2012 In Review 032 - Karate Fight

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

2012 In Review 032 - Karate Fight

Post by Gizmog »

Pre-Thoughts:

Hey, I did make something else last year! Awesome! Of all the games I've ever made, I think this is the one that looks the most like I thought it would when I started making it. As I recall this was supposed to be a 48 hour game, but ended up closer to 52 because of an issue with the way stats displayed. It's also a remake, or at least reimagining, of a concept I'd had years and years ago and was never able to follow through on. So I've got a lot of emotions about this one, gonna be interesting to see how it stands up to memory.

Thoughts-During:

Dunno why I chose red for the backgrounds... kinda hideous.

Ahh, dodge and aim. The deadliest combination.

Kinda wish I hadn't made the Master's stats random. Originally, there was going to be a lead-in fight against a lesser foe or two, with the master being the grand finale. Wasted too much time getting the stats to display to do it...

Post-Thoughts:

Definitely got some flaws, but still a good kid deep down. One of the biggest complaints I got from people was that dodge is overpowered. Its ability to give you an extra counter-attack is overpowered next to points in strength or defense. You can win by balancing out your stats, or going for Defense+Attack, but Aim+Dodge is clearly the deadliest combo for sneaking in extra damage on counters and it kinda undermines the design of the game, especially in tandem with the "dodge" command.

Outside of the garish red backdrop, I'm pleased with the way the graphics worked out. It was a style I was playing with at the time and while I don't know that I'd ever go back to it, I really do think The Master looks like one bad mutha. I think the punch and kick animations also worked out pretty well, and I love the little duck when someones attack misses or gets dodged.

I'd probably still recommend it, so sue me if I'm a little biased. It's not the greatest game in the world, but it doesn't ask too much of your time either. Have fun for five or ten minutes then forget about it. Just a shame it came out ahead of the trash to put on cellphones craze. I think it would've done good in that department. It was a good crash-course in slices, so I owe it a little bit for that.
Attachments
Bonus bug report: In Beelzebufo 20130410 the victory and defeat screens don't work properly. Be sure to use the included exe!
Bonus bug report: In Beelzebufo 20130410 the victory and defeat screens don't work properly. Be sure to use the included exe!
karatefight0010.png (11.25 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
Victory!
Victory!
karatefight0009.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
The action can get heated
The action can get heated
karatefight0005.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
He looks like a peeping tom when he dodges
He looks like a peeping tom when he dodges
karatefight0004.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
It's that kind of game.
It's that kind of game.