Importing Textboxes

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

dantedynamite
Red Slime

Importing Textboxes

Post by dantedynamite »

So I have a huge block of text in a document that I want to import and make textboxes.

How does this work?

Suppose I wanted to import a lot of text, more than is allowed by one text box, how is this done?

Does the thing imported have to be a certain file type?

I'm not sure if there is some special nuance I'm missing or what.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The best way to proceed would be to export the existing textboxes out of the game from the Edit Textboxes menu, if any, and have a look at the format it uses. It's a plain text file. Then tack the additional textboxes onto the end following the same format. Actually, you can just put the new textboxes in the file, as textbox IDs that aren't present when importing will be left alone. Also, you don't need to export the conditionals, appearance, or choices, but you'll probably want all your new textboxes to have a certain style, and copy-pasting that data will less work than doing it in the editor.

Each textbox can be at most 8 lines, and each line at most 38 characters long. Unfortunately you have to manually split up your text into separate boxes and separate lines. Hmm, I suppose I could make it wrap the text automatically. And it really needs to tell you which textboxes had lines that were too long (they get trimmed).