2014 In Review: Gramfeldcat Goes To The Moon

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

2014 In Review: Gramfeldcat Goes To The Moon

Post by Gizmog »

Was everyone obsessed with Garfield knock-offs last year or something? Jeez! Following (or starting, I don't know) the trend also seen in Orange Monday, Gramfeldcat Goes The Moon is the story of Gramfeld, an orange lasagna loving cat whose name has been changed to protect the innocent. Now he's gone to The Moon. What wonders will await him there?

Unfortunately, it's mostly the same Joke Game megaslime. He advances textboxes to beat a typing-obsessed Seinfeld (Seinfeld... Gramfeld.. wonder if there's any relation), fights Mr. T... and lives!, and some other silly celebrity nonsense. The best part would be when he gets into a Rap Battle with Buddy the Elf that takes place entirely in battle system captions, but the delays weren't set right or something so the whole thing scrolls by super quick. Don't know if that was "the joke" or if I was just unlucky but what I could read seemed like pretty sick rhymes and woulda been nice to enjoy all of 'em.

There is a decent sense of design to the game, as beating each boss will secretly open a previously blocked path allowing you to progress farther. It seems like the author quit halfway through, putting up an "End of demo, pay me money" screen to cover his abrupt exit. You can still wander around afterwards, and a new path has been unlocked but it doesn't actually go anywhere. I wandered around for a few minutes and couldn't find anything else so I quit.

Kind of a waste of time, but it's got just enough content to make you feel like it's gonna go somewhere. The wall maps work, textboxes work. It does the Arfenhouse kind of "deliberately mis-spell stuff" and that doesn't make it any funnier, it actually might hurt a little. The author probably had fun making it and that's the important part. If you wanted to waste ten minutes playing it, I wouldn't stop you.
Attachments
The "randomly mis-spell slime on the menus" gag is really wearing thin
The "randomly mis-spell slime on the menus" gag is really wearing thin
ggttm0004.png (9.32 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
The obligatory Mr. T reference..
The obligatory Mr. T reference..
ggttm0007.png (8.63 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
This "rap-battle" was actually pretty cool, except the captions went by so fast I didn't have a chance to read 'em
This "rap-battle" was actually pretty cool, except the captions went by so fast I didn't have a chance to read 'em
ggttm0012.png (7.11 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
"Always start with the finale" -Mark Twain
"Always start with the finale" -Mark Twain
ggttm0015.png (11.27 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

Wow. Thanks for going easy on this game. I've been having kind of a rough time recently, and it's good to see that you didn't go all kamikaze on me.

Just so you know, the game's incompleteness, mishpelungs, and overall stupidity is due to the fact that I made it for this jam, and I realized too late that I only had one day to do it. (Visiting relatives and all)

I really wished that I could have fixed the rap battle bug, but I honestly had 5 minutes to get it compiled and uploaded.
Sent from my iPhone
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Taco Bot wrote:Wow. Thanks for going easy on this game. I've been having kind of a rough time recently, and it's good to see that you didn't go all kamikaze on me.

Just so you know, the game's incompleteness, mishpelungs, and overall stupidity is due to the fact that I made it for this jam, and I realized too late that I only had one day to do it. (Visiting relatives and all)

I really wished that I could have fixed the rap battle bug, but I honestly had 5 minutes to get it compiled and uploaded.
Ahhh! That explains a lot. And I'd never go kamikaze on a game like this, 'cause it is what it is. Wasn't expecting Chrono Trigger, didn't get Chrono Trigger, not a big deal. And the deadline thing can happen to anyone. Can't wait to see what you can do when you've got the time to do it right.
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

Gizmog wrote:Ahhh! That explains a lot. And I'd never go kamikaze on a game like this, 'cause it is what it is. Wasn't expecting Chrono Trigger, didn't get Chrono Trigger, not a big deal.
Thanks for that. I hate it when people expect something they weren't promised.
And the deadline thing can happen to anyone. Can't wait to see what you can do when you've got the time to do it right.
That's what I'm hoping to do with this week's jam! Wish me luck!
Sent from my iPhone