do with it. Now that it is turned off, regen is working like a charm.

Having said that, there is no option for me to set a regen indicator in the battle systems options menu. Take a look at the attachment.
Attachments
Ruin0000.png
Ruin0000.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, I mentioned that. I just went ahead and added it. Ended up rearranging that menu in the process...

Regen, poison, stun and mute are implemented with registers. The initial values are 1000. The amount of regen, etc, is equal to the amount below 1000 that these are damaged. The implications are that you can't have more than 1000 seconds of stun, etc, and that percentage-damage attacks on those registers is a really bad idea. Also, you can heal the registers above 1000 using 'allow cure to exceed maximum', which acts like a buffer against future attacks.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Hey TMC,

Not sure if you saw where a regen indicator is not even an option in my battle settings. Any idea why it wouldn't show up?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Meatballsub wrote:Hey TMC,

Not sure if you saw where a regen indicator is not even an option in my battle settings. Any idea why it wouldn't show up?
You might need to re-download your nightly wip. There may have been a bit of lag time between when TMC implemented the feature, and when the nightly build re-built
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Sorry, didn't realize it was a nightly-only thing until now.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Regen, poison, stun and mute are implemented with registers. The initial values are 1000. The amount of regen, etc, is equal to the amount below 1000 that these are damaged. The implications are that you can't have more than 1000 seconds of stun, etc, and that percentage-damage attacks on those registers is a really bad idea. Also, you can heal the registers above 1000 using 'allow cure to exceed maximum', which acts like a buffer against future attacks.
This is some really useful information that I had never seen anywhere before!

I knew the "base" for poison register, etc. had to be something really high, as making a percent-based poison attack led to huge poison damage (I actually used this in Okédoké for the "Expiration Date" attack which is supposed to kill whoever's affected in just two or three turns no matter what -- and with that game's HP cap set at 255, it does -- but yeah, not recommended for "regular" poison!) but I didn't know the exact value for it.

Also never knew that healing poison/stun/mute registers beyond the maximum would block part (or all) of the next poison/stun/mute attack. That's pretty neat. So it would actually be possible to make an attack that provides temporary "poison resistance" and so on in-battle, then?

Customizable poison/stun/etc. registers might be a kinda neat random minor feature to add at some point. Like if you wanted to make "stackable" poison/stun possible, but didn't want it to get completely out of hand (so as to keep players from abusing it vs. enemies, and to keep enemies who use poison/stun from being too annoying), so you could set the base stun register to something much, much lower than 1000 to make an "endless stun" effect harder to pull off.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites