Heart of the OHR Contest 2014

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I will throw mogri a fiver to sticky this thread. It has about a 0.01% chance of working, cross thy fingers, and roll the die.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Meowskivich wrote:I will throw mogri a fiver to sticky this thread. It has about a 0.01% chance of working, cross thy fingers, and roll the die.
A d10,000? That's some die, heh :v:
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I... I think I just figured out how to sticky this thread. Mogri can let me know if I did it wrong :)

So do we know yet who all is entering games?

It seems like perhaps a lot of people are quietly hard at work on things without posting many screenshots
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Bob the Hamster wrote:...It seems like perhaps a lot of people are quietly hard at work on things without posting many screenshots
I've been working on and off on several projects. All of which, I'd like to enter into the contest. I doubt I'll actually end up entering all five of these games, however I'm not sure which games will ignite that fire under me so I figured I would just promo them all.
So, here's the games.

Troll Over
Being made for the rpgmaker contest. It's going to be short, About an hour long. Hopefully will be done by the end of the month. Even if I don't make the rpgmaker contest deadline, I'd still like to enter it in the HOTohr contest.

Iron Galaxy
The game I'm currently working on with Blasted Earth. We're hoping to have a better release of this ready by the end of the year. I'm not sure how RPG an rpg has to be in order to enter this contest. But I'd like to enter this one too.

Kruntorvas
Described as a table top RPG simulator, Kruntorvas is by far the biggest game I've ever dreamed of making. With more than 50 towns planned, 100 areas, 1000+ encounters, and over 30 characters this game is sure to take me a long long time to complete. I do however hope to have a fairly in depth demo ready by the end of the year. This is the least likely of the games on this list to be complete enough to release by the end of the year.

Kinvesard
One of my two entries from last contest. I had meant to release another version of this game a while ago, but didn't quite get to the point that I wanted to. I had dropped this project, but decided to keep updating it for the Heart of the OHR contest.

Legendary Heroes
This game is my original heart of the OHR game. Even though I would have likely abandoned it long ago, I've decided to update it for every Heart of the OHR contest, much llike kinvesard.
Attachments
Legendary Heroes
Legendary Heroes
Legendary Heroes.png (15.2 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Kinvesard
Kinvesard
Kinvesard.png (14.98 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Kruntorvas
Kruntorvas
kruntorvas.png (9.1 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Iron Galaxy
Iron Galaxy
Iron Galaxy.png (10.82 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Troll Over
Troll Over
TrollOver.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

@spoonweaver: Kinvesard looks like my kind of game! Just that crew of characters looks like the most unlikely group of adventurers. Also is that a mushroom man? I was totally thinking of having mushroom men in my game, or perhaps a race of turnip people....
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Kinvesard is available to play already as it was an entry in last the Hot Ohr. I'm only planning to expand on the limited demo.
Kinvesard

The same goes for [game]Legendary Heroes[/game].
and Iron Galaxy(though iron galaxy was not released for the last Hot Ohr)

And: yes that's a mushroom man.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Yeah, I suppose I'll officially declare that I'm going to be entering Legacy this year. Here's hoping it'll do better than last time around, heh.

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Guys, don't forget to tell James what bugs or features you'd like him to look into for the bounties. If you think you'll have an RPG released before the deadline, tell him the game(s) you'll enter and tell him what you'd like to see implemented or fixed in the engine so that he'll have something to work toward (one bug or feature only). If you need a reminder of how it was done in the past, consult the official HeartBug wikis:

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... /HeartBugs

Note: The 2014 HeartBug wiki is not yet linked to this page, and this page is accessible from the Heart of the OHR 2010 wiki only.

To see the in-progress 2014 HeartBug list, go to this page:

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... tBugs_2014

As of now you'll notice it's empty because none of you are making requests. Start thinking about your entry prizes! :p Thanks.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Is a fix for the DirectX slowdown bug too much to ask for?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Ichiro wrote:Is a fix for the DirectX slowdown bug too much to ask for?
I probably can't help with that one. I don't know anything at all about the gfx_directx backend, and I have never compiled it, and I don't own a Windows computer (I borrow one from work to make the windows nightly builds)

I think I remember the bug you are talking about, something about slowdown that happens after you ALT+TAB away to a different window and then back again?
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Can I make a request for a game to get some major updates to it instead of engine features being worked on? Because I'd *DIE* if Wandering Hamster got some significant story progression done on it this year :)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I want to get to the bottom of that gfx_directx bug. Whenever I get around to doing some gfx_directx work I'll look into it. Will send you an instrumented version of the dll.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Contestant: BMR
Game: Legacy
Feature Request/Bugfix: The ability to delete/reorganize/move around graphics. e.g. Pressing shift+up/down to rearrange hero sprites/walkabouts/etc... Or hitting delete to remove (for example) hero sprite 6 and having everything above it automatically shift down.

Should the deleting not be doable (understandable), I'll settle for moving things around.

Should that also not be doable, hmm... no idea really, I'll be happy enough just getting Legacy out, heh.

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

That is a feature I can dig.

If I can enter something, I'd probably ask the same but for items and/attacks and anything else we can't do currently. I wouldn't fret much about making the coding work where it relocates chain's ID on attacks, but that would be up to you. Again, that's if I decide that "merciful mungbeans" will be entered.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Meowskivich wrote:Again, that's if I decide that "merciful mungbeans" will be entered.

Enter the game. Join us... Come to the dark side... *insert asthmatic breathing here*