C. Kane - 2.0 Now on Steam!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

C. Kane - 2.0 Now on Steam!

Post by The Wobbler »

Update: Steam version is now live! Click here to buy: http://store.steampowered.com/app/385030/

Also available for Android devices on the Google Play store! https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... land.ckane

Demo versions are available here for Windows, Mac, and Linux: http://superwalrusland.com/wiki/index.php?title=C._Kane

A complete, illustrated manual explaining the game's characters and setting is available here: http://superwalrusland.com/CKaneManual.pdf

8bit and Glock did a really great job with the music and the playtesters did an awesome job catching little things I would have otherwise missed. I'm sure there are still one or two little issues that are going to crop up, so if you run into anything weird, let us know!

---

Background

For years, video games have been moving further and further away from “toys” and more towards their one true goal: To Be Art.

With C. Kane, the dream of a thousand indie game designers has finally been fulfilled. Critics have asked when games would get their own Citizen Kane; we have answered their question. The answer is right now, in this game whose manual you are reading. Thank you for supporting Games As Art!

C. Kane is a short form turn-based RPG that streamlines the genre to its basics; fighting monsters, talking to people, playing dress up. Dungeons are minimalist, graphics are monochrome. Random battles are no more, bosses are numerous. A Shark guides the way. An original hip hop soundtrack provides the beats.

Story

On his 18th birthday, a young Media Mogul begins a quest to save the world. The Earth is in ruins and the Dark Wizard Gettys rules from high atop the Dark Tower in the east.

With his father's sage advice safely in his mind, Charles recruits a band of brave warriors to cleanse the world of the Four Deadly Dungeon Masters.

Along the way, he may learn the truth about what destroyed this once beautiful world.

The Cast

Charles (C. Kane)

Charles is the son of a famous space captain. He awakes on his 18th birthday to disturbing news, as the Wizard Gettys' reign of terror continues.

Using his Journalism abilities, Charles can buff his and his allies' stats and debilitate enemies.

Leland

Leland is a lifelong friend of the Kane family and has lived in the space beneath their porch for several years. Leland comes from a distant town unknown to humans and always has a positive attitude.

Leland's Wildlife abilities are used for a variety of situations; absorbing enemy health, foraging for food, or simply laying down massive damage.

Emily

Charles' wife. Emily belongs to an order which is responsible for finding new bodies for humans who have died of unnatural causes. This order is essential in maintaining the survival of Monorado, the last known human settlement.

Using her White Magic, Emily can heal wounds, revive the dead, and boost magical attack power.

Susan

Once a pupil of the Dark Wizard Gettys, Susan is now part of a special force tasked with bringing him down. Susan is a stranger to the people of Monorado, living her life in the shadows outside of town. The Mayor trusts her completely.

Susan's Black Magic allows her to summon elemental allies to attack her enemies.

Gettys

In the old days, Gettys was a friend of the Kane family. Now, he controls an army of the living dead and spreads disease across the land from his Dark Tower. No one knows how he controls this terrible power or for what purpose he wields his terrible magic.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Good gosh, I love the music in this game. I want the World Map theme as a ringtone. Please tell me which number to text "Mountain Duck" to in order to make that happen.

I haven't finished it yet, I am only just pass the first boss, but alread, it has evoked several laugh-out-louds :)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Good gosh, I love the music in this game. I want the World Map theme as a ringtone. Please tell me which number to text "Mountain Duck" to in order to make that happen.

I haven't finished it yet, I am only just pass the first boss, but alread, it has evoked several laugh-out-louds :)
8bit's going to be uploading the soundtrack soon so maybe you'll be able to!
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

There appears to be a bad wall map or an invisible NPC in Mr. Pepper's shop. He is in the lower left corner.

Also, how do I get the shovel? I've talked to everyone in town. Some guy says he wants an anime but I don't know where to get it. I suspect this puzzle isn't supposed to be this hard.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

No one in town is cool enough to have the anime to give to him.

Solution: Leave town, fight the Shark on the world map. Each time you defeat him, you get a new reward. The second round gives you the anime.

Edit: Good catch on the NPC! There used to be something there but I messed up removing it. It's not a big deal so I'll wait on uploading a new version until more people have finished it.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I beat the game.

I laughed.
I cried.
I burped.
Shivers ran down my spine.
I burped again.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

There's an invisible "boxes of clothing and trash" in the armor shop.

Spray has no sound effect.

The clue for L doesn't match any of the letters in Heracles's code. I assume it's meant to match the last letter, since I never found any other clue that did.

I beat the game. Does the ending vary depending on who you picked?

The sound direction for this game is superb.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Bob the Hamster wrote:I beat the game.

I laughed.
I cried.
I burped.
Shivers ran down my spine.
I burped again.
Now that's what I like to hear.
Mogri wrote:There's an invisible "boxes of clothing and trash" in the armor shop.

Spray has no sound effect.

The clue for L doesn't match any of the letters in Heracles's code. I assume it's meant to match the last letter, since I never found any other clue that did.

I beat the game. Does the ending vary depending on who you picked?

The sound direction for this game is superb.
Uploading a new version now that fixes all these minor things.

Endings: There are four.
One for going on each of the dates and one for finishing the game without going on any of the dates.

So who did y'all go steady with?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Just got past the first Dungeon Master and am loving it so far. The shark as voluntary pointless battle for EXP, Gold and Loot is a super intriguing concept and the jokes are excellent.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I went with Alice. I am filled with regret for what might have been. I should have gone with Leland.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Gizmog wrote:Just got past the first Dungeon Master and am loving it so far. The shark as voluntary pointless battle for EXP, Gold and Loot is a super intriguing concept and the jokes are excellent.
You been writing good reviews lately so I hope I can trouble you for one once you're done with your 2012 reviews.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I was kinda hoping to squeeze it in earlier, but we'll see.
8bifit
Slime Knight
Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

Post by 8bifit »

Hey hay hi! You want the soundtrack to the "Citizen Kane of Video Games?" Well here it is. For FREE!

Enjoy yourselves, ya little bastards! (But not too much. It's unseemly.)

C. Kane Soundtrack
Last edited by 8bifit on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

This is the best Movie Game since Iron Man 3: The Video Game.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Makin' news, gettin' views. Jared Fogle. http://kotaku.com/this-is-actually-the- ... 1372585682