Newbie gamemaker/coder question

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

yoelleoy
Red Slime

Newbie gamemaker/coder question

Post by yoelleoy »

I am making my first game ever for a technology class and I am making a short game and I had the idea of making each map a kinda randomly generated maze but I am kinda running out of time, so would it be better to make a code to make the maps or just make them manually?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Generating mazes isn't actually that hard. There are lots of way to generate mazes; you can find many webpages about it. Have a look at the thread on Valigarmander's game Downward, which has a maze generator.

However randomly generated mazes are generally a lot worse than hand crafted maps -- the replayability doesn't make up for lack of design -- unless you specifically want your maps to be mazes for some reason. But generating anything more complex than a maze (or alternatively placing things randomy) gets tricky (and very bug prone!) fast. (If you do want to do something more than a maze (I advise that for a future project if you're running out of time), I suggest the Roguebasin articles.)
yoelleoy
Red Slime

Post by yoelleoy »

TMC wrote:Generating mazes isn't actually that hard. There are lots of way to generate mazes; you can find many webpages about it. Have a look at the thread on Valigarmander's game Downward, which has a maze generator.

However randomly generated mazes are generally a lot worse than hand crafted maps -- the replayability doesn't make up for lack of design -- unless you specifically want your maps to be mazes for some reason. But generating anything more complex than a maze (or alternatively placing things randomy) gets tricky (and very bug prone!) fast. (If you do want to do something more than a maze (I advise that for a future project if you're running out of time), I suggest the Roguebasin articles.)
Thanks for the tips :D Since I am running out of time I guess I will design the maps myself but I will look at the links since I think I could use them for a future project. :)